Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 21 May 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Grimbjb
Excited about Disney

Mobile Disability Badge

Hi, we are traveling in August this year and my mum is coming, she is disabled and has a blue badge. I have read we need to take that to one of the tax offices to get a temporary one that is valid during our visit, we are staying in a Villa at Lindfields, can anyone advise where the closest office is that we can visit to do this please?

Thank you 😊
Grimbjb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandad
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

It’s been a while but you can either do it online I believe or take it to the Polk county tax office which is roughly at the junction of the Us27 and i4 . It’s on the 27 or was about 5 years ago.
Megandad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandad
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Actually just go the search function on here and type in disability parking and there’s a complete thread on it
Megandad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

You can obtain one in advance of your visit which will be posted to you - there are lots of details on the special needs thread.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Grimbjb View Post
Hi, we are traveling in August this year and my mum is coming, she is disabled and has a blue badge. I have read we need to take that to one of the tax offices to get a temporary one that is valid during our visit, we are staying in a Villa at Lindfields, can anyone advise where the closest office is that we can visit to do this please?

Thank you 😊
Here is what you can do rather than waste precious holiday time queuing at the office

Below are the steps my brother takes; apply circa 6 weeks afore trip, the Fl placard will be mailed to the UK. NOTE: in the top section of the form where it asks for Florida driving licence or ID card simply write NON-US. Brother puts his travel dates in the email text he sends George Woody. You need only complete the top 4 lines and sign, ignore all others including the section about a Dr's signature, your UK badge/pp copy is sufficient.

Below are George Woody's details/email (scan completed form, disabled badge/pp into puter, then email to George Woody). Upon receipt of confirmation email ring 001-407-254-1039 to pay $17. A receipt will be issued, placard processed and mailed to your UK home.

GEORGE A.L. WOODY, ASSISTANT MANAGER, AGENCY 11, OPERATIONS CENTER... Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph

Phone: 407-254-1039 Fax: 407-254-1074

email: gwoody@octaxcol.com

Greetings,

To issue a US Parking placard I will need you to complete the attached form and return with signature and travel dates. I will also need a copy of your blue badge (front and back), and your passport. The fee is $17.00 US Dollars [$15 + $2 card fee] that can be paid by credit card after processing your documents. Thank you

Downloaded the form HERE
Old 22 May 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
annieh
Trying for More Ears

We've just come back I just want to say that all the theme parks recognise our blue badge and will direct you to the appropriate parking, this was also our experience at restaurants, shops and the outlets.

"Handicap Parking Permits
Florida recognizes license plates and parking permits displaying the international symbol of accessibility that has been issued by any state or foreign country." Florida Tourist Info Board

orlandotouristinformationbur...ing-badges.htm

Edited at 03:18 PM.
annieh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by annieh View Post
We've just come back I just want to say that all the theme parks recognise our blue badge and will direct you to the appropriate parking, this was also our experience at restaurants, shops and the outlets.

"Handicap Parking Permits
Florida recognizes license plates and parking permits displaying the international symbol of accessibility that has been issued by any state or foreign country." Florida Tourist Info Board

orlandotouristinformationbur...ing-badges.htm
Hi Annie - whilst a UK disabled badge is recognised in Fl, as our Gov hologramed the international symbol of accessibility (wheelchair logo) Fl law enforcement, checking the badge thro the windscreen, may not see the wheelchair logo and ticket/action motor removal.

Asked our Lee County deputy pal re the hologramed wheelchair logo, he discussed with their traffic dept. They advise; as the hologram wheelchair logo isn't visible until badge rotation, to avoid a law enforcement issue one should obtain a Fl temporary placard for $17.

Edited at 09:38 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Grimbjb
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thank you all for your replies it’s really helpful 😊
Grimbjb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
annieh
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Annie - whilst a UK disabled badge is recognised in Fl, as our Gov hologramed the international symbol of accessibility (wheelchair logo) Fl law enforcement, checking the badge thro the windscreen, may not see the wheelchair logo and ticket/action motor removal.

Asked our Lee County deputy pal re the hologramed wheelchair logo, he discussed with their traffic dept. They advise; as the hologram wheelchair logo isn't visible until badge rotation, to avoid a law enforcement issue one should obtain a Fl temporary placard for $17.
Good to know, that’s not been our experience this year or previous - but to be fair we’ve not parked anywhere that it’s likely to be as all the parks checked the badge before allowing us through anyway 😀.
annieh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by annieh View Post
Good to know, that’s not been our experience this year or previous - but to be fair we’ve not parked anywhere that it’s likely to be as all the parks checked the badge before allowing us through anyway 😀.
Hi Annie, if you're checked going into parks/private parking areas you'll likely be ok. Issues (tickets/tow away) may arise if parked in public disabled bays where law enforcement check the area. Seems daft that the UK Gov 'hid' the international symbol of accessibility in a hologram, I'm surprised it's never UK reared it's ugly head.

Coincidentally a Canadian lady and I recently discussed non Fl disabled badges/parking (seems no discussion is taboo whilst naked following a shower in the pool changing room! ). Following recent hip replacement she brought her Canadian disabled badge vs applying for a temp Fl placard. She left the pool one day to discover a warning on her windscreen. Luckily the deputy was still there so she approached for a chat. He said he'd never seen a Canadian disabled card before, she pointed out the highly visible wheelchair international symbol logo, he accepted her disability and rescinded the warning notice.