Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Car Advice

Our 4 year old C Class is now rapidly approaching 80k miles, which has got me thinking about its replacement. I have found since we had our second child, the C is just too small for us (as I now have to have my seat too far forward to give her room).

I have arranged finance for up to 30k, originally was looking for <1 year old car with a couple of thousand on the clock. But after discovering Carwow last night, and finding finance deals on new cars not too dissimilar to that of the almost new that I was looking at this is now on the list.

We currently have an estate (with 2 children and a Labrador its necessary). The initial thought was to just step up to an E Class estate (either the E200 or E220 diesel), and have found some good deals. But now I am starting to think more and more about the mid sized SUVs (XC60 / Discovery Sport / X3)

I love the look of the extra space, and living in a rural area with pretty awful roads the extra ground clearance / AWD will be useful. The issue is that I am struggling to work out how similar the running costs will be, or if theres anything else I should be aware of. We do circa 15k miles a year.

Has anyone moved from an estate to SUV that can pass on their experience?
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We moved from a 2010 2 litre Volvo V60 to a 2015 Volvo XC60. I love it! I also have 2 kids and a Labrador, the boot space is perfect especially for my work equipment too. Fuel wise I would say the XC60 is more efficient but I'm guessing that's because it's newer, I know nothing about the technical side of cars 😳. We used to have the XC90, now that was a gas guzzler! Although I loved that car too!
Would highly recommend the XC60 to anyone. Over and above anything else when I get in it I feel 'safe' if you know what I mean?

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We went from a Ford Mondeo estate to an XC60. 2teens, 2 labs and a caravan! We never wanted an SUV but wouldn't go back now as it's so comfy and versatile, great for towing and lots of room inside. Our only main issue is that it really doesn't like short journeys, the low battery warning comes on a fair bit but it's never (touch wood) not started.
Old 28 Apr 17, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
You might have to wait for delivery but have a look at the skoda kodiaq 7 seats and loads of kit.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

My Mum has recently bought a GLC - she can comfortably get her 4 dogs in it and she's had 4 people in it comfortably. It's a lovely car. She got the 250d as she said the 220d was a bit gutless.

Running costs, I can't really help as we don't have motorways/dual carriageways do our driving is considered mostly urban. But engines have been getting more efficient, not less, so you'll probably be spending the same or less on fuel than you are now. Check out the new vehicle tax rules on new cars though.
Old 28 Apr 17, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
. Check out the new vehicle tax rules on new cars though.
Thanks for the timely reminder, I hadn't thought to look at the new tax rules at the time as it wasn't going to impact me...

Wish I'd thought about this a bit more a couple of months ago...

Starting to feel my age, in the past I picked a car on how it looked and how it drives. Today I'm erring towards the Volvo because I love the look of the integrated car seat in the family pack...

Edited at 08:44 AM.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We've got a new xc60 also family of 2 teens and a lab 😀

It's a fab car. Absolutely huge boot. Excellent on fuel. Would highly recommend
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
You might have to wait for delivery but have a look at the skoda kodiaq 7 seats and loads of kit.
It's a lot of motor. Very impressed with how it looks and all that room inside. Super build quality too
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List