Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Oct 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
swan
Excited about Disney

Travelling tomorrow & need toll advice

Hello,
As per the title, we are travelling tomorrow and my husband is getting stressed about the tolls on the Florida turnpike from Miami.

We usually fly into Mco or Tpa but this year we are flying into Miami and travelling up to Orlando.
We will only be using the toll road on our first and last day to travel to the airport.
He seems to think you cant pay cash on the Turnpike.

My questions are as follows-

Can you pay cash on this road or is it all Sunpass/platepass only?

If it is sunpass only, do we purchase this from Hertz?

And lastly, are you only charged for the days you use a toll or are you charged for every day of the rental even if you haven't used a toll road that day?

I thought I was super organised and now DH is stressing about everything which is making me stressed too.

I have read the sunpass info for rental cars on the sunpass website and I think you only pay a daily fee ($4.95) plus the tolls incurred for that day. Is this correct?

Hope someone can help.
swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. No idea on that route sorry. But this is from the SunPass website

$4.95 fee for each calendar day when tolls are incurred plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates). There is no maximum PlatePass convenience fee.

So you will only be hit with an admin fee if you hit a toll(s) that day.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
swan
Excited about Disney

Thank you. That is what I thought when I read it.
swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This web site describes all the toll roads in Florida including the cashless ones which as you say incorporate a substantial piece of the Turnpike in Dade County near Miami.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Tom has explained the Hertz Sunpass charges but if you want to avoid the Turnpike you can access the US27 near MIA and get to the WDW area toll free. It's dual carriageway all the way and passes through a few towns like Sebring and Haines City.

Will take maybe 30 minutes more than the Turnpike though.

Mick
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

If he is stressing about tolls why not use the 27 as it is till free. If you are driving up from the airport it is so simple to access, turn right at the lights once you have exited the airport, keeping going straight until you get to the 27 which is exit from the left hand carriageway and then no tolls. Heading back to the airport it is a right turn onto Le Jeune and then follow signs back to car return.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
swan
Excited about Disney

Thank you for all the advice. I will let him know and he can choose the route since he's driving. It's just the no option to pay cash tolls that was stressing him as we've never used sunpass... just always paid cash as we went and used up all the coins.
Thank you dibbers.
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

All tolls in or around Miami are cashless. Just take your time otherwise one wrong turn will cost you as I found out.
Old 10 Oct 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Hi we’ve just got back with Avis, used the toll roads from Orlando airport & then drove down to Miami, stayed a few days, then drove to Dolphin Mall & Miami Airport, just had our credit card billed & it’s £47, this is I hope the Admin & tolls too
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Hi we’ve just got back with Avis, used the toll roads from Orlando airport & then drove down to Miami, stayed a few days, then drove to Dolphin Mall & Miami Airport, just had our credit card billed & it’s £47, this is I hope the Admin & tolls too
Around $20 of that should be the Avis admin fee because it's basically triggered as soon as you use it as they charge by RENTAL day not USAGE day. However it will depend on whether the Sunpass authorities have billed Avis yet with all your toll uses as to whether Avis will charge you any more. Different toll agencies throughout the state will have different billing dates.

Mick
Old 10 Oct 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Hope that’s the final bill though as roughy £27 of it will be the tolls then
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List