Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile Budget Trip Ideas...

I've put this in Chat rather than Trip Planning as atm it's just general musing rather than definite trip planning.

So... I've been to WDW many many times over the years since 1989. I've been very fortunate that most of these trips have been premium flights, onsite stays, loads of shopping, special meals and experiences etc (you get the picture!)

Fast forward 5yrs and I'm in a much less "flexible" financial position following a divorce, 3 house moves, a Wedding and a baby! While I wouldn't change a thing I'm starting to really long to return to WDW but this would have to be MASSIVELY on a budget, which is out of my comfort zone.

What are your top hints and tips for a "cheap" trip? There would be me, DH and DS (will be 3). It would be their first time although we have done DLP twice last year.

I'm thinking indirect flights to Miami and driving up? Has anyone done that? Coupons and offsite food. Cheap LBV hotel. Maybe just Disney tickets? (Possibly a day in US).
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
rockgems
Excited about Disney

We’ve booked through loveholidays for this year, last week of August, first of September for £750 each. That’s indirect flights and Rosen pointe Orlando hotel.
Have a look at loveholidays, they had lots of great deals. I’ve also seen others on here get good prices with BA.

With a three year old I wouldn’t bother with universal, the tickets are expensive and other than Seuss land not much for them.
Disney tickets are quite pricy as well but we are doing Disney, my DS and DH were horrified at the prospect of going to Orlando and not doing Star Wars.
Sea world are doing their 3 park ticket for around £110 and you can get a non-swim discovery cove ticket for about £50 more.
rockgems is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
This is just a personal option. we stayed celebration suites in old town it was cheap just under 500 pound for 14 nights they ran a shuttle to both WDW And US but we found the 56 linx bus better(not ideal if you have young children) parking on site was free as far as I now. We stayed in a 6 bedroom Suite with of course Kitchen ect . This is not everyone thing but it was ideal for me and my partner we payed cheap flights we got a deal it bout 1000 pound return for both of us 500 each 250 each way this was a few years ago. We did not do parks everyday we spent time arrond the 192 and old town.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Book flights at 11 months, fly in late April/May on a tue/wed/thur, look at flying from local regional airports via LHR. Some of our best flight prices over the years have been from Leeds! Use ebookers/expedia to search for the best prices - they do a little table to make it easier to choose. Keep an eye out on here - we're only going this year (Easter) because someone flagged some cheap flights lhr-mia. Look at flights to Tampa or West Palm Beach as well as Orlando and Miami.

Travel hand luggage only - you really don't need to take so much stuff (a lot of people on here disagree though ). If you're planning on staying all of the time in Orlando, then look at using Uber/Lyft instead of hiring a car. Remember there's no parking charges with uber.

The biggest money saving tip (that most disagree with) is don't go to Disney. The three Universal parks, Seaworld, Busch & Aquatica are a fraction of the cost of Disney tickets, and just as much fun. I am perfectly aware that the last sentence will be controversial, but you did ask for budget tips!

Edited at 12:20 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Book flights at 11 months, fly in late April/May on a tue/wed/thur, look at flying from local regional airports via LHR. Some of our best flight prices over the years have been from Leeds! Use ebookers/expedia to search for the best prices - they do a little table to make it easier to choose. Keep an eye out on here - we're only going this year (Easter) because someone flagged some cheap flights lhr-mia. Look at flights to Tampa or West Palm Beach as well as Orlando and Miami.

Travel hand luggage only - you really don't need to take so much stuff (a lot of people on here disagree though ). If you're planning on staying all of the time in Orlando, then look at using Uber/Lyft instead of hiring a car. Remember there's no parking charges with uber.

The biggest money saving tip (that most disagree with) is don't go to Disney. The three Universal parks, Seaworld, Busch & Aquatica are a fraction of the cost of Disney tickets, and just as much fun. I am perfectly aware that the last sentence will be inflammatory, but you did ask for budget tips!
I was going to say similar to this!

We have also chosen the 4 park magic tickets at £254 each for an adult as this offers the best value for money for our particular trip. They’re obviously not as flexible, but the savings made sense.

We plan to eat breakfast in the villa most days and take substantial snacks with us to eat in the parks. Park food prices make my eyes water! Will eat out in the evenings at a mix of places, some cheaper than others.
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

My cheapest trip was going in June (2nd cheapest was September), I booked in the Christmas/New Year sale, I kept watching the prices and one day they dropped by over £200 so I booked. I found a brilliant deal on a condo via Monarch (I know they no longer exist), then followed threads on here for deal for car hire, subscribed to vouchers for meals (like 2 for 1 entree at perkins on Wednesdays), picked up voucher magazine in gift shops and checked receipts as often the offer a discount for return visitis
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by rockgems View Post
We’ve booked through loveholidays for this year, last week of August, first of September for £750 each. That’s indirect flights and Rosen pointe Orlando hotel.
Have a look at loveholidays, they had lots of great deals. I’ve also seen others on here get good prices with BA.

With a three year old I wouldn’t bother with universal, the tickets are expensive and other than Seuss land not much for them.
Disney tickets are quite pricy as well but we are doing Disney, my DS and DH were horrified at the prospect of going to Orlando and not doing Star Wars.
Sea world are doing their 3 park ticket for around £110 and you can get a non-swim discovery cove ticket for about £50 more.
Oh thank you! Will definitely look at LoveHolidays, we've got a very cheap trip to Portugal with them for September this year but didn't realise they did Florida trips!
I'm a big fan of DC/SW and always used to do 2 trips to DC per visit but will probably wait until DS is old enough to do the Dolphin swim with us.
I agree with you about US but I'm literally the biggest HP fan ever! I haven't been since 2015 so am yet to ride Hagrids! Plus DH loves Coasters.
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
This is just a personal option. we stayed celebration suites in old town it was cheap just under 500 pound for 14 nights they ran a shuttle to both WDW And US but we found the 56 linx bus better(not ideal if you have young children) parking on site was free as far as I now. We stayed in a 6 bedroom Suite with of course Kitchen ect . This is not everyone thing but it was ideal for me and my partner we payed cheap flights we got a deal it bout 1000 pound return for both of us 500 each 250 each way this was a few years ago. We did not do parks everyday we spent time arrond the 192 and old town.
Great tip for accommodation thank you! We're really happy to stay anywhere as it's definitely just a bed for a Florida holiday! Definitely toying with the idea of car/no car - never not had a car before! DS is super chilled out and takes travelling in his stride.
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post

The biggest money saving tip (that most disagree with) is don't go to Disney. The three Universal parks, Seaworld, Busch & Aquatica are a fraction of the cost of Disney tickets, and just as much fun. I am perfectly aware that the last sentence will be controversial, but you did ask for budget tips!
Thank you so much, we're County Durham so Leeds is ideal. We're probably stuck with going September though as I'm at University and can only do Christmas/Easter/August or September.

Definitely considering Uber instead of driving!

I don't disagree with you about the parks but have a Star Wars obsessed DH and a little boy who lives/eats/breaths Mickey Mouse/Toy Story/Cars etc etc Will probably look at MYW tickets though and not do water parks or hopping.
Old 25 Feb 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
I was going to say similar to this!

We have also chosen the 4 park magic tickets at £254 each for an adult as this offers the best value for money for our particular trip. They’re obviously not as flexible, but the savings made sense.

We plan to eat breakfast in the villa most days and take substantial snacks with us to eat in the parks. Park food prices make my eyes water! Will eat out in the evenings at a mix of places, some cheaper than others.
MYW tickets are definitely going to be considered! Don't mind not doing water parks! Snacks for the little one is also a good idea thank you x