Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 19 Oct 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

The DC to Atlanta Coaster Halloween road trip - Washington DC

We stayed at the District Club by Hilton which is the top 3 floors of the Embassy Suites Georgetown.

I really liked this hotel, October was an expensive time for DC hotels but i got this for £240 a night. The room was huge with a separate bedroom, living room and mini kitchen area, plus you got the benefits of embassy suites so free breakfast and free cocktail hour between 5 and 7. It was in a good location too, just a 20 minute walk from the Lincoln memorial and White House.

While in DC we did the Capitol tour which was really good, what a beautiful building and we took the tunnel to the Library of Congress afterwards which is another beautiful building.

We did a couple of Smithsonian Museums (History and Holocaust) both were excellent, visited Georgetown to see the Exorcist steps (big horror movie fan) and saw the White House.

We couldn’t get close as Marine 1 was on the lawn ready to take off, and as as we were walking up to the Washington Monument it took off and went over us which was fab to see.

We also walked around the monuments at night which were amazing to see in person.

When we planned this for October I thought it would be much cooler weather than our usual September Florida trips. Well not so much as America was experiencing a heat wave and our first day in DC it was the hottest on record since 1986 at 34 degrees! It was boiling and was glad the rest of the trip was cooler!
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

For food we ate at Jaleo which had a fantastic value lunch menu of $20 for four tapas dishes. We had Patatas Bravas, Sweet Onion with Blue Cheese, Garlic Mushrooms, endive and goats cheese salad, Shrimp with Garlic, sausage with white beans and flan for dessert. It was all really good and so much food for the money! We also had their fall Gin cocktail which was fab too. I think they’ve launched this lunch special deal at Disney Springs and we’ll definitely be taking advantage when we’re back.

On the second day we ate at Clydes in Georgetown. This was another great meal. We had cocktails to start, mine was a pear something and Neils was an old fashioned.

I had the single crab cake which was a big portion and the crab cake was almost all crab with little filler, really good served with a mountain of fries. Neil tried the lobster shepherds pie which sounded really weird and it was a little strange but somehow the flavours combination does work!

For dessert we split the key lime pie which was fabulous, best key lime pie I’ve ever had!

Overall we both really liked DC, it felt like there was history around every corner and it’s a very walkable city but come prepared to walk, we walked over 11 miles on our second day and my feet definitely felt it the next day!
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
We're off to Washington DC on Tuesday, I'm getting quite excited now. The memorials look lovely at night all lit up. I hadn't thought of going there are dark, so that's a great tip. Thanks for posting.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Looks a great trip so far and the memorials look stunning in the evening!

We’re off to Washington DC on Friday and are also staying in the District Club by Hilton. So glad that you liked it.

Thanks for the tip about being prepared to walk - will make sure I pack my comfy trainers.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
We're off to Washington DC on Tuesday, I'm getting quite excited now. The memorials look lovely at night all lit up. I hadn't thought of going there are dark, so that's a great tip. Thanks for posting.
Hope you have a great time. It was lovely seeing them at night, we didn’t need to deal with the heat and they lit everything up so beautifully.

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Looks a great trip so far and the memorials look stunning in the evening!

We’re off to Washington DC on Friday and are also staying in the District Club by Hilton. So glad that you liked it.

Thanks for the tip about being prepared to walk - will make sure I pack my comfy trainers.
They really are beautiful to see in person. Hope you like the hotel, we really liked it. The evening drinks happy hour got busy but we never had an issue getting a seat and it was nice to relax for a hour or so with free drinks!

Not sure if you’re a member of the Hilton timeshare program but if not the concierge will grab you when you arrive and ask if you want to attend a presentation. I just said we weren’t interested and didn’t hear anything else about it.
Old 24 Oct 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Love DC haven't been for many years need to go back
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List