Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 30 Jul 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Hi we have been to California, during the planning if that trip I really wished we were going to Florida.
However California is amazing and I am so glad we have been.
I wouldn’t change a thing now we loved it.
It wasn’t,t cheap the hotels food etc are more expensive than Florida but we knew that.
We had a month road trip ( apart from LA) loved it. We even had a rest in Vegas for 6 nights to re charge our batteries!
Visit Cali and make plans for Florida another year, you’ ll Regret not going and always wonder!
Old 30 Jul 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

This spring we did no Disney, we did do SW, Aquatica and DC though, whilst in Orlando we also had a day in Mount Dora.
After Orlando we had a few days near Tampa for Busch Gardens and Clearwater before driving straight across to Vero Beach . Not a mouse anywhere and we had an amazing time.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
Ocala, Silver Springs. Its a lovely day out and really different from the Orlando theme parks.
St Augustines. (Could stay overnight to get the most out of it).
Winery Tour, easy to drive to in about 30 mins. Its called Lakeridge.
Celebration, just below Disney.
Winter Park boat tours, one of our favourite things to do. Lovely area to walk around and have lunch.
Lake ridge have grape stomping whilst we’re there. Thanks for the info on here.
Old 30 Jul 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Northtim View Post
Fly into Miami then travel across Everglades (doing an airboat somewhere along the way which will be far better than the ones near Orlando - we have done both and the boat from Everglades City was amazing).

Then stay on Gulf Coast - recommend finding a Villa with a boat in Cape Coral and exploring around there and Sanibel Island.

This was our Orlando alternative last year and it was excellent...

Having said that we are off to California in 2 weeks and can't wait for that. Big road trip planned from LA to Vegas/Grand Canyon etc. Have also done San Fran to LA and back via Yosemite a few years ago and that was excellent too.

Depends if you want to go without the theme parks though? If you still want Disney/Universal they are there in LA although we haven't visited them, and LA itself is not somewhere we will be spend more than a day on our trips - fine for longer if you are going to the parks but I didn't find the city very appealing. Loads of amazing places in every direction from LA though!
At last someone else not keen on LA ! I think people have an image of LA but reality is far from it.
Old 30 Jul 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
izzitme
Excited about Disney

What about Winter Garden Farmers Market on a Saturday morning wintergardenfarmersmarket/

Followed by food & a drink at Crooked Can Brewing Company crookedcan/
Old 31 Jul 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
stardoman
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
At last someone else not keen on LA ! I think people have an image of LA but reality is far from it.

I don't like LA either. I didn't like San Francisco last time either - too many homeless people and the city was quite dirty. Saw a man do a poo on the pavement.

But I love San Diego. Have been twice and still feel that I haven't touched the surface.
stardoman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jacko!
Trying for More Ears

We now spend a week on the Gulf coast. A few things to look at that we enjoyed:
Homosassa Springs, swim with the manatee also visit the state park.
Clearwater, plenty to do including the Marine Aquarium.
Fort De Soto Park, spend the day at the best beach in the US.
Anna Maria Island, spend a few days to unwind.
All within 2 1/2 hrs drive of Orlando if you dont want to stay over.
jacko!  is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

We are flying into Orlando, one night at clarion inn, lake buena vista then going to Dunedin for 3 nights, taking in Clearwater, honeymoon island, Clearwater aquarium, Tampa zoo, Florida aquarium. We are then returning yo a villa in Championsgate and doing done Disney with a bit if wildlife conservation thrown in, going to wildlife survival sanctuary and possibly big cat sanctuary, not booked this yet as we have been before.
We have also previously flown into Miami, done some of the keys and travelled up the coast to Naples where there are some stunning beaches before flying back from Miami.
We have done the other coast, Vancouver to LA but didn't do Disney there, we stayed with friends as we see plenty of Disney in Orlando.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I just saw a video of the Trackers on YouTube doing a bio luminescence canoe tour. It looked really fun/ interesting and pretty unique!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dippy lippy
Excited about Disney

Lots of state parks reasonably close to Orlando with a variety of options - Kayaking, biking, tubing, snorkelling, swimming with manatees, hiking, shows etc etc
dippy lippy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List