Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

United Airlines and Tall People

Got a really great quote tonight from Travelplanner flying on United Airlines Dublin to Orlando via Newark. DP is 6'4" and I'd hate for him to be uncomfortable on such long flights (look at me being a lovely person).

Any tall dibbers here that have flown economy with United and been satisfied? Don't think we could afford the extra for PE.

Thanks
Old 6 Jul 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Confession - I'm not tall and haven't flown United in a long time. But economy pitch is pretty standard across the long haul airlines at 31". So if he can tolerate economy on say BA or VA, he should be fine.

Can you prebook an exit or bulkhead row on United? That should make it more comfortable, and a cheaper option than PE.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Confession - I'm not tall and haven't flown United in a long time. But economy pitch is pretty standard across the long haul airlines at 31". So if he can tolerate economy on say BA or VA, he should be fine.

Can you prebook an exit or bulkhead row on United? That should make it more comfortable, and a cheaper option than PE.
He flew BA Belfast to London a few weeks ago and said he was grand so hopefully it'll be the same on United.

I'll probably go ahead and book and then have a look at exit row at seat selection.

Thanks very much!
Old 7 Jul 17, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

United had a class well it's not really a class called economy extra gives you loads of room it's not much more than economy and you get no other enhancements except space.

If you can't get it when you book ask at checkin and you may get it as low as £50.

When we flew with united we had status so got it free
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We flew with United last October and DS2 is 5ft 11ins so not as tall as your DP but he said there was plenty of room
Old 7 Jul 17, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

I can confirm what Sew109 has mentioned. They have economy+ which is not the same as premium economy, you just get more leg room.
I haven't flown with United since 2010 but back then they were constantly asking people if they wanted to pay extra for the leg room both at check-in and at the gate before and during boarding. It wasn't very expensive, maybe €75 to €90?

As it turned out they had more people without the upgrade than seats without the upgrade, so they gave us new boarding passes as we were boarding . I am 6 ft tall and my sister is about 5'10" so we think they put a note in the bookings of tall people at check-in to decide who they were going to upgrade.

On the way back we checked in with a very nice gentleman at MCO (think he was a manager) and he said something along the lines of "you ladies look tall, I'll upgrade you for the flight from Washington to Brussels". So he was able to that in Orlando even! We were very grateful .

Of course this is not something you can count on happening, but you could certainly look into paying the upgrade which shouldn't be too expensive. At 6'4" I can imagine it would be worth it!
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Economy+ sounds good, thanks for that info guys!

If it's not too expensive I'd consider it or maybe someone will take pity on him and give him it free lol!
nicohna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeysbuddy
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I flew United from Belfast to Newark to MCO last July.

I'm 6ft2, extra leg room is a requirement for me, I can't cope with normal seats.
Having just a bit more leg room.

I upgrade to extra leg room for the long part. eg: belfast to Newark/Newark to belfast.

I'm fine for a few hours on a plane. so newark to mco/mco to newark I didn't upgrade.
mickeysbuddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeysbuddy View Post
I flew United from Belfast to Newark to MCO last July.

I'm 6ft2, extra leg room is a requirement for me, I can't cope with normal seats.
Having just a bit more leg room.

I upgrade to extra leg room for the long part. eg: belfast to Newark/Newark to belfast.

I'm fine for a few hours on a plane. so newark to mco/mco to newark I didn't upgrade.
Thanks for the reply!

Was it PE or Economy+ you upgraded to and if you can remember a rough price?
Old 7 Jul 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeysbuddy
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

It was economy plus, they didn’t have a PE.

It was $154 each. total $308
That was just for the flight over.

It was the same price coming back.

So it was expensive enough but I put budget aside to pay for that because I hate flying without extra leg room.
mickeysbuddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List