Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 May 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

West coast plan and Yosemite query

So I have a plan sort of finalised, hoping to book most of it next week. Appreciate any comments, suggestions etc. For Yosemite we’re looking at staying nearby and having a full day to have a look around, kids won’t be up for really hiking anywhere so possibly driving around and stopping regularly. Or should we go into the main bit and I think there’s some sort of tour thing? Or will it be stupid busy and better just to explore by car? We found a really nice log cabin at Shaver Lake to stay in for that bit if it’s still available.

18 August - Fly to SF
19 to morning of 22 - SF stuff
22 - Pick up car, drive to shaver lake via Columbia stop for lunch (cute Wild West style town)
23 - Yosemite
24 - Drive through Yosemite to Bishop to stay the night, hot springs somewhere if we can
25 - Drive to LA area, either straight to Anaheim or possibly stop a night somewhere east of LA depending on timings
26 - LA, maybe Santa Monica, bev hills etc
27 to 29 - Disney
30 - Paramount studio tour (struggling to justify the cost of Universal for a day, already done Orlando twice although I know it has different stuff)
31 - Amtrak coast starlight back up to SF
1 Sep - fly home
Thecornflake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi I think I would take a day of LA area and add to yosemite.have a look at a map and see if you want to go to bishop. The more popular venue would be Monterey and the down coast to LA area. Perhaps more for kids this way as well. In Monterey aquarium is super.

Edited at 08:46 AM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi I thonk I would take a day of LA area and add to yosemite.have a look at a map and see if you want to go to bishop. The more popular venue would be Monterey and the down coast to LA area. Perhaps more for kids this way as well. In Monterey aquarium is super.
Yes, I’d love to do Monterey etc but we also want to do the train journey up that goes along the coast and also see the east Sierras area. Driving part way then train is a pain trying to figure out dropping off cars etc.
There is the option to change Bishop to Monterey and do that route down instead, although also staying in the Monterey area looks very expensive in August.

We are hoping to do a longer 3 week trip as well in the next 2-3 years and then I’d do the whole thing by car as it’s kind of a dream to drive the Pacific coast highway.
Thecornflake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again have you considered airbnb, we have found it great
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I havent looked at airbnb yet, mainly looking at homeaway. We need a separate room for the kids so most things on places like hotels dot com arent suitable.
Old 25 May 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi - as ever a word of caution on airbnb/short term rentals. Technically not allowed in Monterey and an increasing number of areas in CA. Rules change quickly so check the latest and then make an informed decision on the risk- many people report no issues but there are the horror stories of people being turned away on arrival.

Re Yosemite I don't think the plan to drive around and stop off will be viable in the central valley area. Although it's later August it will be very busy and you may struggle to park. My advice would be to get to the valley as early as you possibly can and leave the car there. There are some shorter walks from there to the Falls and in to the meadow and you could also do the land train that will take you around the main areas on the valley floor. You'll probably need to pre-book that.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
Hi - as ever a word of caution on airbnb/short term rentals. Technically not allowed in Monterey and an increasing number of areas in CA. Rules change quickly so check the latest and then make an informed decision on the risk- many people report no issues but there are the horror stories of people being turned away on arrival.

Re Yosemite I don't think the plan to drive around and stop off will be viable in the central valley area. Although it's later August it will be very busy and you may struggle to park. My advice would be to get to the valley as early as you possibly can and leave the car there. There are some shorter walks from there to the Falls and in to the meadow and you could also do the land train that will take you around the main areas on the valley floor. You'll probably need to pre-book that.
Thanks thats really useful. We're probably going to use a hotel for the one-off nights (bishop or monterey area and last night in sf), have a country cabin booked for the 2 Yosemite nights and then homeaway probably for the longer stays in sf and anaheim but I'll do some research.

Yosemite - parking and walking a little isnt a big issue, I think after 2-3 miles it would be (our eldest has joint problems) so probably plan to get into the valley early and have a look around there, do the tour thing if we can and then drive a bit later on the way to get dinner.
Old 25 May 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Bishop to Anaheim will be a long drive. It’s also a long drive from Shaver Lake to Yosemite so I’d be tempted to add a night there too especially with the drive ahead of you to LA. How old are the kids? I guess if they’re okay with the 12 train ride they might be fine with long car journeys.

SF Airbnb is okay as long as it’s registered and you can see their reg number. Be careful though because some places are very far out and some have no parking. Never leave anything in the car in SF if you’re parked in a lot/on the street. Car break ins are very common. You might find the motels with free parking such as Columbia Motor Inn and Cow Hollow Inn better value and less hassle.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We arent planning on having a car until leaving sf. Saw a couple of places to stay in Oakland close to bart stations so would that work ok?

Kids are 10 and 16 and allowing plenty of time on the longer drives for rest stops but they're good with long car journeys.
Old 25 May 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Don’t know enough about Oakland to advice but I do know there are still some rough areas and some areas that have gentrified and are safe so do your research before booking.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List