Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Dec 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Bare Necessities - Day 14 Tuesday 13th August Universal, Islands of Adventure and Citywalk

Day 14 Check in to RPR and fun at US and IOA Tuesday 13th August 2019

Welcome to The Bare Necessities Trip Report. I’m Abby and I went to Orlando at the end of July 2019 with my husband David, our children Max (14) and Kate (12). We’ve been to Orlando before But this trip was different as we had my parents Jac and Tom with us, they will be referred to as Mum and Dad or Grandma and Grandad throughout the report. I was so excited to take them with us as this was their first time to WDW.

Day 14

Today was resort swap day with us checking out of POFQ and into RPR for the Universal part of our stay. Even though I felt like there were things we hadn't done at WDW or that we had missed out on I wasn't too sad to be leaving as it was exciting heading over to Universal for the first time since 2017 (which was our one and only prior visit). So, it all felt very new to us and I knew it would be great fun.

The Universal plans were wide open and basically involved checking in as early as possible, getting the express passes and making use of them Ok, ok, it was a little more planned than that, but nowhere near to the level of planning that went into the Disney part of the trip. I had decided we should do the studios park first so that we could then take the Hogwarts Express over to IOA to do the wet rides in the afternoon before heading back to the hotel to hit the pool and then dry off before dinner on Citywalk. But that was basically the whole plan as I figured I didn’t need to worry about an attraction touring plan or strategy as we had the express passes . In the end most, but not all of it, went to plan.

At the end of yesterday’s post I posed 4 questions.

1. Did we use up all of our credits before leaving WDW?
2. Was I brave enough for Rip, Ride Rockit?
3. Did Mum marvel at Diagon Alley?
4. Did we make it onto Hagrids?

I already said we managed 3 out of 4. I daresay the revelation as to which one of the four we didn't fit in won’t be much of a surprise.

Right let's get started with the day. The alarm went off at 6.30am as we wanted to pack the last bits of toiletries and PJ's and get to the restaurant for breakfast by 8am.

I also was on a mission to give my yellow balloon away. It was still going strong nearly 2 weeks after I bought it. So, Kate and me had a scout around the food hall looking for a family to give the balloon to. We soon spotted a family of three eating their breakfast and I explained it was our last day and I asked if they would look after our balloon for us as we couldn’t take it with us. I managed to get a photo of them as they left the restaurant with the balloon.

The boys didn’t want anything to do with mission balloon magic and had gone on to get some breakfast. We decided to each get our own breakfast today. Max went with chocolate chip pancakes as he loves them.

Given how tasty Kate’s had looked yesterday, Dave and me also fancied the muffin and potato barrels and Kate had this again.

We didn’t pass up our last opportunity to get 4 drinks to put in the cases for Universal.

In the gift shop and the food court the kids and me spent the last of our credits…on this little lot…yes there is some fruit in there! I figured we might fancy that as breakfasts.

Credits at Zero!

Well, this is a screen shot of my account in MDE and of course the kids helped Mum and Dad to spend their last credits too. That's all the credits used up - so question 1 is a hard YES!

We were all checked out and out the front of the hotel by five past nine which was pretty good going.

We got a Lyft over to Royal Pacific. I decided it would be easier to get 2 cars for the six of us and all the luggage so we split into 2 groups. Dave, Mum and Kate in the first car and then me, Dad and Max in the second. This sounds a whole lot simpler than it actually was . As firstly I had to get Dave to download the app, then he had to set up the payment, then he had to go through the process of requesting the car, we waited until the car was nearly with us and then I requested the Lyft for the rest of us. But, it worked in the end and cost me $18.77 and Dave £12.62 (I didn’t write down the cost in dollars at the time). So, less than £30, which isn't bad really.

When we got to the hotel there was a long line to check in.

We were given little bottles of water while we waited and then we handed over our luggage.

Express passes in hand, which is a first for us, as well as Mum and Dad, and we were off to the studio’s park first. It was 10.15 by now so not too bad. The walk along the waterway was speedy and we walked through the turnstyles at 10.32!

We went straight for Despicable Me as the long wait time didn’t matter to us, aaahh these express passes made us feel like royalty

It only took us 8 minutes of queueing to get into the pre-show room.

I’d bought the universal photos in the Black Friday sales so I went to the photopass shop to set it up and get the little cards for scanning at the end of the rides.

Next up…Rip, Ride, Rockit! Mum and Dad took one look and decided they would sit it out, not really a surprise.

But I was brave and went off with the others to ride it. I was not looking forward to it though, I really don’t like that vertical climb at the beginning. And then, the worst happened, me and Kate were given the front row, I really didn’t like this idea, but I got in and I picked my song, KC and the Sunshine Band. But I had my eyes closed the whole way round, Kate said I was muttering “Oh my” repeatedly, over and over!

And that's mission number 2 complete, but it was a once and once only ride for me again this year. Once is definitely enough.

Many of the snacks which we had spent our last credits on were in my park bag and the kids knew it and kept on begging, anyone would think we had starved them for 2 weeks.

So, after RRR I decided I could do with a little breather and they had a packed of crisps each.

We went through the express line for the Jimmy Fallon ride, which we really like.

When we came to US in 2017 it was after a 4 day stay in NYC and this ride had just opened and we loved it then as we could see the streets where we’d been walking around earlier in the week. Mum and Dad both thought it was fun.

The kids enjoyed playing some of the interactive games in the waiting area.

Next up was the Mummy, another fab ride.

Max, Kate, Mum and Dad were in the front row, with me and Dave in the second row.

This is a fab dark ride and it is pretty scary in the rollercoaster section. I may have told Mum and Dad that it was a bit like a cross between Dinosaur and Haunted Mansion. I wasn't actually trying to trick them I had forgotten about the coaster section at the end. Even so, they seemed to like it.

We then went over to the Transformers ride.

But the ride went tech while we were on it and the sound cut out. When we got off they offered us a free ride pass but as we had the express passes we didn’t need the passes.

The next ride was ET, which is really cute and of course we did the photo shoot in the shop at the end.

We wandered around to the Simpsons area and had probably our longest wait of about 20 minutes to get on the Simpsons ride.

By now it was 2.30, we went to Men in Black which had a 55 minute wait time posted, but not for us .

Dave had forgotten to swap his sunglasses over for normal glasses, so he said he was adamant that he wasn't going for the Mr Cool look

We were on and off the ride within 20 minutes. You’ve gotta love the express passes.

It was now time to head into Diagon Alley. Mum thought it was spectacular. Mission number 3 a success, she loved it!

And sadly with that news comes the news that we didn't make it onto Hagrids today the lines were looonnng and we were not in the mood for queuing.

We wandered around and it was heaving, really busy.

There was a massive queue to get into the lockers for the Escape from Gringots ride and then I remembered that OB1 had given me a brilliant tip about by-passing the queue for the lockers by going in through the shop. Thanks so much lovely lady as it was a great tip .

The ride of course was amazing. We all loved it. More wandering round Diagon Alley with Kate trying out some spells. We had bought her the wand in 2017 as she was selected in Olivanders for the wand ceremony so we had to buy the wand. I decided we should take it with us this year and see if it still worked and after a few huffs and puffs, some giving up, some tense words, a little bit of stroppiness and finally a cast member explaining she was going to big with the movements, SUCCESS! It worked fine and she sort of clicked in with casting the spells. Phew

The kids decided they were peckish again, which actually given it was 4pm and we hadn’t stopped for a meal at lunch isn’t bad really! We all ate a few oreos.

Dad bought everyone a drink at The Hopping Pot (near where Celestina sings as she was singing while we drank our drinks).

The kids had one thing and one thing only on their minds – Frozen Butterbeer.

They love it and it still tastes good 2 years after they last had it.

They asked if they should keep the plastic cups, but I said it was fine to throw them…they did look cute though! Of course while drinking they got peckish and so they had a cookie from the never-ending snack bag.

I had a really fab drink which was a Strongbow cider with a shot of whisky, called a Fire Whisky. I absolutely loved this drink.

I’ve never thought to put a whisky into cider, but it was yummy!

Dave and Dad both had a beer.

Mum had a peach-tree fizzing tea which she said was the best iced tea she’d had all trip.

We caught the train over to IOA as my plan was to do all the wet rides before going back to the hotel.

Lots of photos of the station and the Hogwarts Express coming up as it's just so cool.

Dad got excited with the vanishing wall and took a video on his phone of us all going through. Plus, we were allocated a compartment just for the 6 of us which was fab!

Kate did a spell at Madam Puddifoot’s and made the snowman move on the cake. Easy peasy - worked first time

As it was gone 5 we didn’t let ourselves get distracted by the rides and went straight to River Adventure.

I had brought our flip flops with us as I didn’t want the trainers getting wet so we quickly swapped our shoes.

We all love Jurassic Park and the ride was great. Kate and me are both on the ride, but the photo cut us out We had the middle two rows, with Kate, Max and Mum in the 2nd row and then me, Dave and Dad in the 3rd. We, of course, got very wet, but that’s fine we knew we would.

As we came off the ride, Dad spotted one of the vertical dryers and thought that was a really good idea so hopped in with a man and his son – he hadn’t realised that they had put money in to make it work . They obviously were too shy to chuck him out of their dryer! We all were laughing at him.

We made our way around to Bilge Rat Barges, but this was when the rain came and thunder and lightning closed all rides. We were wet anyway so decided it didn’t matter that it was raining and we walked back to the hotel.

The room was beautiful and we were in the same tower and same floor as Mum and Dad, just a little way along the corridor. Lots of photos of the room here.

In the hotel room we unpacked the little bits we needed for the last couple of days. The kids finished off the blue candy floss, while Dave and me made a start on the drinks we had brought over from POFQ. We then decided we may as well have a second each as we were waiting for the rain to stop so we could go to the pool. By 6.30pm we decided we were too hungry to wait for the pool so we showered and got changed to go out for dinner.

It was still quite drizzly on our walk to Citywalk. I had seen a couple of good reviews for Antojitos and as the only Mexican we have had all trip was the nachos we really fancied this.

When we checked in they said it might be a 30 minute wait, but less than 5 minutes after arriving they sent me a text to say the table was ready, so we didn’t have a chance to order drinks at the bar before being seated, which was a bit of a shame.

The table we were shown to was rubbish and I should have asked for a better table, but as it was gone 8pm I didn’t and we sat down.

It was on the patio right over in the corner and was actually two small round tables pushed together. It was very noisy and we were shoved over by the bins in the corner.

For drinks Dave and me both got a Stingray Margarita, tequila, Cointreau, fresh jalapeno and lime.

Two photos, it was that good side view...

Also, as an aside, I don't think Dave and Dad deliberately co-ordinated with their pink shirts

And from the top...

This was a really spicy drink, but very tasty.

Mum had a blood orange Margarita, which she enjoyed, tasty but no spice.

Dad had a Sol and the kids both had cokes.

We didn’t order appetisers as I knew there would be tortilla chips brought out.

These were good and we enjoyed the salsa with them. It was hard to resist going back for more.

I had enchiladas verde, with beans and rice. These were good, not too big a portion and I enjoyed them. Could have been a bit spicier though.

Max had chicken quesadilla’s from the appetisers and a side of fries. He really enjoyed his meal.

Dave and Kate had chicken tacos, with beans and rice. They liked them.

Mum had shrimp tacos, which she said she really liked. She’s not over keen on hot spice so she was pleased it didn’t blow her head off. Dad had tacos and it looks like a meat filling, notes were starting to fail me this close to the end.

At the end of the meal Kate and Max were both given drinks to go by the server, she was great and was one of the better things about the meal.

I’m glad we tried the Mexican here, I’m not sure I’d bother to go back again though. We’ve been to Chilli’s on I Drive and even without a car I’d rather get a Lyft/Uber there than come back here. It was worth trying out and I didn’t want to revert back to one of our favourites (kids were pushing for Cowfish or Margaritaville or Bubba Gumps or Hard Rock) so I’m glad we tried it as I’ve not had a margarita quite like that before either.

We slowly walked back to the hotel and were back in our room by 10pm. I set the room wake up call and there was an option to select different characters waking you up, so I went for option number 3 which was Kong! I was excited to see what Kong sounded like.

We had a really good first day at Universal in spite of being rained off. Dinner while not the best table, was still good food and the margarita was lovely. We also managed 3 out of 4 things on my list. We used up all of our credits before leaving WDW, I was brave enough for Rip, Ride Rockit and Mum did marvel at Diagon Alley . Plus we fit in a whole heap of rides at the studio's park. But we didn’t we make it onto Hagrids and unfortunately we didn’t make it on there at all this trip, but that’s just another reason to go back next year right?

Statistics
Steps 22,422
Attractions 11 (wowser, those express passes were handy )

Coming Soon
Next up tomorrow we had fun in IOA, the rain once again thwarted our afternoon pool plans and we end up at one of our favourites for dinner – Cowfish.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

I loved the express passes so much! Would never go back without them.
Hagrid’s is AWESOME! I absolutely loved it, I would say it’s definitely worth queuing for - I did the early morning dash and then it was tech for an hour so I didn’t get on until 10am but it still didn’t dampen my enthusiasm for it so you know it’s a good ride!

Sounds like a fab first day at Universal.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Once you go express you can never go back to being a muggle!

Glad to see you enjoyed universal and RPR. I really do like that hotel, especially as it's usually the cheapest!
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

I think the queue at RPR always appears to be long. Our queue at HRH was much smaller. But I love RPR such a pretty resort. So glad you rode RRR! Well done Abby!

Glad that you got Kate's wand working. If it doesn't work I think they will exchange them for you, but don't quote me on it.

Fab idea for the flip flops, I definitely think we need to remember this next time! We spent 30 minutes drying ours with the hairdryer

A fab first day at Universal, shame about Antonitos though but as you say at least you've tried it xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie92
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Sounds like a great first day at Universal, even with the rain.

Obviously too late now, but I thought it might be worth mentioning for the future - at River Adventure if you go to the manned photo desks, they can move the image so that everyone’s in frame! We had to do that this summer, I was cut off in the image on the “self-service” screen
sophie92 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
I loved the express passes so much! Would never go back without them.
Hagrid’s is AWESOME! I absolutely loved it, I would say it’s definitely worth queuing for - I did the early morning dash and then it was tech for an hour so I didn’t get on until 10am but it still didn’t dampen my enthusiasm for it so you know it’s a good ride!

Sounds like a fab first day at Universal.
That's good to hear about Hagrids it does get rave reviews, we will have to prioritise going on it next summer. I haven't decided yet whether to bother with a universal hotel. Before writing up this day I sort of thought I wouldn't bother and would just do a cheapo I drive hotel for the first 2 nights but having written today's report I sort of reminded myself how valuable the express passes were. So, I'm tempting myself to get RPR again! I need to see how many Clubcard vouchers I've got and maybe use them again.

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Once you go express you can never go back to being a muggle!

Glad to see you enjoyed universal and RPR. I really do like that hotel, especially as it's usually the cheapest!
It seems like I may end up being converted! It was so handy having the passes as we didn't need to worry about what to do and when we just got on rides when we fancied.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I think the queue at RPR always appears to be long. Our queue at HRH was much smaller. But I love RPR such a pretty resort. So glad you rode RRR! Well done Abby!

Glad that you got Kate's wand working. If it doesn't work I think they will exchange them for you, but don't quote me on it.

Fab idea for the flip flops, I definitely think we need to remember this next time! We spent 30 minutes drying ours with the hairdryer

A fab first day at Universal, shame about Antonitos though but as you say at least you've tried it xx
I guess there's a high turnover of guests at RPR every day and that's why the check in queue is so long. There were lots of staff about and they were moving pretty quickly so it wasn't too bad.

Kate did really well actually casting spells and not giving up and stropping too much this trip.

The flip flops are a must and really light so not a hassle to carry around. My park bag had my phone, snacks and flip flops. It must have looked weird going through the little scanner things at the entrance to citywalk.

Originally Posted by sophie92 View Post
Sounds like a great first day at Universal, even with the rain.

Obviously too late now, but I thought it might be worth mentioning for the future - at River Adventure if you go to the manned photo desks, they can move the image so that everyone’s in frame! We had to do that this summer, I was cut off in the image on the “self-service” screen
That's a really helpful tip about the realignment of the photo I'll have to remember that for next summer in case I get cut out of it again.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Loving this trip report

We are planning on staying at RPR next year after not visiting since 2014 so I really enjoyed reading this day. The rooms look lovely and good to hear about how valuable the express passes were as that would be our main reason for booking!

Well done on Rip Ride Rocket - I'm not sure I would ever be brave enough for that! Looking forward to more
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by minnie52 View Post
Loving this trip report

We are planning on staying at RPR next year after not visiting since 2014 so I really enjoyed reading this day. The rooms look lovely and good to hear about how valuable the express passes were as that would be our main reason for booking!

Well done on Rip Ride Rocket - I'm not sure I would ever be brave enough for that! Looking forward to more
It was a great day, we got so much done without any thinking or strategizing about the best order to do rides. We just walked around the park and got on as we turned up at the entrance, it was so nice not to think about wait times and to not have to criss cross the park to get to a ride that has a short wait time. The express passes were worth it.

Old 16 Dec 19, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Wow, you're really loving the express passes! You managed to pack so many rides into your day, and I'm so glad your mum loved all the Harry Potter stuff. Well done going on Rip Ride Rocket... just looking at that thing terrifies me I had to chuckle at your dad jumping in the people drier with strangers, bless him

Your room at RPR looks really nice... the rooms have obviously had a re-vamp since we stayed there, 2014 I think, so a long time ago.

The food at Antojitos looks good, as does the mojito. It's a shame you were shoved in a corner though but glad it didn't spoil your evening.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Wow, you're really loving the express passes! You managed to pack so many rides into your day, and I'm so glad your mum loved all the Harry Potter stuff. Well done going on Rip Ride Rocket... just looking at that thing terrifies me I had to chuckle at your dad jumping in the people drier with strangers, bless him

Your room at RPR looks really nice... the rooms have obviously had a re-vamp since we stayed there, 2014 I think, so a long time ago.

The food at Antojitos looks good, as does the mojito. It's a shame you were shoved in a corner though but glad it didn't spoil your evening.
It was great to have the passes and to not have worry about wait times and get on the rides as we came across them in the parks. It was such a fun day. Dad jumping in the dryer was hilarious we were all laughing at him. It was Max who spotted him first of all and he took great pleasure in telling us what Grandad was up to.