Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 16 Jan 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
I LOVE patty melts! Was so happy when I went to 7Bone Burger Co in Bournemouth and discovered that they do a GREAT one! So if you're ever near Bournemouth, Southampton or Camberley (their other two locations), maybe give them a try!
Oh, I could hug you DisneyDreamer - Poot has asked to go down to the Jurassic Coast this summer - surely a patty melt stop on the way could be arranged!

We had another really good patty melt on this holiday - at the Breadbox at Universal (Citywalk). It was significantly cheaper than the one at Beaches and Cream.

Perkins does really nice ones, too. We meant to get over to (The Crossroads) Perkins but could never fit it in!

Day 5 food up in a few minutes...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Great food report! Subscribed
Old 16 Jan 17, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 5

Another Garden Grocer breakfast this morning - it was great to settle Poot at the table with some cereal and fruit (and - of course - his beloved Weather Channel) while I had a shower and got ready.

Lunch - A&W, Premium Outlets (Vineland)

We had lunch today at the Premium Outlets food court - I was unprepared for the airport/motorway services/theme park prices!

As we looked around, I saw they had a couple of healthier options, and so decided on...A&W.

I have fond memories of A&W from my teen years - the one near our house had carhops on roller skates!

A&W sells Poot’s favourite American junk food (cheese curds) and my favourite American beverage (diet root beer). I didn’t know they also sold corn dog nuggets. We tried these at Casey’s Corner (in the Magic Kingdom) in 2014 and we were both keen to try them again.

For the nuggets (these came with fries), curds and a soda it was $15. Poot had water (they very kindly gave me a FREE bottle of water for him, as their soda fountain was on the fritz).

I didn’t think the corn dogs were as good as the Casey’s ones - but those curds...drool….

After we finished up our outlet shopping, we walked over to a nearby Publix - and on our way we passed a McDonald’s, a Brazilian restaurant (can’t remember the name) and an Outback Steakhouse - all of which were a no more than 10-12 minute walk away from the outlets. If you know that area at all - you walk past the Helicopter pad to get to the Publix/Outback.

Next time I think we'd make that walk to get a better (or cheaper, lol) lunch.

At Publix we bought Carnation Malted Milk Powder, Heath Toffee Bits and Rice Chex (to make muddy buddies).

Obviously, we can get McDonald’s in England - but we did duck in on the way back from Publix for an ice cream sundae (because it was HOT that day ) - and the prices here were MUCH lower than those at the Outlets’ food court. So if you/your kids like Mac and Don’s Supper Club...keep that in mind.

Dinner, Blaze Fast-Fire'd Pizza, Disney Springs

After listening to some music at the Waterside Stage, we decided to try Blaze Pizza. There was a massive queue out the door - but it seemed to be moving quickly. The gimmick here is that your pizza cooks in 180 seconds; I thought that boded well for the speed of the line!

I was pretty impressed; we zipped through the line and were placing our order in no time. And this place is GOOD value (for Disney).

If you “create” your own pizza you can add as many toppings as you want - and it’s all the same price. They also have some “signature pizzas”, which you can either have as they come - or doctor up.

We ordered the “White Top”, which came with white cream sauce, mozzarella, bacon, garlic, oregano and rocket. I asked them to put chicken on it as well - I love chicken and bacon together ($10).

I also had a fountain drink ($3); Poot had water. With the tax our dinner cost a little less than $14.

But was one pizza enough for us?

Yes, absolutely. I think two ADULTS sharing would want a salad as well, but it was more than enough food for a woman and a 9 year old. We left a couple of bites unfinished.

How was the pizza?

It was very good - I had a similar-type pizza at Via Napoli later in the holiday - and if that was an “8”, this was a “7”. All the toppings tasted very fresh (and were plentiful) - and it really was ready in three or so minutes. My one complaint - the crust could have been just that little bit crisper.

We had to eat inside, at the long tables - all the seats outside were taken. I should have sent Poot out there to look for a table over the water right away - how pretty is this?

Inside it was all long tables with little stools arranged around them. I love to watch Americans discover a place has communal tables…

“You mean I have to SHARE?!”.

We shared our table with a big American family - both Poot and the family’s eldest boy were carrying a copy of the same book:

Poot loves this series - so far as I can tell it is full of adorable woodland creatures...killing each other.

Now the place was busy - so we didn’t lollygag - but one of the things I like about places where you order and pay at the counter is that no one comes over and “friendlies” you out the door.

Can I get you anything else?

Just checking if you need anything else?

Top up that water for you?

When you know they mean...

GET OUT! WE WANT TO TURN THE TABLE!

We did sit and visit for a while with the American family. Now they were a lesson in frugality! They were eight, and they ordered two pizzas between them. These were supplemented by snacks and drinks from a cool bag under the table.

Hmm...

For dessert we each had a couple of tiny candy bars from our MNSSHP haul. We still have candy left as I type this (16/1/17)...

If you are interested in all the lovely loot we picked up at the Premium Outlets, or directions on how to get the free Outlet Shuttle, then...

Day 5 (Premium Outlets + Disney Springs) is Here

Edited at 12:22 PM.
Old 16 Jan 17, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mrmoo123 View Post
Great food report! Subscribed
Why thank you, kind sir.
Old 16 Jan 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sannyysan
Getting Excited

Loving your posts, your photos but especially your humour

1998,1999,2000,2004,2006,2008,2009,2011, 2013, 2015, 2017 2019 Holidays with the Mouse!
sannyysan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Beana10
Proud to wear my Ears

Loving your holiday report. Have actually laughed out loud a few times. Can't wait to read more
Beana10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sannyysan View Post
Loving your posts, your photos but especially your humour

Originally Posted by Beana10 View Post
Loving your holiday report. Have actually laughed out loud a few times. Can't wait to read more
Thank you both so much - reading these two comments has made my night!

Sometimes it seems like there's so little joy in the world - we all have to do our bit!
Old 18 Jan 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great report! That pizza looks fab! I would never have considered white sauce but I relay want that right now!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 17, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Great report! That pizza looks fab! I would never have considered white sauce but I relay want that right now!
Thanks for stopping by, sha9 - you always give such good answers to my questions in the dining forum!

That pizza was GOOD. It was like a posh garlic bread, but with bacon...

I was really happy to see another restaurant in the "Earl of Sandwich price range" at DS. Super with kids, too - so quick!
Old 19 Jan 17, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 6

Just one meal "out" today.

We had our Garden Groceries (yes, again) for breakfast and after a couple hours in the pool, we got ready and grabbed the boat for Disney Springs. When we got there we crossed over the bridge…

...and walked down Hotel Plaza Boulevard until we made it here:

Thanks to Robblps for the tip about the photo opportunity here. Not that I made the most of it...

The walk down to the Crossroads took twenty minutes. And we were not lollygagging - we were MOVING. Again today we were time-rich, so it didn’t matter - but keep the distance in mind if you are planning to hoof it (especially with kids, in the heat).

Lunch, Fuddruckers (at the Crossroads):

There are a BUNCH of reasonably-priced restaurants at the Crossroads - Perkins, Fuddruckers, Noodles, Tom & Chee, Sweet Tomatoes, etc…and you can also walk to Sea Dog Brewing from here (we meant to do this - alas, another one that’ll have to wait ‘til next time ).

We picked Fuddruckers - they had emailed me a free birthday burger coupon that could be used until 5/11. It looked like this:

I LOVE Fuddruckers - but we hadn’t been to one since Poot was 2!

We each ordered a ⅓ lb cheeseburger (they will cook burgers medium-rare or even rare here, yay!) and I also asked for an order of seasoned fries to share. I got a fountain drink, Poot had:

You order at the counter at Fudd’s -

- they give you a beeper that goes off when your food is ready. There is a massive toppings bar - lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers and salsa -as well as all the usual condiments. Best of all - they have PLASTIC CHEESE!

Mmm...liquid gold...

This was Poot’s first taste of plastic cheese - he was not a fan.

“That tastes weird, Mother. Not like cheese should taste.”

See what happens when you live in France (even for part of the year like we do) ?

Your children become cheese snobs!

Our difference of opinion as regards plastic cheese notwithstanding - we had a great lunch here. The burgers were fresh and delicious - and just as good as I remembered. I also really liked the spices on the fries - even though this “sort” of fry (more like a wedge) isn’t my favourite.

My photo’s not so great - here’s a better one.

Total cost of lunch - $13. Use those birthday coupons, people!

I just realised typing this...we ate rather a lot of beef on this holiday - please don’t tell Al Gore…

I decided that we would have an in-room picnic dinner tonight so that we’d be sure to eat a few vegetables (from our Garden Grocer order)!

...and also so we could watch Game 6 of the World Series…

Poot loves baseball - and even though we are Twins fans ‘round ours - he had gotten quite caught up in the story of the Cubs’ attempt to break the “Billy Goat Curse”.

My brother lived in Chicago for years, I’ve been to the Billy Goat Tavern...can’t imagine what those World Series game nights were like there...

If you want to know what else we did today...

Day 6 (Resort Hopping, Fuddruckers and PINS) is Here

DDP days next!

Edited at 12:42 PM.