Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 May 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Very well said. Underneath the slick advertising and schmaltz they are just a half decent operator with an ageing fleet (ion the route to Florida) .
Their customer service in the event of issues ain’t generally great, although I was uplifted by the post of the cancer patient who had had to cancel and later, resurrect her holiday dreams, the other day.
Ah Virgin holidays

They do the big gestures well but Day to day is another matter. After their awful attitude towards those with AKL bookings when the pool closure was announced spoke volumes.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

One thing that I noticed is that you were travelling in economy delight which does include the middle section. I wonder if virgin let the other passenger pay extra for the ec delight section which is why you where placed in an unsafe position.

It strikes me that the entire ec delight offering isn’t well thought out if this is the case as there is no place to sit disabled people safely.

I really think this needs bringing to their attention as well otherwise it will continue to happen.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Apparently the crew aren’t even supposed to help passengers load suitcases masquerading as hand luggage into the overhead bins. I can see why tbh
We flew Domestic AA in March and this lady got on with far too much baggage.

She said to the very no nonsense crew member "you will need to help me put these bags overhead" no please ... He said "I will not madam, you will do it or they go in the hold"
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Apparently the crew aren’t even supposed to help passengers load suitcases masquerading as hand luggage into the overhead bins. I can see why tbh

I am 4ft 9 and travel alone with my daughter, therefore I cannot reach the overhead bins - how do I go about getting it into the bin if i cannot reach? I have previously flown in the bubble so this is not an issue as there is a wadrobe you can put them in?

What should I do in this instance? Would i be better requesting special assistance on my booking?

thanks
stacey
stace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by stace View Post
I am 4ft 9 and travel alone with my daughter, therefore I cannot reach the overhead bins - how do I go about getting it into the bin if i cannot reach? I have previously flown in the bubble so this is not an issue as there is a wadrobe you can put them in?

What should I do in this instance? Would i be better requesting special assistance on my booking?

thanks
stacey
If I ever struggle to put anything in the overhead bin, I just ask someone to help! Usually it’s a gentleman passing but no-one has ever said no! My OH has helped many to put things in the overhead bin. I wouldn’t worry about it (and don’t think you’d be able to request special assistance for it anyway).
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Ex cabin crew here. Crew are not required to help passengers put cases in the overhead. They may do so to be helpful, if the passenger cannot reach/has mobility issues and the bag isn't large or heavy. We did not help with heavy bags as we could injure ourselves. Sometimes passengers would help others with their bags which is fine, but again not something to rely on.

If you can't put it in the overhead yourself you shouldn't be bringing it onboard. Also keep in mind if you can't put it in yourself, don't expect the crew to be at your service taking it in and out of the locker during the flight! That's not what they are there for.

So answer for the short lady above is just bring a bag you can store under the seat in front!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stace View Post

thanks
stacey
I’ve often been asked (as a fellow passenger) if I could place something in an overhead bin as I am very tall (for a female!). I would do happily to help. I get asked all the time in the supermarket if I could reach things from shelves too. Not a problem and happy to help. I am sure other passengers would offer to help if they could see you struggling.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
So answer for the short lady above is just bring a bag you can store under the seat in front!
Last time I flew solo - London to Vegas with BA - I did just that. Only to discover that there was no room for bags under the seat in front of me.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
Last time I flew solo - London to Vegas with BA - I did just that. Only to discover that there was no room for bags under the seat in front of me.

/Mo
Sounds odd- why was that? Even if there's an IFE box in the way I've always found room for my rucksack during take off and landing.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I’ve often been asked (as a fellow passenger) if I could place something in an overhead bin as I am very tall (for a female!). I would do happily to help. I get asked all the time in the supermarket if I could reach things from shelves too. Not a problem and happy to help. I am sure other passengers would offer to help if they could see you struggling.
I have a friend who, two years ago, did exactly as you outlined above - "helped" a lady by her bag in the overhead bin. The bag was seriously heavy and the result was my friend damaged her spine and has been left with severely restricted mobility as a result.

Now I will not allow my husband help someone lift anything to the overhead bins - he is tall.

We only travel with what I can get into the overhead and would never expect any crew member to lift anything - why should they?