Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Feb 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

I Need Your Help!

Hello!

It’s been a long time since I last posted……and a long time since my last trip I am looking for some advice from you lovely people. I’ll start by telling you our plans, or essentially what we would like to do, and I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Apologies now for the long post and thank you if you get to the end

My fiancé and I are looking to go to Walt Disney World in September 2022. This will potentially be a holiday or in fact our wedding and honeymoon. We have both been married before, so we aren’t looking for a large wedding and would be happy if it was just the two of us.

We would like to stay on site at Disney and on site at Universal for a few days. We are not bothered either way about which we do first. I think though that if we were to get married in Orlando then we would potentially think that Disney first would be the better option.

We are looking for anywhere up to 21 nights to do all the parks and hopefully this will allow time in between for some quieter pool and shopping days or half days at the park and time to relax.

I have been to Orlando quite a few times, but my partner has not, and it has taken a lot of convincing that Disney is not just for children and so I need to replicate this as much as possible for him.

We’re not looking to do this as cheaply as possible but also don’t want to spend a small fortune, again I must keep it reasonable for him to think it’s worthwhile.

So, I need your help to get me started and to convince him this is a very worthy investment!

• Flights - These are not out yet for September 2022, when is the best time to start looking? I know there are a few avid flight watchers on here We live in South Wales and as a result would prefer to fly from Bristol, Birmingham or Heathrow. I know that might narrow down our options for airlines. TUI Dreamliner or Virgin seem to have the best reviews for their planes and inflight services compared to BA. Please educate me if I am wrong.

• Package / DIY - I know there will be a bit of a split opinion on this but we’re not sure whether to book a package holiday or DIY. Is it worth seeing if we can book just the hotel as early as possible, does anybody do this?

• Disney Dining - When is the free Disney dinning offer usually released? That is if it is going to be, as we would love to include this in our stay so as not to have to worry about too much additional spending money on top

• Car hire – You now must pay for parking regardless of where you are staying this seems hefty. Is it worth not having a car whilst staying onsite and use all the transport available and then use some sort of taxi or Uber service if wanting to go offsite? Does anyone hire a car for a few days only during their trip? Can the car be dropped to a Disney or Universal hotel?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I want to make this happen for us and believe starting to plan and save now is the best way to get the ball moving!
Aimee_K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

I can help with bits or at least give you my opinion on bits

Flights -I would be open to using all carriers as we have had both good and bad on several of the major airlines - recently BA have been better for us.

DIY - everytime! There are deals to be had out there using things like Tesco points ect that can get you heavily discounted rooms for one of your stays.

Dining - usually released in April and a very good idea so you don't have to carry money around or worry about food costs while there

Car Hire - we rarely have a car the entire trip. Both Disney and Universal have drop off points nearby or onsite (Swan and carcare centre for Disney and Royal Pacific at Universal - according to websites). We use the buses 95% of the time so silly to have a car just sitting in the parking lot especially now they charge for parking!

My husband isn't a big Disney fan but always enjoys his trip there and finds plenty of things he really enjoys so not just for kids - even my teen boys (19,18,15) all still look forward to going. I recently saw a video for the new Tower hotel at Coronado that my husband really liked the look of - said it didn't have Disney thrust upon him - maybe take a look at that one?

Hope this helps a little
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

As you’re planning to go in September, have a look at Epcot food and wine festival. This is definitely aimed at adults.
Other than that, I can’t really add anything more to Brave5’s response above.
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post

[Flights - start looking around October 2021. Still a bit of a way to go.

Package or DIY - I prefer DIY myself, no middle man or TA policies on changes etc. to navigate. I think people book packages if they are either not used to booking trips or want to take advantage of paying deposit only on flights. You won't be able to book hotels especially early and would be better waiting to see if there is free dining anyway.

Disney dining - usually released in April of the previous year, so April 2021 for you. I would probably book fairly quickly after it is released.

Car hire - we always stay onsite and never hire a car. We don't venture offsite very often at all, but we would get a taxi if we did.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
uktigg
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Aimee_K View Post
• Flights - These are not out yet for September 2022, when is the best time to start looking? I know there are a few avid flight watchers on here We live in South Wales and as a result would prefer to fly from Bristol, Birmingham or Heathrow. I know that might narrow down our options for airlines. TUI Dreamliner or Virgin seem to have the best reviews for their planes and inflight services compared to BA. Please educate me if I am wrong.
Remember that the only DIRECT flights to Orlando international are:
Virgin - from Gatwick, Manchester, Glasgow or Belfast.
BA - from Gatwick

TUI fly into Sanford at the moment, but that will be changing to Melbourne, which is around 1.5 hr drive from Disney in 2022.
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by uktigg View Post
Remember that the only DIRECT flights to Orlando international are:
Virgin - from Gatwick, Manchester, Glasgow or Belfast.
BA - from Gatwick

TUI fly into Sanford at the moment, but that will be changing to Melbourne, which is around 1.5 hr drive from Disney in 2022.
So our only real option then is Gatwick. We have thought about a Cardiff - Dublin - Orlando and clearing the immigration but i'm not sure what the planes and IFE is like. I will have to look into it.
Thank you for taking the time to comment, helpful information.
Aimee_K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
[Flights - start looking around October 2021. Still a bit of a way to go.

Package or DIY - I prefer DIY myself, no middle man or TA policies on changes etc. to navigate. I think people book packages if they are either not used to booking trips or want to take advantage of paying deposit only on flights. You won't be able to book hotels especially early and would be better waiting to see if there is free dining anyway.

Disney dining - usually released in April of the previous year, so April 2021 for you. I would probably book fairly quickly after it is released.

Car hire - we always stay onsite and never hire a car. We don't venture offsite very often at all, but we would get a taxi if we did.
I am hoping that if I can get enough planning done now in the next year then I can jump on the free dinning if it is announced and also the flights. Seems strange for me thinking about a holiday this far out but I want to be ready to just book everything when it is available. Thank you for the helpful information.
Old 26 Feb 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Brave5 View Post
I can help with bits or at least give you my opinion on bits

Flights -I would be open to using all carriers as we have had both good and bad on several of the major airlines - recently BA have been better for us.

DIY - everytime! There are deals to be had out there using things like Tesco points ect that can get you heavily discounted rooms for one of your stays.

Dining - usually released in April and a very good idea so you don't have to carry money around or worry about food costs while there

Car Hire - we rarely have a car the entire trip. Both Disney and Universal have drop off points nearby or onsite (Swan and carcare centre for Disney and Royal Pacific at Universal - according to websites). We use the buses 95% of the time so silly to have a car just sitting in the parking lot especially now they charge for parking!

My husband isn't a big Disney fan but always enjoys his trip there and finds plenty of things he really enjoys so not just for kids - even my teen boys (19,18,15) all still look forward to going. I recently saw a video for the new Tower hotel at Coronado that my husband really liked the look of - said it didn't have Disney thrust upon him - maybe take a look at that one?

Hope this helps a little
If you book DIY then who do you usually go through to book the hotel? Do you stay on or off site?
I'm hoping he's going to love it, I've had to persuade him but not too much so i think he's coming around to the idea he's just a little worried about how much it will all cost. Definitely going to aim for the free dining as I think this will help costs... maybe!
Old 26 Feb 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by BigPetesWife View Post
As you’re planning to go in September, have a look at Epcot food and wine festival. This is definitely aimed at adults.
Other than that, I can’t really add anything more to Brave5’s response above.
I've heard this can be quite good but also very busy. Are the dates usually the same every year?
Old 26 Feb 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Aimee_K View Post
I've heard this can be quite good but also very busy. Are the dates usually the same every year?
We were at WDW in September and spent one day doing F&W snacking. I have heard it gets busy at the weekends, so we went on a weekday and it was absolutely fine, not in the least bit busy.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List