Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney_chick13 View Post
Nope your glasses are not wrong. After a certain age (around 40ish) the eyes lose their ability to accommodate, this is why we start to need a separate prescription for near... the distance you are describing (arms length) will require a compensated prescription and a separate pair of glasses. Either that or you may wish to consider a multifocal lens.

You will need to see a dispensing optician as they can calculate your intermediate prescription based upon your full near prescription, age and distance you wish to see at.
i tried varifocals and couldn't get on with them, i do a lot of moving and handling with patients at work and so i can't move my head during this to accommodate for the different part of the lens which was reading strength - does that make sense? The arms length distance then -is that reading or another prescription?
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
i tried varifocals and couldn't get on with them, i do a lot of moving and handling with patients at work and so i can't move my head during this to accommodate for the different part of the lens which was reading strength - does that make sense? The arms length distance then -is that reading or another prescription?
It depends... a normal near prescription is based on an approximately 30cm working distance... some people still have enough accommodation that they can just about get away with using a near pair to see at arms length. If not you’ll need a dispensing optician to calculate what they call an “intermediate” prescription (approximately arms length)

I’m guessing that since the old ones are ok for arms length that the new distance prescription is stronger than before?

The optician May suggest using the old pair for intermediate depending on what they calculate the intermediate prescription to be.

Don’t be afraid to try varifocals again as there are thousands of different types on the market, it’s just a case of finding the right one for you. Either that or a bifocal lens could be a good option too 😊
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney_chick13 View Post
It depends... a normal near prescription is based on an approximately 30cm working distance... some people still have enough accommodation that they can just about get away with using a near pair to see at arms length. If not you’ll need a dispensing optician to calculate what they call an “intermediate” prescription (approximately arms length)

I’m guessing that since the old ones are ok for arms length that the new distance prescription is stronger than before?

The optician May suggest using the old pair for intermediate depending on what they calculate the intermediate prescription to be.

Don’t be afraid to try varifocals again as there are thousands of different types on the market, it’s just a case of finding the right one for you. Either that or a bifocal lens could be a good option too 😊
yeah but they're not that strong, i think i may wait a couple of weeks and use a combination of glasses and see how i get on. Thank you very much for your help
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
yeah but they're not that strong, i think i may wait a couple of weeks and use a combination of glasses and see how i get on. Thank you very much for your help
No problem 😊
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 04:58 AM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

I had to resort to wearing two different pairs of spectacles for the last 3 ish years. Now however my sight has changed somewhat. After trying “multifocal contact lenses” I gave up after almost a year and several different brands. I developed an intolerance to them leading to other sight issues and now I wear bifocals in a very stylish pair of Ray-Ban’s which allows be to read monitors and see across the room. It’s helped my near vision no end and now I can sew again and read very fine print which is invaluable at work. My only slight regret is not getting the “transitions” coating on them. If you can get that added for a reasonable charge do it. It was just out of budget for me this time around since the frames were a big part of the cost but they were a perfect fit and will last well.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

I have had a new persciption and one eye is clearr than the other it seems i have a perminent smudge on the lens all the time. I am short sighted so wear them all the time. Been back once and they adjusted the frame and after 10 mins of switching eyes to see if they were better i came away not sure! Now i am going back because as above my old glasses seem ok.
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

I thought they would have prescribed some healing eye drops for you to repair the front of your eye surface. I tried Hycosan in the dark green bottle and then used a microwaveable eye bag twice a day for a week. After that I tried another type of eye drops Opticrom from the chemist for about ten days. It helped a lot, I had a lot of deep scratches to both eyes before I started using those drops and it was impairing my vision for sure before they healed up.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List