Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Mar 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
South Roma
Trying for More Ears

Good Alamo Experience

We arrived on the VS 27 on Tuesday 3 March after a really good flight. Touched down at MCO pretty much on schedule and were through immigration quite speedily. Unfortunately, Mrs South Roma doesn’t do ‘travelling light’ so we had our four cases sent across to carousel 8A in the main terminal.

Mrs SR waited for our luggage at carousel 8A while I went in search of the Visitor Toll Pass booth which I found to be manned by a very nice lady with the incredible name of ‘Kosmic’. Yes, really. It was the second time we have used the VTP system so I didn’t need too much instruction before presenting my driving licence and credit card and collecting the customer pack.

Arriving at the Alamo garage I was greeted by Eduardo who checked the barcode on my printed ‘skip the counter’ sheet and accompanied me to the Intermediate SUV line – which was full of mini vans! Which I did not want, at all. He kindly upgraded me to a standard SUV and I selected a Dodge Journey Crossroads with Virginia plates which, although larger than we really need for just the two of us, is very comfortable and fully loaded.

Eduardo told me it was a fairly quiet day in terms of rentals, but the previous day (Monday) had been ‘crazy’. They (Alamo) had processed more than 2,000 vehicles in 24 hours!

I can usually find a vacant trolley somewhere in the garage without having to ‘buy’ from the rack, but couldn’t see one anywhere. However, the very helpful Eduardo magicked up one from somewhere and I made my way back to carousel 8A, by which time the cases had come through and we were able to return to the car and load up.

Having hooked the VTP tag to the rear-view mirror we made our way to the exit and presented documentation, driving licences and credit card to a rather sullen operative, who processed us fairly speedily. I checked that there was nothing further to pay – we had the 'return empty' fuel package – and we departed the garage. Time was just on 1600. An hour from departing the aircraft despite having to make use of carousel 8A. One of the best times we have ever made in all the years we have been visiting Florida.

Traffic fairly reasonable on the 417 and we came off at Celebration (I wanted to avoid the I-4) and joined the 192, west bound. Traffic fairly heavy but all moving quite well. I turned south on Westside and then east at the college/university, taking the back roads (which were as expected, very quiet). At Champion’s Gate we stopped at the Publix and stocked up on initial provisions, before making our way to the home we are renting at Sunridge Woods, off the Ronald Reagan, arriving there at 1800.

A couple of good nights’ sleep, but I am still feeling very weary after such a long day on Tuesday. I think it’s an age thing! But the weather is marvellous and I now have a couple of weeks to get myself together.

Kind regards,

John
South Roma is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
John

Altogether a very positive and rewarding experience of both MCO and Alamo. It certainly mirrors our experiences in nearly every respect.

We always keep our luggage on the APM so we're straight down and across to garage B. Might be tempting fate but after doing STC with Alamo six times in recent years we've never been asked to show our bar code until we get to the barrier - only ever hire a full size car though. Our experience of the VTP was also excellent.

We usually leave the 417 at j3 on to the Osceola though then pick up the 192 at Sherberth and then Westside on our way to Highgate Park.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and, at 74, fully get the tired bit.

Mick

Edited at 04:21 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List