Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Oct 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile Tell me about Shanghai

DD is 21 on NYE, it looks like there will be no party and I’ve no idea what to buy her!

She’s trying to visit all 6 castle, we did Paris in March, Orlando lots of time and HK a few years ago. We were meant to do Cali in June which got cancelled but we’ll rearrange that as DH will come. That leaves Shanghai or Tokyo, it will be a girls trip and the one DH is least interested in is Shanghai.

Questions

I’m thinking 5 days. Two days Disney, one day at their outlets and two days Shanghai. Does that sound right?

Should we do a split hotel stay or is a Disney hotel ok for accessing Shanghai.

Thinking June or September, subject to COVID, are they good times?

Any and all tips welcome!
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

L&R Dreaming on YouTube have been to Shanghai twice, perhaps look at their vlogs as they do normally cover planning also.

thisNatasha on YouTube has been also a few times.
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I went to Shanghai Disneyland in 2017. This was in May. Weather was just a tiny bit on the hot side, but still tolerable (keeping in mind that I live in a hot and tropical climate) - I think it would be hotter in June though! Not sure what September is like in Shanghai.

If I don't remember wrongly, what we did was something like this:
3 nights at Shanghai Disneyland hotel, doing a bit of Disneytown on the first day, Disneyland the next two days, then checked out on the last day.
2 nights at a city centre hotel to see some of the city centre sights.
(Will add that Shanghai is only maybe a 5 hour flight from me so 5 nights wasn't too short for the distance.)

I liked doing the split stay, it was nice to be so close to the city centre sights (we were within walking distance of Nanjing West Road and People's Square so it was easy to walk most places, and most other places weren't too far on the metro). Meant we could easily pop back into the room during the day when we were tired.

2 days at Disneyland was just about right for us. It was enough time to see almost everything at a very leisurely pace, and also to do favourites a few times. SDL doesn't really have a lot of rides though, it has a lot of land area but hasn't had the benefit of building up more rides over time (as compared to MK), so I found there to be a bit less to occupy my time there compared to the other castle parks.

One other thing to consider if you have more time - there are some villages/cities within day trip distance from Shanghai. We briefly considered trying to go to Suzhou/Zhouzhuang (we'd been a long time ago) but unfortunately 5 days was just a bit too short to also add in a day trip! If we had a bit longer we would have probably done the day trip.

Edit to add: We stayed at the Shanghai Disneyland hotel, which was nice - however it was either a decent walk or a boat trip away from Shanghai Disneyland and the metro station. So I'm not sure how convenient it would be using it as a base to visit the city. The other Disney hotel (Toy Story? Not sure if there is another one besides that) may be closer to the metro station though but I'm not as familiar with it!

Edited at 02:48 PM.
sky13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
langside
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 54
I was there in November. Just did one day for Disney but it was a low peak day (and sadly rained) did everything I wanted (even rode tron 3 times as it was quiet)
so two days For disney should be enough. I stayed near the bund and the metro system is great so I would not hesitate to recommend commuting if you don’t stay onsite. Personally if you can add more days for Shanghai I think it’s a great city As another poster has said within easy commute to a number of water villages too which are lovely and worth visiting but understand you may be restricted by time if your after using a transit visa to avoid paying for a full visa as think they are limited to max of 144hrs so 6 days
langside is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all the helpful comments 😊
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
doombuggy
Excited about Disney

I have been to all 6 park destinations. I did Shanghai and Tokyo in 2017 for my 50th birthday. We stayed at the Toy Story Hotel. We only did 1 full day at the park, as we had planned to take the train to Beijing and stay at a retreat near the Great Wall about 45 minutes outside of the city. We purchased the fast pass package for this reason, but I think 2 days in SDL would be enough, even though they have opened more stuff since I went in October 2017.

Tokyo Disney is the bomb! I would recommend at least 3 week days for those 2 parks.
1974-1983 WDW day trips*1992 WDW*1994 Contemporary*1997 WDW*1997 Poly* 1998 DL PAC*1999 DL DH*2000 Coronado/PO*2001 WDW*2002 DL DH*2002 WDW HHB*2003 POR*2003 WDW HHB*2004 Moved to Orlando*2006 DVC*2006 DLR*2007 DVBR*2007 OKW*2007 VWL*2008 GCH*2009 BLT*2009 AKL*2010 OKW*2010 SSR*2010 DLP DLH*2011 BLT*2011 AKL Kidani*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani*2015 VGC*2017 VGC*2017 VGF*2017 SDL & TDR*2019 HKDL Hollywood Hotel*2020 Contemporary TPV
doombuggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by doombuggy View Post
I have been to all 6 park destinations. I did Shanghai and Tokyo in 2017 for my 50th birthday. We stayed at the Toy Story Hotel. We only did 1 full day at the park, as we had planned to take the train to Beijing and stay at a retreat near the Great Wall about 45 minutes outside of the city. We purchased the fast pass package for this reason, but I think 2 days in SDL would be enough, even though they have opened more stuff since I went in October 2017.

Tokyo Disney is the bomb! I would recommend at least 3 week days for those 2 parks.
Oh, tell me more about the Great Wall?
Old 9 Oct 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Now you’ve started something doombuggy! Just spent the last hour looking at 3 days tours of Beijing 🙈🤣
Old 9 Oct 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Kelbel21
A Guest at All-Stars

We went October 2019 we stayed near nanjing road and had 2 day Disney tickets we got a cab there both days (very cheap) Shanghai is amazing yu gardens and all the little shops around is brilliant,I don’t think you would need more than 2 days at the park
Kelbel21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
doombuggy
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
Now you’ve started something doombuggy! Just spent the last hour looking at 3 days tours of Beijing 🙈🤣
Sorry working 7 days a week gets in the way and I didn't see your comments.

We took the train up to Beijing and then we were picked up and taken to Mutianyu.

The section of the Wall here isn't as busy. We were there on a Saturday in late October. We took the skyway-type ride up (like a ski lift) and the slideway down (that was so much fun!). After spending about 3 hours at the wall, we had a late lunch at the foot of the wall entrance where there is a little "village" type place. The hotel dropped us off in the morning and picked us up.

We spent the weekend at The Brickyard and loved it!
brickyardatmutianyu/

My sister and I shared a premium twin room and it looked just like the photos on their website. We walked around the village, but took meals at the hotel (a converted tile factory). We also each had a massage on Saturday night (I had the foot massage).

We had a ride pre-booked to the airport on Sunday morning. We discovered once we reached the gate that our flight to Japan was cancelled due to typhoon, and we ended up getting a hotel in Beijing until we could get out to Japan early Wednesday morning. We went to the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven (where we were photo bombed - also went to the shopping area across the street), Tiannemen Square and some other minor temples around the city.

While this cut our TDR time (we were supposed to check in to TDR Tuesday and stay until Friday, so we lost Tuesday and most of Wednesday, as we got there at 2pm), I really enjoyed our stay and was glad we got to see these things in Beijing. My sister had already been there a couple of times and didn't want to go (we initially planned to stay in Shanghai Thursday - Sunday) but when she saw the Brickyard, she agreed to change our plans. We had to get a visa to go there.
1974-1983 WDW day trips*1992 WDW*1994 Contemporary*1997 WDW*1997 Poly* 1998 DL PAC*1999 DL DH*2000 Coronado/PO*2001 WDW*2002 DL DH*2002 WDW HHB*2003 POR*2003 WDW HHB*2004 Moved to Orlando*2006 DVC*2006 DLR*2007 DVBR*2007 OKW*2007 VWL*2008 GCH*2009 BLT*2009 AKL*2010 OKW*2010 SSR*2010 DLP DLH*2011 BLT*2011 AKL Kidani*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani*2015 VGC*2017 VGC*2017 VGF*2017 SDL & TDR*2019 HKDL Hollywood Hotel*2020 Contemporary TPV
doombuggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List