Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 May 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Minimanam
Apprentice Imagineer

Minimanam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cash/Credit Card or even Travellers Cheques?

I guess this question has been asked many times but hoping people can help me make a decision!

In the past we have taken $'s and TC's but I know TC's are becoming less and less common.

We have had a bad experience with Currency Cards so we are very reluctant to use these again.

We have a Natwest Credit Card but know this will be any expensive way to spend money.

We are anticipating spending $2,500 on food, gifts and shopping for the 5 of us over 3 weeks.

Any advice would be most welcome as the depature day is fast approaching

Port Orleans Riverside

Art of Animation Suite

2016 - Art of Animation Suite

2019 - Beach Club Resort

Minimanam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Personally for us it’s cash and TCS! Old school I know - I’m 26 I’m impressed I know what TCS are! But they’re the way for us in America
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

$2500 between 5 of you...wow, that’s not much.

Anyway, forget the travelers cheques, that’s so 1990. We took 1/3 of our money as cash, 2/3 on Revolut. We also took our Amex as back up.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Minimanam
Apprentice Imagineer

Minimanam's Reviews
Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
$2500 between 5 of you...wow, that’s not much.

Anyway, forget the travelers cheques, that’s so 1990. We took 1/3 of our money as cash, 2/3 on Revolut. We also took our Amex as back up.
We are on the DDP so money for tips, treats, gifts and a quick mall trip

Port Orleans Riverside

Art of Animation Suite

2016 - Art of Animation Suite

2019 - Beach Club Resort

Minimanam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
You'll get people giving you pros for all of the options you've asked about.

Personally, we take some dollars (a few hundred- nothing much) then use Revolut for daily spends and a Clarity card for hotels, car hire etc where a hold may be put on the card.

Whilst your Natwest card won't be the cheapest way of spending it isn't as bad as you think. You'll get about as many $ per £ (even allowing for a transaction fee) as you would buying Travellers cheques or exchanging cash (just check out the exchange rates you get compared to the mastercard rate).

Edited at 12:04 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Cash and a credit card for emergencies only
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Yes it is asked regularly as you say and it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask again and everyone is entitled to a valid and respected opinion.

I might be 73 but I do understand the insurance implications of taking cash and, as at last month, was still capable of spotting the difference between a $1 bill and a $50 note in my wallet.

We are a mature couple who stay in a villa and eat breakfast and dinner out nearly every day. We take cash with a CC as back up and for spending on larger purchases at the likes of Macy's and B&BW.

We take out $100 a day which 90% of the time covers our dining. Anything left goes into a kitty in the safe. When the kitty is large enough we use it for supermarket shopping and gas.

When we run out of our original $$ I withdraw in $600 chunks from Wawa - they don't charge.

Tried a card about 10 years ago. Maybe they've improved but not for us. Seen loads of DIBB posts saying "had trouble with an XYZ card". Never had trouble with little green bits of paper.

Nothing against TC either. Used them up to maybe 6 or 7 years ago but found increasingly that younger staff in stores didn't know how to process them.

Mick

Edited at 02:58 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Mobile

So what if TC are old fashioned? Still the safest way to take money.

No they are not perfect but i regularly see people posting that they are having problems with their cards so thats not foolproof either!

For us we do a combination - cash,cards and TC. Would never want to rely on a sole source of funding - would always want to have a back up in case one method failed for any reason
jonsgirl80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

I would suggest having a look at tandem credit card, no foreign exchange charge and they give you 0.5% cash back. I’ve never had a problem with it being rejected anywhere in the US or Europe. Also gives you more protection than taking cash or putting money on a pre-paid card.

I usually have a bit of cash, credit card (tandem) plus revolut and starling so even if I have a problem with one payment method I should have a backup.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

A lot of Dibbers use the Halifax Clarity credit card for most things as there are no fees for foreign purchases. I'm going on a solo trip in September for 10 nights. I'm staying in Beach Club and have free DDP and free $200 gift card. I'm taking my Halifax Clarity card and about $100 in cash. I'm spending a day in Discovery Cove and will buy a couple of souvenirs there with the card. The rest of my time will be at Disney.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List