Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Sep 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
Also just remembered starting next Thursday 12th Sept is the Hairy Bikers - Route 66 at 9pm on BBC2. they did the route a few days before we did it.
Ooh yes, we knew about that. We’ll definitely be watching, although I think they only did 6 stops but still hoping to see at least a decent amount of the route.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
As usual, I'm late to the party. Route 66 has been on my bucket list for quite a few years, and had planned to do it by bike a couple of years ago, on an organised trip (Eaglerider), however, health issues have reared their ugly head, and I can no longer spend all day riding. Therefore I changed my plans, and decided to drive it with the dearly beloved around September time, maybe 2021. Now, all three adult daughters have decided they'd like to join us
I've read some useful information here, and will check out some of the advice. I used DFCH's website to do a "budget" price and got a surprisingly good rate, so not sure if the website calculated the "one way drop off". I suspect not.
Budgeting for flights etc not an issue, I just need to get my head around the accommodation en route. Many years ago, BC (before children) we used to drive from one city to another, flying in and out of different airports and just book hotels on the fly. No internet or mobile phones in those days! Probably not advisable, or practical with five of us if that's what it ends up being.
I look forward to hearing how your trip goes Lynda.

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Segdude View Post
As usual, I'm late to the party. Route 66 has been on my bucket list for quite a few years, and had planned to do it by bike a couple of years ago, on an organised trip (Eaglerider), however, health issues have reared their ugly head, and I can no longer spend all day riding. Therefore I changed my plans, and decided to drive it with the dearly beloved around September time, maybe 2021. Now, all three adult daughters have decided they'd like to join us
I've read some useful information here, and will check out some of the advice. I used DFCH's website to do a "budget" price and got a surprisingly good rate, so not sure if the website calculated the "one way drop off". I suspect not.
Budgeting for flights etc not an issue, I just need to get my head around the accommodation en route. Many years ago, BC (before children) we used to drive from one city to another, flying in and out of different airports and just book hotels on the fly. No internet or mobile phones in those days! Probably not advisable, or practical with five of us if that's what it ends up being.
I look forward to hearing how your trip goes Lynda.
Thanks for your input Nick. I tried the DFCH site as well and got a good price. Also Virgin car hire was about the same but had a note that $500 would be charged when the car was collected. I suspect the same would apply with DFCH although it didn't say.

Haha, adult children do like to invite themselves along. I think you would definitely be best to book ahead if you need several rooms. I think we will pre-book most, if not all accommodation in advance for peace of mind.

I'm working on my 4th version of the plan currently, so once I get that finalised and car hire booked I'll start a pre-trip report. It's all very exciting, but needs even more planning than Disney!

Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Thanks for your input Nick. I tried the DFCH site as well and got a good price. Also Virgin car hire was about the same but had a note that $500 would be charged when the car was collected. I suspect the same would apply with DFCH although it didn't say.

Haha, adult children do like to invite themselves along. I think you would definitely be best to book ahead if you need several rooms. I think we will pre-book most, if not all accommodation in advance for peace of mind.

I'm working on my 4th version of the plan currently, so once I get that finalised and car hire booked I'll start a pre-trip report. It's all very exciting, but needs even more planning than Disney!
Gosh, planning our trips to Florida is soooo easy compared to this, but I must confess I do enjoy it (but don't tell the family).
I look forward to reading your reports

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Stay at the View hotel in Monument Valley and do a Navajo tour worth every penny. Stay in the park hotel at Grand Canyon view the sunrise and sunset.

Edited at 09:56 PM.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
Stay at the View hotel in Monument Valley and do a Navajo tour worth every penny. Stay in the park hotel at Grand Canyon view the sunrise and sunset.
Thank you. These are both on our “must visit” list do we’ll look into the overnight stays.

Old 15 Oct 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

we did route 66 in August - we had a blast and I'm sure you will have a great time as well.

As well as the Here it is maps and EZ guide I would recommend the Route 66 Navigation app -well worth £30 to use it offline.

we went with all good intentions to stay as much as possible on the route or at least one of the alignments -didt really take in how vast mid america is and was resigned to jump on the interstate for some chunks - the App will guide you to poi's and some were 70 miles apart!

The people also make the trip and not just the pois - take time to talk to them and fraternise their stores -there are some real characters!

we also managed to circumvent the one way drop off fee -with Hertz -we chose to collect the car in Chicago downtown and dropped it off at a downtown LA depot and got an uber to LAX.

we allocated 2 weeks for R66 and included side trips to Branson, Monument Valley, GC and Vegas -we also went Niagra and New Orleans before and after R66 so spent 22 days away all together.
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Diveteam
a Friend of the DIBB

We did Route 66 back in 2009 (before we had kids). It was a great holiday that we still look back on now. We had the luxury of taking three weeks so we were able to do a number of extra detours to places like Roswell, Memphis and Lincoln.

We used the EZ66 guide and a few others I can't remember the name of but also programmed my TomTom Sat nav at the time with all the points of interest we wanted to see along the way.

My advice would be to try and stop at every roadside attraction you can along the way.

I wrote a blog about the trip that you can see here: travelshorts/travel-...route-66-2009/

Here is also a YouTube playlist for all the videos I took along the trip: ... ?lis...GBmx9b0nxDfsrz

I hope they are helpful.

Mark

Edited at 01:36 PM.
Diveteam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by rsvdaz View Post
we did route 66 in August - we had a blast and I'm sure you will have a great time as well.

As well as the Here it is maps and EZ guide I would recommend the Route 66 Navigation app -well worth £30 to use it offline.

we went with all good intentions to stay as much as possible on the route or at least one of the alignments -didt really take in how vast mid america is and was resigned to jump on the interstate for some chunks - the App will guide you to poi's and some were 70 miles apart!

The people also make the trip and not just the pois - take time to talk to them and fraternise their stores -there are some real characters!

we also managed to circumvent the one way drop off fee -with Hertz -we chose to collect the car in Chicago downtown and dropped it off at a downtown LA depot and got an uber to LAX.

we allocated 2 weeks for R66 and included side trips to Branson, Monument Valley, GC and Vegas -we also went Niagra and New Orleans before and after R66 so spent 22 days away all together.
Thank you for your advice. Great tip about the hire car, I’ll look into that. We’re having a full day in LA anyway so no need to drop at the airport. We already have the EZ66 book, and I’ve heard good things about the app. I think we’ll end up getting the maps though. Everyone who has driven it seems to love it, I’m sure we will too.

Old 15 Oct 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Diveteam View Post
We did Route 66 back in 2009 (before we had kids). It was a great holiday that we still look back on now. We had the luxury of taking three weeks so we were able to do a number of extra detours to places like Roswell, Memphis and Lincoln.

We used the EZ66 guide and a few others I can't remember the name of but also programmed my TomTom Sat nav at the time with all the points of interest we wanted to see along the way.

My advice would be to try and stop at every roadside attraction you can along the way.

I wrote a blog about the trip that you can see here: travelshorts/travel-...route-66-2009/

Here is also a YouTube playlist for all the videos I took along the trip: .. ?list=PL1mvG3Rrtk2WeEkbi50GBmx9b0nxDfsrz

I hope they are helpful.

Mark
Thank you so much for the link to your blog, I’ll definitely have a read of it. Some interesting places that you visited, unfortunately we are tied to 2 weeks. Good advice about trying to stop at as many places as possible, we’ll certainly try our best. I think it will be such an interesting trip.