Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 May 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
A very broad and generalised statement ! My brother used to be a fire fighter and did work on the side. He was as meticulous with that work as he was when attending a fire. I’m sure he’s not the only one.
I am sure he did a good job but it is the “on the side” that is the problem. Usually implies no liability insurance, income tax, invoices, undercutting genuine tradespeople etc. Someone doing work “on the side” isn’t necessarily going to give your job priority and there is no come back if it goes wrong.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

Actually, all the firefighters I have used treat their part-time job as a business. They have qualifications, pay tax etc. and offer quality work, with guarantees. Many were tradesman before joining the Fire Service. They don't undercut other tradesman because they use good materials and charge an appropriate hourly rate. The drawback, as Mickey mentioned, is that they are only available for 4 days, then they have to do their "proper" job for 4 days.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
A very broad and generalised statement ! My brother used to be a fire fighter and did work on the side. He was as meticulous with that work as he was when attending a fire. I’m sure he’s not the only one.
I am not suggesting fire fighters don't do good quality work, although I'm sure some do better quality work than others. Having them to do small jobs might be fine, but I personally wouldn't employ anyone who works full time on shifts to do a job for me, and most certainly not a bigger job that would usually take days or weeks to do, as they could only do it outside of their full time shifts.

I would not only be concerned at a fireperson (I better be PC), doing work for me inbetween their shifts, but if they are working their days off and after and/or before their shifts (which is only when they could do work) that would slightly worry me as people need time off to recuperate, and spending a day doing work for someone in their home and then going to their potentially physically challenging job with limited sleep and rest beforehand, can't be a good thing if they have a busy/demanding shift ahead of them.

I would feel the same if the surgeon operating on me was moonlighting, so my comment isn't aimed at just fire fighters.

Edited at 11:50 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have used Checkatrade to find my roofer, I will let you know if that was a good decision. He's local anyway so he won't be disappearing with our cash!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I have used Checkatrade to find my roofer, I will let you know if that was a good decision. He's local anyway so he won't be disappearing with our cash!
Checkatrade charge their tradespeople around a grand a year just be be listed on their website, so it's not in the tradesperson's interest to do poor quality work or their customer feedback won't be good.

I have used Checkatrade a couple of times to get work done at my mum's house.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I hate to disagree with you MM but I agree with ericsmum. My DH was a FF (joiner to trade). Many of his fellow FF's had a trade whether they were joiners, electricians, plasterers, roofers, etc and they were, and some still are great at their job, both at fire fighting and as tradesmen. The fire service has changed since DH was in the job, back then you could clock on and be in your bed by 10 at night. Sleep all night unless out on a call then work on the tools the following day. Nowadays different areas have different shift hours but generally when on night shift "downtime" is 12 midnight till 6am when they can sleep if not called out.

We recently got our roof redone last summer. It was done by a FF, who is a roofer to trade. Did a great job. Our bathroom major overhaul completed a couple of years ago was done by DH and the electrical work done by a friend of DH's who is still in the fire brigade.

DH was able to work as a FF and build our house at the same time.

OP, don't be put off asking at a local station
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
No problem with anyone fire fighters etc doing the work , providing they have

Liability insurance. As my husband used to have
Pay income tax on their income
Have a qualification
Doesn’t interfere with the day job

The issue for many builders and tradesmen is simply

Fireman has a regular income so can easily undercut the guy whose livelihood depends on the work. However that’s life.

As for OP

Word of mouth is the best way to go, check they have insurances etc. My husband worked for over thirty years mainly word of mouth no need to go on check a trade or local papers. Good tradesmen can be found the key to them being good is that you’ll have to wait as they’re booked up. My husband was booked roughly 6 months ahead
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
I ask for recommendations on our local Facebook selling page. DS got the keys to his first house on Monday, I advertised on Facebook last night for a plasterer, I was given several recommendations, one came and quoted last night and started the work this morning. There were lots of photos on his business page of his work.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List