Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Jan 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Dog
Trying for More Ears

Should I drop one for Garden Grill? (First timer)

Hi guys

My ADR day is tomorrow. I would really like to add in Garden Grill but am struggling with which one to drop, or if I should drop one at all? Its just that I always hear good things about Garden Grill and I think it would be a shame to not experience it. We're first timers - 2 adults 2 kids (9 and 5). Staying 14 nights onsite on DDP.

I haven't used many TS credits for breakfast as I'd rather use them for lunch and dinner. There will be more choice food wise, where as with breakfast you kinda know what you're getting. I'm happy to use QS for breakfast or have it in room on occasions.

Here's our ADR choices...
  • First full day at MK - BOG (breakfast)
  • Day 2 at HS - Sci-fi (lunch) ... Storybook Dining (Dinner)
  • Day 3 at AK - Yak & Yeti (lunch)
  • Day 4 at Typhoon Lagoon - 1900 Park Fare (dinner)
  • Day 5 rest day - BOG (lunch) ... T-REX (dinner)
  • Day 6 at Epcot - ?
  • Day 7 at MK - CRT (lunch or dinner - depends when I get BBB booked)
  • Day 8 at Blizzard Beach - Sanaa (dinner)
  • Day 9 at AK - Tusker House ROL Package (dinner)
  • Day 10 at HS - Hollywood & Vine (Breakfast/Fantasmic)... Ohana (dinner)
  • Day 11 at Epcot - Akershus (breakfast)... Teppan Edo (dinner)
  • Day 12 at MK - Tony's (lunch parade package)

- My 5 year old daughter loves princesses so thats why I chose Akershus for breakfast rather than Garden Grill.

- Tony's parade package was thrown in at last minute as I like the idea of front row view of parade - not going for the food.

- Not wanting to do Hollywood & Vine at all but wanting the VIP seats for Fantasmic so feel this is a better option than Mama Melrose due to the characters.

- Not too fussed for 1900 either but again, doing it for the characters.

Here are others I had shortlisted but sadly not enough credits to do them all ... Boma, Jungle Navigation, The Wave, Grand Floridian Cafe, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Crystal Palace, Chef Arts, Raglan Road, Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Boathouse, Restaurant Marrakesh, San Angel Inn, Tutto Italia, Nine Dragons, La Hacienda

If anyone has any suggestions or or would like to critique please fire away.

Edited at 06:47 PM.
Slinky Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Yes, I would make room for GG but just to otherwise say on your plans...

Tusker House ROL package for dinner may be a tough one as it depends what time the show is on. But often the ROL package times don't go much later than 5pm, with lunch time seating being more common.

For day 10, what time are you planning for your Ohana reservation? I can't see you being able to do both that and Fantasmic on the same day with the travel time required between the two. The dining package seating isn't really any better than the FP seating so I would definitely drop H&V if that's the only reason to book it as you can just FP it instead.

I also wouldn't book the Tony's lunch as it's usually quite easy to get a good parade viewing spot, especially if you're prepared to wait it out for a bit.

Edited at 07:04 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

Just book the garden grill anyway, and cancel that or an other one later.
It's much easier to cancel an ADR then to get one
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dutchdisneyfan View Post
Good point! I had ADRs every day for the four months between booking those and FPs, then cancelled the ones I didn't need.

Also forgot to mention in my previous post that GG has characters all day so it doesn't have to be a breakfast. I prefer the breakfast but the lunch/dinner has its fans too so take a look at that menu.
Old 12 Jan 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Dog
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Yes, I would make room for GG but just to otherwise say on your plans...

Tusker House ROL package for dinner may be a tough one as it depends what time the show is on. But often the ROL package times don't go much later than 5pm, with lunch time seating being more common.

For day 10, what time are you planning for your Ohana reservation? I can't see you being able to do both that and Fantasmic on the same day with the travel time required between the two. The dining package seating isn't really any better than the FP seating so I would definitely drop H&V if that's the only reason to book it as you can just FP it instead.

I also wouldn't book the Tony's lunch as it's usually quite easy to get a good parade viewing spot, especially if you're prepared to wait it out for a bit.
I had a look and for the ROL package the latest that Tusker can be booked is 6:30pm. First ROL show starts 6:30pm and later show is 7:45pm. But thats fine changing Tusker House to lunch instead is no problem.

I was planning to book Ohana for around 5:30pm. Do you think I would still be hard pushed to make it back to HS for Fantasmic? Or is there any other day you think would be a better option?

Regarding the VIP Fantasmic seats, I just thought this was a better option than the FP as I wouldn't want to use my initial 3 fastpasses for it. I wouldn't mind using a FP for it if I knew I could be guaranteed one after my initial 3 fastpasses for that day are used. What are the chances of this? I would really like to drop Hollywood & Vine if I could.

The reason for booking Tony's parade package is just that I don't fancy waiting an hour or so in the heat to get a good parade spot, especially knowing my two kids they would get really irritable

Originally Posted by Dutchdisneyfan View Post
Good idea
Slinky Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi you have quite a few double days and breakfasts. Would be inclined to drop one of these.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

What time is Fantasmic on? I'd allow at least 1.5 hours for Ohana as they often seem to seat late based on numerous trippies I've read. Then you'd have to transfer back to HS, get into the park, walk right around to Fantasmic and be in around half an hour before the show. So you're realistically looking at 3 hours minimum?

As for not using up your FPs, I can understand that although there aren't that many rides in HS to even use a FP for so it's one day I actually don't mind locking out additional passes on. Half of the Fantasmic seating is for FP holders though, so it theoretically could be one to be picked up as a 4th.
Old 12 Jan 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Dog
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi you have quite a few double days and breakfasts. Would be inclined to drop one of these.
Hi, not sure I know what you mean?

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
What time is Fantasmic on? I'd allow at least 1.5 hours for Ohana as they often seem to seat late based on numerous trippies I've read. Then you'd have to transfer back to HS, get into the park, walk right around to Fantasmic and be in around half an hour before the show. So you're realistically looking at 3 hours minimum?

As for not using up your FPs, I can understand that although there aren't that many rides in HS to even use a FP for so it's one day I actually don't mind locking out additional passes on. Half of the Fantasmic seating is for FP holders though, so it theoretically could be one to be picked up as a 4th.
I've tweaked the plans a bit.

Day 2 is now Sci-Fi lunch and T-Rex Dinner
Day 4 is now Storybook Dining (dinner)
Day 5 is now 1900 (dinner)
Day 6 I've added Garden Grill (lunch)
Day 9 Tusker House is now lunch (ROL package)
Day 10 Removed Hollywood & Vine and Ohana, will look at options
Day 12 is Tony's (parade lunch) and Ohana (dinner)

After giving it some thought I can just book Fantasmic on FP after all as this will be our second day at HS, we will have went on most if not all the rides with our fastpasses on the first day at HS anyway.

I'm a bit relieved now as I felt H&V was taking up a credit that would've went to better use elsewhere!

The hours aren't released yet for my dates on Disney website but going by The Dibb's park hours, Fantasmic on that day is 9pm. Do you think its looking a little better now?
Old 12 Jan 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
I’d do a garden grill breakfast. Book it for 8am on a non emh day and you will get on soarin afterwards leaving you free to use your other teir one fast pass for test track or frozen.

In terms of what to drop, there are a few there we wouldn’t do but I have an 11 year old ds so we are all different.
What I would do though is get yourself a landrys card for t-Rex. You won’t need a reservation as you will get the next available table. Also if you have done a sci fi lunch you’ll probably not want a massive amount so you can pay oop and use the $ 25 the Landry card costs towards your meal.
You will also get a free $25 birthday reward that you could use to pay at yak and yeti, share some meals and pay oop. Which would give you a credit free or you could also do rainforest with this.

Ps we’ve just booked our adrs last week and there was really good availability.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Tony’s and Ohana will be a lot of food in one day.

Breakfast and dinner works but lunch and dinner is a lot