Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Feb 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

US Domestic Flights

Hi

We're travelling to New York before going over to AMI, then Orlando. Do the price of the US domestic flights tend to go up as you get closer to departure or reduce, with there being so many on offer?

We will be flying at the end of June from New York to Tampa. Just wondering whether I need to just get them booked now. The prices are going up and down but not by much.

Many thanks
Ally
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

We did EXACTLY the same trip as you back in 2018. 5 nights NY, a week on AMI then 9 nights in Orlando.
We found the flights crept up and up nearer to the date of travel. We missed out on some really cheap Southwest Airlines tickets and as they include 2 pieces of luggage would have saved us even further. We ended up paying $128pp with Delta from LGA to TPA. Then had to add on for luggage too at online check in.
If you see a price you like then book them 😃
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We have just booked our AA ticketed from Austin to Miami for November we thought they were a decent price for economy but we do have to add luggage to that which we will do nearer the time
You can sign up to alerts from airlines like JetBlue which will give you an idea of prices
£100-130 is usually a price I’m happy with

Edited at 10:57 AM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
We did EXACTLY the same trip as you back in 2018. 5 nights NY, a week on AMI then 9 nights in Orlando.
We found the flights crept up and up nearer to the date of travel. We missed out on some really cheap Southwest Airlines tickets and as they include 2 pieces of luggage would have saved us even further. We ended up paying $128pp with Delta from LGA to TPA. Then had to add on for luggage too at online check in.
If you see a price you like then book them 😃
Thanks Smithlane... we're looking at Delta as you can prebook seats. My daughter is a nervous flier, so we wouldn't want to be split up. They have said that they can't guarantee us sitting together if we don't prebook, which I know they would say. But best to be safe than sorry. Delta are £115 each or £134 including seats at the moment. We can get slightly cheaper for a 7:30am flight, but don't fancy getting up at 4:30am. Delta have said that we would need to be at the airport 2 hours before. Did you do that? Then as you say luggage at the airport. Did you have to pay cash for luggage or can you use card? Southwest is cheaper at the moment but we can't prebook seats, which is a real shame. Hope you had a great holiday...we're NY 4 nights, as we've been before, pre-kids, AMI 4nights & Orl 12 nights.

How close to your holiday did you book your domestic flights - they were a good price? Think we must have missed the cheaper ones :/

Edited at 11:04 AM.
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
We have just booked our AA ticketed from Austin to Miami for November we thought they were a decent price for economy but we do have to add luggage to that which we will do nearer the time
You can sign up to alerts from airlines like JetBlue which will give you an idea of prices
£100-130 is usually a price I’m happy with
Thanks snowbelle... I have signed up to Kayak, skyscanner & google flights, but they don't appear to be moving much at the moment. I know as soon as I book, they'll go down!
Don't think you can prebook seats with Jetblue either can you?
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AllyD View Post
Thanks Smithlane... we're looking at Delta as you can prebook seats. My daughter is a nervous flier, so we wouldn't want to be split up. They have said that they can't guarantee us sitting together if we don't prebook, which I know they would say. But best to be safe than sorry. Delta are £115 each or £134 including seats at the moment. We can get slightly cheaper for a 7:30am flight, but don't fancy getting up at 4:30am. Delta have said that we would need to be at the airport 2 hours before. Did you do that? Then as you say luggage at the airport. Did you have to pay cash for luggage or can you use card? Southwest is cheaper at the moment but we can't prebook seats, which is a real shame. Hope you had a great holiday...we're NY 4 nights, as we've been before, pre-kids, AMI 4nights & Orl 12 nights.

How close to your holiday did you book your domestic flights - they were a good price? Think we must have missed the cheaper ones :/
Hi ya. If your daughter is a nervous flier then definitely prebook the seats as our Delta flight was full. The 4 of us were split up over 2 rows but my kids at 15 and 13 were fine. It was a strange configuration 3 seats one side and 2 the other, I found it really odd as it wasn’t balanced. Got us there in one piece though!
I think we went for the 10.30ish flight from LGA and got there more than 2 hours before. I seem to remember security was bad. That day will be in my trip report if you want to take a look, the link is in my signature.
We paid for bags 24 hours before at online check in so could pay using our CC.
It’s a shame Southwest don’t let you prebook seats but I’m under the impression you get given a boarding number then board by Group so no seats are allocated. I would be very surprised if 2 of you wouldn’t get to sit together but I understand you not wanting to take that risk.
I think we booked around this time of year for the 20th August flight, it was definitely after Christmas

Have an amazing time. In 2018 it was the year that Red Tide was horrific along the Gulf Coast but we still had a fab time, AMI is my all time favourite place in the US. We went late in August so you’ll have no issues with it at the time of year you’re going
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

I think we went for the 10.30ish flight from LGA and got there more than 2 hours before. I seem to remember security was bad. That day will be in my trip report if you want to take a look, the link is in my signature.
We paid for bags 24 hours before at online check in so could pay using our CC.
It’s a shame Southwest don’t let you prebook seats but I’m under the impression you get given a boarding number then board by Group so no seats are allocated. I would be very surprised if 2 of you wouldn’t get to sit together but I understand you not wanting to take that risk.

Have an amazing time. In 2018 it was the year that Red Tide was horrific along the Gulf Coast but we still had a fab time, AMI is my all time favourite place in the US. We went late in August so you’ll have no issues with it at the time of year you’re going
Thanks. You're right about SouthWest, just been chatting to them online. You can pay for an earlybird for upgraded boarding, but there is no guarantee that it will be available on the day. So not worth it... Delta is 11am & they said that security may take a while. I'll read your report, thanks. I have been enquiring about red tide, it did sound bad in 2018, hopefully we'll get away with it. Thanks for the info. Have a good day.

Sorry, one last question... Did you book direct with Delta? Or through someone like Expedia?

Sorry, just reading your fab report... do you have the link for the house that you stayed at on AMI? Is it a duplex? Looks lovely. Thanks. I'm going out now, so I'll leave you in a peace for a little while!

Edited at 11:48 AM.
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks. You're right about SouthWest, just been chatting to them online. You can pay for an earlybird for upgraded boarding, but there is no guarantee that it will be available on the day. So not worth it... Delta is 11am & they said that security may take a while. I'll read your report, thanks. I have been enquiring about red tide, it did sound bad in 2018, hopefully we'll get away with it. Thanks for the info. Have a good day.

Sorry, one last question... Did you book direct with Delta? Or through someone like Expedia?
Yes you’re right not worth the risk if you want guarantee it.
Thank you, hopefully it will help.
I’m led to believe that 2018 was the worst year on record for Red Tide, I honestly don’t think it will be that bad if at all this year. I don’t think AMI suffered at all last year with it. I find the AMI friends page on Facebook really helpful in getting up to date info on everything on the island.
We have got a week up in the Panhandle in August so hoping it stays well away!
I’m sure we booked direct with Delta as we paid in dollars

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 24 Feb 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Thanks snowbelle... I have signed up to Kayak, skyscanner & google flights, but they don't appear to be moving much at the moment. I know as soon as I book, they'll go down!
Don't think you can prebook seats with Jetblue either can you?
Ally .. sorry it’s been ages since we flew that route with JetBlue but I think we did pre book check their website to be sure .
We normally fly internally with AA or Delta and the flights in our experience are usually pretty full
We always book with the airline to accrue miles and to make sure that if for any reason out of our control we miss the flight we can go on the next one available
I would check T and Cs with Expedia etc as I know it has been posted here before that someone had an issue with an internal airline as they had booked through a consolidator and they had to go back through them to book another flight as they had missed theirs due to weather I think which could be time consuming.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

I find the AMI friends page on Facebook really helpful in getting up to date info on everything on the island.
We have got a week up in the Panhandle in August so hoping it stays well away!
I’m sure we booked direct with Delta as we paid in dollars
Thank you... I started a thread on here about the red tide and every one was most helpful. As you say, it doesn't sound as though it's been bad since 2018. A few others have posted about the panhandle, it sounds lovely up there too. So many places to explore.

Can you pm me with the house details of the house that you stayed at on AMI please? Thank you...