Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 May 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Esta and insurance now or later

Booked accommodation and tickets with Disney with £100 deposit for Sept 2020
Would you wait for nearer the time when booking flights before paying for esta and annual insurance
mike4scuba is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I'd get your ESTA before spending money you can't afford to lose, preferably straight away in case there are any problems and insurance, as soon as you can. I never books flights before my ESTA - the most I spend before an ESTA is deposit on Disney hotel - only £50 since I go solo. If necessary I can take a hit of £50 but wouldn't want to for flights. I go in Septembers and get insurance as soon as I can which is a year in advance - single trip is best for me.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I can only post on the basis of consensus of most Dibber's responses to this question since they were introduced.

First of all I would say that the risks of being rejected, unless you rush the application and make mistakes on questions which have obvious answers, is very low. Having said that most Dibbers say do ESTAs before you commit any serious money to a holiday that you can't recover if your application is denied. Or at least 6 months ahead as, if you are declined, it can take that long to get a visa.

Take out insurance as soon as you commit any money to a holiday that you can't recover should you need to cancel.

I don't keep statistics to support these comments obviously but just my opinion on what the vast majority of regular Dibbers say.

We've had live ESTAs since they were introduced in Jan 2009 just in case a last minute trip beckons.

Mick
Old 25 May 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
kennycapes
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Check passport expiry dates. You'll need a new esta if you change your passport.
August 2020 CANCELLED AKL, Aug 2023 - First time on site, lets try this again
kennycapes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Originally Posted by kennycapes View Post
Check passport expiry dates. You'll need a new esta if you change your passport.
Good point will check

Also can you only apply for a new estaonce the old one expires
mike4scuba is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Now, all done no issues
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Good point will check

Also can you only apply for a new estaonce the old one expires
Sorry - I know you weren't asking me but I was here anyway.

You can renew an ESTA at anytime - it doesn't need to be expired. Depending on how long it has left you may get a message just before the payment screen saying "You already have a valid ESTA" (or words to that effect). Just ignore it and carry on.

Mick
Old 25 May 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Shell
Imagineer

Mobile

Now. I dont see why you wouldn't.
Orlando & Bahamas 1992 - Orlando 1998 - Orlando 1999 - Orlando 2000 - Polynesian Resort - Orlando 2000 - Orlando 2001 - Orlando 2003 - Kissimmee Villa - Orlando 2005 - Christmas - Orlando 2010 - Orlando 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside - Orlando 2012 - Disney Coronado Springs - HHN - Orlando & Hollywood 2014 - Orlando 2016- Disney's Coronado Springs and Universal's Cabana Bay Honeymoon 2017 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside
Miss_Shell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Griff_389
Very Serious Dibber

If you’re not going for 18 months, I’d be inclined to wait until the beginning of next year. Might was well get plenty of time on it while giving you plenty of time to sort any issues that hopefully don’t arise with the application.

I’d also not bother about insurance until I’d paid the holiday. (Unless you’re laying in instalments and want them covered).
Insurance may cost as much as you’ve paid for the deposit anyway, so wouldn’t bother taking it out now if that all you’ve paid.
We go in September this year and have only just taken insurance out now that we’ve paid the balance off.
Griff_389 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We go at the end of November. If we had to cancel now it would cost us £110. The ESTA’s have just expired, I’ll get those renewed and get the travel insurance in place before we pay the balance.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List