Notices

Old 28 Mar 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

I hope you managed to get our Abby, I do think having some sort of routine helps a little. I've made sure we're all up and ready to start for 9am every day to keep us in a routine although we didn't do any work on Friday.

I really struggled with work last week, as there wasn't a lot for me to do I didn't feel right putting down time when I wasn't working. It ended up with me leaving my work laptop on all day, constantly checking it, doing a bit of work here and there but I felt like I did a full week as I didn't have any down time We've set days and times for next week giving me 2 1/2 days with the kids.

Today's been so nice, we haven't been able to get out as it's been hailing here. But I've washed all the kid's bedding's they've all helped with emptying the dishwasher, dusting, hoovering and cleaning the bathrooms then we sat and watched Toy Story 3 (loving Disney + have you got it yet?!) and then I made some 'school cake' remember the cake with white icing and hundreds and thousands on the top? It was yummy and we have enough to have some tomorrow after dinner as a dessert

I didn't realise Argos was still open Colette, some people just have no concern for social distancing, I've seen so many reports of it locally. Just last week a woman in Home Bargains asked a man to step away from her as he was too close and he swore at her and said there was nothing she could do to make him move! Absolutely despicable behaviour. A friend was spat at waiting in line at ASDA by a teenage boy, when she confronted him he did it again then left

I feel the same as well about the trip reports, as much as I've tried to stay positive I think it's inevitable that we will not be going in May now So now we need to look at when would be best to rearrange. We have parcels with When You Wish gifts too, so need to see what happens with those if we can't collect until our December trip

Hope your all well Abby? Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Day 4 of isolation for me and I ventured out for the first time. I went to Sainsbury's as I had something to pick up from the Argos counter.

I should have walked but lethargy has already kicked in and I drove. I am going to have to make an effort to get some exercise as I am used to being on my feet for 9 hours everyday and I'm already worried about how I'll manage when we go back to work.

Sainsbury's had a queuing system in place and were only letting one person from each household in, it was very well organised and all of the staff were pleasant. The shelves were well-stocked apart from anti-bac wipes and hand soap, both of which we have enough to keep us going for now. Funnily enough Nik gave me bars of soap for Christmas, he was subject to much mirth after this, but he must have foreseen this

The Argos counter was an altogether different experience, worse than US immigration. I had reservations about using it as it's obviously a non-essential service and I should have followed my gut.

I should be spending this time catching up on trip reports but I can't bring myself to do it as I'm trying to distance myself from Disney. I don't want to set my heart on going this year only to be disappointed and I feel awful for everyone with trips that have been, or well be effected.

Glad you're all safe and well Abby and have found some kind of routine.

How is everyone else?
I also ventured out grocery shopping at the weekend. It's very strange to go through the whole queuing up outside the shop process managed to get most things, still no eggs though so you should keep yours in a safe because if word gets out you've got eggs you will have people beating down your door I'm really hoping to find some as I want to bake a fruit cake for my dad for his birthday, he'll be 70 in April. I know I could look up an eggless cake recipe, but I'm hoping the eggs will come back soon and I'll be able to bake him a cake and drop it off on the doorstep.

As far as the daily routine goes, I'm still working, albeit remotely and setting work from afar. This is tricky and I'm finding it hard to judge if it's too much or too little. I'm very thankful for all the you tube videos out there with explanations of methods and I'm putting in lots of links to videos in the hopes they will be able to play them and understand the task prior to completing it. Some of my students are saying the tasks are taking 40 minutes, some 20. Getting the balance right for them all is going to be a challenge.

I think I'm one of the lucky ones though, as being home but without much to do would be worse I'm already starting to think about what I'll do in the Easter hols as won't be setting work. It turns out my in door hobbies tend to revolve around holiday planning or reading about other people's holiday plans and of course there isn't much of that going on at the moment.

I know what you mean about seeing other people's plans being postponed or cancelled. I really feel for them. For what it's worth I know that even though I would be sad to postpone our trip as we wouldn't be able to return until 2021, so I suppose technically it would be cancelled, I will still be hoping your trip (and all the others) go ahead and while it will be bittersweet to read about I'll be first in line if you do another food report.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I hope you managed to get our Abby, I do think having some sort of routine helps a little. I've made sure we're all up and ready to start for 9am every day to keep us in a routine although we didn't do any work on Friday.

I really struggled with work last week, as there wasn't a lot for me to do I didn't feel right putting down time when I wasn't working. It ended up with me leaving my work laptop on all day, constantly checking it, doing a bit of work here and there but I felt like I did a full week as I didn't have any down time We've set days and times for next week giving me 2 1/2 days with the kids.

Today's been so nice, we haven't been able to get out as it's been hailing here. But I've washed all the kid's bedding's they've all helped with emptying the dishwasher, dusting, hoovering and cleaning the bathrooms then we sat and watched Toy Story 3 (loving Disney + have you got it yet?!) and then I made some 'school cake' remember the cake with white icing and hundreds and thousands on the top? It was yummy and we have enough to have some tomorrow after dinner as a dessert

I didn't realise Argos was still open Colette, some people just have no concern for social distancing, I've seen so many reports of it locally. Just last week a woman in Home Bargains asked a man to step away from her as he was too close and he swore at her and said there was nothing she could do to make him move! Absolutely despicable behaviour. A friend was spat at waiting in line at ASDA by a teenage boy, when she confronted him he did it again then left

I feel the same as well about the trip reports, as much as I've tried to stay positive I think it's inevitable that we will not be going in May now So now we need to look at when would be best to rearrange. We have parcels with When You Wish gifts too, so need to see what happens with those if we can't collect until our December trip

Hope your all well Abby? Xx
It sounds like you had a productive day and deserved your movie time and your school cake. Yummy! What a treat.

Kate and me have decided to watch all the Disney movies! I know that's a bit of an undertaking, but it seems like we do have the time at the moment. We've watched Snow White and the Seven dwarfs and Pinocchio so far. Snow White was better, we ranked it 5 out of 5. Pinocchio only got a 3. It's such a weird movie, I can't remember the last time I saw it and I'm afraid I won't be rushing back to watch it again. Next up will be Fantasia. We've made a list of them all in order of release. We also looked at some live action movies but only added in the ones we fancied from them as there are literally hundreds. For example I loved Swiss Family Robinson when I was younger so I wanted to include that. Kate likes the Muppets movies so we added them.

I reckon there are over 100 movies on the list, Kate's hoping we won't be able to fit them in before our holiday. She's still wanting to keep the dream alive. She said to me the other day that she knows there's a chance that we won't be going but she likes the idea of it still being possible. I guess I do too, so I'm going to leave it until the last possible moment to cancel. I'm kind of thinking that it's unlikely now for us, I'm so sad that your trip in May is in doubt. I heard over the weekend, or maybe this morning that the parks will be closed until the end of April. I'll keep everything crossed for you. I'm trying to keep positive.

Take care

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I also ventured out grocery shopping at the weekend. It's very strange to go through the whole queuing up outside the shop process managed to get most things, still no eggs though so you should keep yours in a safe because if word gets out you've got eggs you will have people beating down your door I'm really hoping to find some as I want to bake a fruit cake for my dad for his birthday, he'll be 70 in April. I know I could look up an eggless cake recipe, but I'm hoping the eggs will come back soon and I'll be able to bake him a cake and drop it off on the doorstep.

As far as the daily routine goes, I'm still working, albeit remotely and setting work from afar. This is tricky and I'm finding it hard to judge if it's too much or too little. I'm very thankful for all the you tube videos out there with explanations of methods and I'm putting in lots of links to videos in the hopes they will be able to play them and understand the task prior to completing it. Some of my students are saying the tasks are taking 40 minutes, some 20. Getting the balance right for them all is going to be a challenge.

I think I'm one of the lucky ones though, as being home but without much to do would be worse I'm already starting to think about what I'll do in the Easter hols as won't be setting work. It turns out my in door hobbies tend to revolve around holiday planning or reading about other people's holiday plans and of course there isn't much of that going on at the moment.

I know what you mean about seeing other people's plans being postponed or cancelled. I really feel for them. For what it's worth I know that even though I would be sad to postpone our trip as we wouldn't be able to return until 2021, so I suppose technically it would be cancelled, I will still be hoping your trip (and all the others) go ahead and while it will be bittersweet to read about I'll be first in line if you do another food report.
I do hope you manage to get some eggs, the idea of a cake for your dad's birthday is lovely. Our eggs are out of date now and I've been searching tricks to see if they are still good to use We ate some for lunch yesterday and we're still here so fingers crossed If it helps at all in your quest, Nik got ours at the local shop rather than a supermarket.

Even though our trip is so very far away I am prepared for it not to happen for whatever reason... Disney not being open... US not allowing visitors... UK not allowing us to travel... I am peace with it as if we are all in the same boat then I don't have FOMO However, I am not okay at the potential of losing my North East road trip.

As a planner I am finding the fact that no-one can predict the future the hardest thing of all to deal with

Of course there would be a trip report, and before we were plunged into uncertainty it became another DxDP report

Hoping for happy outcomes for everyone
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
I do hope you manage to get some eggs, the idea of a cake for your dad's birthday is lovely. Our eggs are out of date now and I've been searching tricks to see if they are still good to use We ate some for lunch yesterday and we're still here so fingers crossed If it helps at all in your quest, Nik got ours at the local shop rather than a supermarket.

Even though our trip is so very far away I am prepared for it not to happen for whatever reason... Disney not being open... US not allowing visitors... UK not allowing us to travel... I am peace with it as if we are all in the same boat then I don't have FOMO However, I am not okay at the potential of losing my North East road trip.

As a planner I am finding the fact that no-one can predict the future the hardest thing of all to deal with

Of course there would be a trip report, and before we were plunged into uncertainty it became another DxDP report

Hoping for happy outcomes for everyone
I'll have a look in the shop in the village. That's a good idea I went out earlier to pick up prescriptions for two of my neighbours who are elderly and I'll need to go out again on Wednesday as one of them could only be partially filled as not all of the medicine was available.

I totally agree about the planning side of things. I've had a few telephone meetings and the one thing we've all been saying is that we could cope better if we knew when the end was going to be. Whether it's 50 days or 100 days or, even worse, I think I'd find it easier to stomach as it feels very much like we're all in limbo. Many of the children I teach have been looking forward to going back to school after Easter, when it seems the reality is that we won't be back for many weeks.

It's the uncertainty that I find the most unsettling. But then I know that there's no easy answers and we all just have to wait and see.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post

It sounds like you had a productive day and deserved your movie time and your school cake. Yummy! What a treat.

Kate and me have decided to watch all the Disney movies! I know that's a bit of an undertaking, but it seems like we do have the time at the moment. We've watched Snow White and the Seven dwarfs and Pinocchio so far. Snow White was better, we ranked it 5 out of 5. Pinocchio only got a 3. It's such a weird movie, I can't remember the last time I saw it and I'm afraid I won't be rushing back to watch it again. Next up will be Fantasia. We've made a list of them all in order of release. We also looked at some live action movies but only added in the ones we fancied from them as there are literally hundreds. For example I loved Swiss Family Robinson when I was younger so I wanted to include that. Kate likes the Muppets movies so we added them.

I reckon there are over 100 movies on the list, Kate's hoping we won't be able to fit them in before our holiday. She's still wanting to keep the dream alive. She said to me the other day that she knows there's a chance that we won't be going but she likes the idea of it still being possible. I guess I do too, so I'm going to leave it until the last possible moment to cancel. I'm kind of thinking that it's unlikely now for us, I'm so sad that your trip in May is in doubt. I heard over the weekend, or maybe this morning that the parks will be closed until the end of April. I'll keep everything crossed for you. I'm trying to keep positive.

Take care
With the eggs I agree with Colette definitely try local shops. We also have a lot of fruiters offering to deliver fruit, veg, eggs and bread to people so that could also be an option. It would be so lovely to bake a cake for your dad, I'm sure they'd appreciate it so much.

We keep forgetting it's Easter next week. I think I might print little activities out for Noah to do over the holidays too as it's really helping keep him calm having a routine of what we're doing, although he is very ≈≈≈≈ about the timings

It's so hard trying to think of things to do whilst at home isn't it? I thought I would be able to get loads of crocheting done but I've barely had chance to do any. Is there any hooby's you've thought about trying but never had chance to? Maybe you could take one of those up?

The cake was yummy, we've just eaten the last pieces after tea tonight. I hope you get those eggs! I'm off work tomorrow so Caitlin wants to make cookies and some cake again, I've also planned to make a cornedbeef pie for tea so she will help with that

That sounds like an amazing idea! Are you doing them all in date order too? (Just seen further on that you are ) Oh see I like Pinocchio but then again I haven't seen it in a good few years I don't think. I used to love Fantasia as a kid too I think that's why I love sorcerer Mickey so much hope you enjoy it. I've never seen Swiss Family Robinson ... might have to add that one to the list.

I'm so glad Kate's being positive, that's the way to be Kate! Hopefully things will be returning back to normal by the time you go. The way I look at it is Shanghai Disney closed at the end of January and partially reopened for a phased opening on the 7th March. With any luck I'm thinking the parks will start reopening in June and be back to normal by July/August I will keep everything crossed for you all!

Someone yesterday posted an email from Disney offering guests to cancel and rebook free of charge from 1st June so I think they're anticipating trying to get back to normal then.

How's the kids doing now? Have you had anymore news in regards to what happens with Max's exams? Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

You guys keeping the kids entertained are my heroes.

I'm keeping myself amused with box sets, the Sporcle quiz site and my Nintendo Switch. I have lots of get up and go when I am in Disney but at home I'm a sloth so I can't suggest anything more worthy for you Abby. I will try and get caught up on TRs at some point.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
With the eggs I agree with Colette definitely try local shops. We also have a lot of fruiters offering to deliver fruit, veg, eggs and bread to people so that could also be an option. It would be so lovely to bake a cake for your dad, I'm sure they'd appreciate it so much.

We keep forgetting it's Easter next week. I think I might print little activities out for Noah to do over the holidays too as it's really helping keep him calm having a routine of what we're doing, although he is very ≈≈≈≈ about the timings

It's so hard trying to think of things to do whilst at home isn't it? I thought I would be able to get loads of crocheting done but I've barely had chance to do any. Is there any hooby's you've thought about trying but never had chance to? Maybe you could take one of those up?

The cake was yummy, we've just eaten the last pieces after tea tonight. I hope you get those eggs! I'm off work tomorrow so Caitlin wants to make cookies and some cake again, I've also planned to make a cornedbeef pie for tea so she will help with that

That sounds like an amazing idea! Are you doing them all in date order too? (Just seen further on that you are ) Oh see I like Pinocchio but then again I haven't seen it in a good few years I don't think. I used to love Fantasia as a kid too I think that's why I love sorcerer Mickey so much hope you enjoy it. I've never seen Swiss Family Robinson ... might have to add that one to the list.

I'm so glad Kate's being positive, that's the way to be Kate! Hopefully things will be returning back to normal by the time you go. The way I look at it is Shanghai Disney closed at the end of January and partially reopened for a phased opening on the 7th March. With any luck I'm thinking the parks will start reopening in June and be back to normal by July/August I will keep everything crossed for you all!

Someone yesterday posted an email from Disney offering guests to cancel and rebook free of charge from 1st June so I think they're anticipating trying to get back to normal then.

How's the kids doing now? Have you had anymore news in regards to what happens with Max's exams? Xx
We're currently watching Fantasia, it's actually pretty good. I think we are philistines as we would prefer a movie with a proper story, but the animation is amazing as is the music and I keep trying to remind myself that it was made in 1940 so it's a miracle it's as good as it is. Although I'm finding it hard to stay focused on one thing...hence replying to you!

When we went out for our daily walk we did the alphabet game with Disney animated characters. The kids have decided they want to keep hopeful about the holiday. Dave was less keen go talk about it all as he's not convinced air travel for leisure will be up and running by then, even if the parks are open. We will just have to wait and see.

Still no news about how exam grades are going to be calculated. Max has got lots of work to do though and is getting there with his Design Technology coursework. The deadline is Friday so he's got a couple more days. He did lots of work on Geography at the weekend as his teacher wanted to see how well he would do on an exam. She said he got a grade 6, he'd be happy with that if that's the grade he ends up with.

You guys keeping the kids entertained are my heroes.

I'm keeping myself amused with box sets, the Sporcle quiz site and my Nintendo Switch. I have lots of get up and go when I am in Disney but at home I'm a sloth so I can't suggest anything more worthy for you Abby. I will try and get caught up on TRs at some point.
You're allowed to veg out for a bit. It's part of the getting used to being off work I think. There's no harm in having some sloth like days!

I've ordered myself a sprocket (photo printer) so that I can make mini books. Usually I do all my holiday ones on snapfish. Recently I've been watching you tube videos of making your own mini books and I do like journaling so that's going to be my new in door hobby I think.

I'm also looking up new recipes, hopefully the shops will start to return to normal. I read that lots of stores are stopping restrictions now that people are have all stocked up and there's no need to panic buy. I love cooking and I find following a recipe quite relaxing and we all like eating what I make. So, I'm lining myself up with at least 2 things to do over Easter.

Our next eating around the world meal will be Morroco. Kate and me have decided to make chicken kebabs with cous cous and baklava (which I've never made before). That's going to be this weekend.

I really should get into exercising, but I'm pretty lazy really. I love to walk, which you will know from our holidays but that's it.

Old 31 Mar 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

The Disney movie marathon sounds fun - we're doing the same thing with the Marvel films as Heath has never seen them...he likes the action but is quite bored during the rest of it so far (Captain America and Captain Marvel - we're watching them in chronological order).

Glad eating around the world continues too!

I'm torn about continuing my trip report - seems weird to remembering such a fun holiday when we're all stuck in such a horrible time...but it could also be a nice distraction? Not sure.

Finishing up work for the week soon and thank god for that - you can imagine what my day's like with wall-to-wall coronavirus news. Home schooling is going well here so far, we're very lucky that Heath enjoys his work and is a good age for this to happen at 8. Not too young to need constant watching but not too old to be missing serious school work - phew!

You all sound like you're coping well so far. Fingers crossed we can be given an end date soon.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
The Disney movie marathon sounds fun - we're doing the same thing with the Marvel films as Heath has never seen them...he likes the action but is quite bored during the rest of it so far (Captain America and Captain Marvel - we're watching them in chronological order).

Glad eating around the world continues too!

I'm torn about continuing my trip report - seems weird to remembering such a fun holiday when we're all stuck in such a horrible time...but it could also be a nice distraction? Not sure.

Finishing up work for the week soon and thank god for that - you can imagine what my day's like with wall-to-wall coronavirus news. Home schooling is going well here so far, we're very lucky that Heath enjoys his work and is a good age for this to happen at 8. Not too young to need constant watching but not too old to be missing serious school work - phew!

You all sound like you're coping well so far. Fingers crossed we can be given an end date soon.
A friend of mine is doing the marvel movies marathon it's a great idea. They are a lot of fun. Although I did say to Dave that I cannot watch another origin story movie for a little while as I've definitely had my fill with them.

I'd love it if you continue your trip report. I think the conclusion I've come to is that I just can't live and breathe it all day long. I know that it's horrid and people are really suffering, but it doesn't mean I an't be hopeful or remember happier things at the same time. I don't feel that's disrespectful or in anyway means those of us who want to talk about other things are oblivious to what is going on in the world, I just think it doesn't have to define us 24 hours day. Saying that, I haven't looked in the trip report area of the dibb for a while and I should really. I love the escapism they offer, plus I'm an incredible nosy parker . If you do post another day let me know and I'll try to get back in the habit of checking that forum.

It must be hard for you in your job, you sure do need a way of being away from work and the worries of the world so even more reason to watch a marvel movie and save the world from your sofa.

Old 1 Apr 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

What did you think of Fantasmic in the end? We watched Snow White and Pinocchio yesterday. Noah watched almost all of Snow White and really enjoyed it. I see what you mean about Pinocchio I suppose being older puts a different perspective on things. When I was younger I always took it as being about telling lies, but there were a few things in it both Chris and I said wouldn't be allowed nowadays!

I hope you enjoyed your walk. We haven't managed to get out today. I'm hoping the weathers ok tomorrow and we can go for a little walk as I'm off work. I can't wait to see your food for eating round the world and also what recipes you decide to make.

Hopefully there will be some verification soon but it's good he's still getting on with his work.

I agree with Abby Colette, this is all new so have a sloth out is much needed ... I don't have any excuse at all, I'm just being lazy x