Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Feb 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Meat free dining

After the very helpful replies to my breakfast thread, I have another question!

This is our first trip with a vegetarian in the party. Two in fact, eldest daughter and 7 year old grandson. Neither eat meat. DD will eat fish at times. GS dislikes eggs, but eats them in pancakes, cakes etc, just not as recognisable eggs.

We will eat in the parks at times, but mostly offsite.
I can't eat beef, and have some idea of the difficulty, but as I can eat pork, chicken and fish, I always find plenty of choice.

Just wondering how it will be for the veggies in our party.
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Kittones
Dancing with Tink'

Hello! There are tonnes of veggie options in the park (compared to the rest of the US anyway). I'm speaking from a vegan perspective, but that just shows that there will be even more options for your veggie party members. I would look at disneyworld/dining/plant-based/ which lists some of the plant based options in the park. All plant-based options will have a little leaf symbol by them so you know they are meat free. Vegan Disney World is a youtube channel + instagram etc that will have plenty of information on it, and even DFB has done videos on veggie eating in the area.

Off-site you might have more trouble but a lot of places stock beyond burgers these days, and pasta with marinara sauce should be readily available in chain restaurants.
Look at happycow.net, type in where you will be in the world and it will list suitable restaurants nearby for you. You can choose the radius you are willing to travel.

I think someone mentioned there is a WholeFoods nearby. They always have loads of veggie stuff in their hot & cold buffets, and pre-packaged sandwiches and salads and stuff.

Beware of McDonalds though - in the US their fries come pre-coated in beef fat so are not vegetarian, even though they are in the UK.

I've never been off-site in Florida so I can't help with what is around specifically, but hopefully this helps a bit.
Kittones is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

I hope someone comes along and offers advice on offsite eating, just wanted to say meat-free eaters will have no problem at all onsite, quite the contrary We enjoyed some delicious meals on the quick service dining plan, which would have been decent value out of pocket at well. We also eat fish and enjoyed a nice and healthy salmon fillet at Columbia Harbour House (MK).

We lived in the midwest for a few years and meat-free options were very limited (with the exception of a wholeFoods like co-op deli) so naturally we were very apprehensive ahead of our visit. We needn't have worried! There was a good variety of meat-free meals at the parks. We particularly enjoyed the vegetarian platter at tangierine cafe (Epcot), the fried green tomato sandwich at Rosie's all American cafe (HS), the create your own tofu bowls at Satuli Canteen (AK) and the beyond burgers (at various locations) to name a few. There are also quite a few meat-free snacks that work well as a small meal for a child; my daughter is still raving about the macaroni cheese at eight spoon cafe (AK) almost a year after the 'event'
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mintybadger
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
I hope someone comes along and offers advice on offsite eating, just wanted to say meat-free eaters will have no problem at all onsite, quite the contrary We enjoyed some delicious meals on the quick service dining plan, which would have been decent value out of pocket at well. We also eat fish and enjoyed a nice and healthy salmon fillet at Columbia Harbour House (MK).

We lived in the midwest for a few years and meat-free options were very limited (with the exception of a wholeFoods like co-op deli) so naturally we were very apprehensive ahead of our visit. We needn't have worried! There was a good variety of meat-free meals at the parks. We particularly enjoyed the vegetarian platter at tangierine cafe (Epcot), the fried green tomato sandwich at Rosie's all American cafe (HS), the create your own tofu bowls at Satuli Canteen (AK) and the beyond burgers (at various locations) to name a few. There are also quite a few meat-free snacks that work well as a small meal for a child; my daughter is still raving about the macaroni cheese at eight spoon cafe (AK) almost a year after the 'event'
This sounds promising! I’m trying to massively cut back on my meant and fish intake. I’ve been looking at menus but haven’t seen the beyond burgers. does anyone know which places have them?
mintybadger is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mintybadger View Post
This sounds promising! I’m trying to massively cut back on my meant and fish intake. I’ve been looking at menus but haven’t seen the beyond burgers. does anyone know which places have them?
We had a beyond burger at Blizzard Beach and at the resort (CSR) but it's available at many other locations. At CSR quick service it wasn't on the menu - it was only through conversation with the server that we learnt of its existence, though I think now they've added plant-based options to menus everywhere. This time we're keen to try the 'impossible burger', which I believe is available at Universal and Burger King.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Kittones
Dancing with Tink'

Yes, I've heard that most plant-based burgers on site are beyond burgers - Restaurantosaurus, Pecos Bill's, Regal Eagle etc. Casey's and Friar's nook have beyond sausages, and heard you can get vegan chilli totchos in Toy Story Land.
Kittones is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Kittones View Post
Yes, I've heard that most plant-based burgers on site are beyond burgers - Restaurantosaurus, Pecos Bill's, Regal Eagle etc. Casey's and Friar's nook have beyond sausages, and heard you can get vegan chilli totchos in Toy Story Land.
Looks like this may change: just read on Vegan Disney World that Disney have signed a deal with Impossible Foods. I hope they still serve the Beyond Burger and give guests the choice, but I think this may be a Coca Cola/Pepsi thing
Old 25 Feb 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We've been to Florida over a dozen times and it feels that every time we go we have more choice as vegetarians. We always stay offsite so mostly eat outside of the parks, as previous posters have said many places stock the Impossible burgers or similar. We love Sweet Tomatoes and The Cheesecake Factory and we usually have at least one trip to The Golden Corral for their buffet. It isn't exactly gourmet food but satisfies the meat eaters in our family as well as myself and DH. We're going to try Fords Garage on our next trip and also House of Blues as they both offer plant based burgers. We've also eaten at many places in the parks, most of the menus are available to view online.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Thanks everyone, some good tips there, I will look into them!
My SIL is vegan but not coming on this trip, so it should be slightly easier than it could have been.
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

We're vegans, (DH 100%, myself about 80%, I'm 100% vegetarian but sometimes can't resist pastries etc that will have egg or dairy in them) and pretty much every restaurant and QS has at least 1 plant-based dish on the menu, so it's been super easy in WDW! Every single one we've tried has been yummy too!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List