Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Nov 17, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Friday'sChild
Imagineer

Friday'sChild's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Latinosharkey View Post
Is it just me or are there going to be too many rooms for the parks?

I know that they are planning a 4th (or even a 5th) gate near the convention center but with these additional hotels there wont be much room for offsite guests.

Universal Studios is small as is Volcano Bay. Fair enough, Islands is larger. But three gates for this many rooms - the ratios are very lucrative.

Don't get wrong: I understand that Comcast need to make money and the hotels look lovely but will onsite guest overrun the parks?

I suppose Disney are doing the same... hmmm.
My thoughts exactly but as you state Disney are doing the same BUT there are more Disney parks to take the volume of guests IMHO

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7748_13.gif
Friday'sChild is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Universal theme parks are already running near capacity from end of May to early August.

As for Volcano Bay, this is much too small for the expected visitor numbers
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Universal theme parks are already running near capacity from end of May to early August.
Can you quote actual evidence of this please?

Only, the Disney parks - especially MK - have a higher attendance and they are not "running near capacity" during this time. So I doubt the Universal parks are either.

Like the Disney parks, the Universal park are very busy during this time, yes. But that's not the same as being near capacity.

As I mentioned earlier, if you assume the new hotels do actually attract new guests in addition to the existing guests at the other offsite hotels then these hotels will add around an extra 4000 to 5000 guests at each park per day at most. During the summer months that means maybe around 45000 people in the park rather than 40000 people. That's still less than the average crowds at MK.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Mobile

The capacity of universal parks is around 40k each.

Dates in summer are often not far off this figure although Christmas is busier
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

in 2016, attendance was 19.300.000 ( 2 parks together)

that's roughly 52.900 visitors inside both parks on average every day

that's 26.450 visitors on average, per park, per day

that's 66% of capacity on average.

so even with *close to capacity* days, it's easy to see that there is still room for a few thousand people, in the current state of the parks

with, let's say, 30 days of 40.000 visitors per park (highly exagerated assumption), and if we draw the average in both parks, that's 2.400.000 guests in 30 days, leaving an average of 25.200 guests per park per day, on the 335 non capacity days (365 - random example of 30 capacity days)

anyway you look at it, 5000 additional guests per park and per day will not make much of a difference on most days. Most days would be below 30.000 guests on a 40.000 capacity cap. Still manageable for anyone.

Days that are aleady busy would be overly busy, and the rest of the year would just be slightly busier.

but nothing to call the cops about
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
The capacity of universal parks is around 40k each.
That seems rather low. Where did you get the capacity of Universal's parks from?

I know some forums from a few years ago mentioned a number around that figure (35k to 40k) but they also said the same of the Disney parks. And clearly that's wrong! For example this site says, "IOA's capacity is 40 thousand to my knowledge (as is WDW's Magic Kingdom)" but we know that MK's capacity is just under 100k. MK's average daily attendance is 55k so the capacity must be more than this.

Magic Kingdom is approximately the same size as Universal Studios - about 108 acres. If 55,000 people can reasonably easily fit inside MK then I'd expect 55,000 to fit inside Universal Studios without reaching capacity.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mix69
Trying for More Ears

I think they are honestly planning for the third park, that's down by convention centre I think with all the land they bought.
These hotels will be perfect for transporting to all the Universal parks, as it will most probably be a 20-30 min bus journey to the new park. I think they are planning a longer game, they space is going unused and the hotels might not even hit capacity for a while but when the third park opens and they offer an incentive to stay at their hotel I think it will be very popular.
I never drive when staying in Orlando so the benefit of having the free transport to the parks and reliable shuttle service that has regular intervals is appealing.
I loved staying at Cabana Bay and being able to get the transport back whenever I wanted instead of set times was brilliant.
Old 13 Feb 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

These hotels are catering for the budget option and not necessarily visiting Universal every day therefore not significantly impacting on visitor numbers to Universal.
It’s like the Seaworld hotels aren’t just for those visiting Seaworld. They basically have the spare land due to wet n wild closing and they have decided to build hotels on them and as they will be new and sparkly-more competition for the current I-drive hotels 😄👍
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
These hotels are catering for the budget option and not necessarily visiting Universal every day therefore not significantly impacting on visitor numbers to Universal.
It’s like the Seaworld hotels aren’t just for those visiting Seaworld. They basically have the spare land due to wet n wild closing and they have decided to build hotels on them and as they will be new and sparkly-more competition for the current I-drive hotels 😄👍
And bring people into city walk and isnt there a new universal mall rumoured like Disney springs? At least they are thinking of the value market rather than squeezing every cent out of you like Disney .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List