Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Nov 17, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
awebber
Proud to wear my Ears

Hong Kong and Hong Kong Disneyland advice

Hi!

Thinking about doing a trip to Hong Kong including Hong Kong Disneyland in July 2018 and have a few questions. We are 2 adults and one child of 6, nearly 7 years old.

Getting some quite good prices flying with Emirates via Dubai at the moment so I think that is who we would fly with. About £1300 return for 2 adults and 1 child. Anyone else we should look at?

Would you do the city or Disney first?

Thinking about doing 3 nights and 2/3 days in Disneyland and 6 nights in the city. Would this be enough time in each place?

I think we would like to stay in the Kowloon area and have looked at a few different hotels.

Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Harbour Grand Kowloon
Kowloon Harbourfront Hotel
New World Millenium Hong Kong Hotel

Has anyone stayed in any of these hotels? If so what were they like? Is the location OK? Any other hotel suggestions welcome, but must have a pool as I see us needing pool breaks from sightseeing with a 6 year old.

What are the must do's in Hong Kong (in addition to Disneyland)? I was thinking: some time at Ocean Park, a trip to Macau, for Bath & Body Works a trip to Victoria Peak, going on the Star Ferry and of course some shopping What else should we not miss?

Is it expensive to eat out in Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 19 Nov 17, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Your plan sounds great.
We visited 2 years ago with our children who were 5 and 10 at the time and there was plenty to do to keep them occupied.
We stayed at the Royal plaza hotel in mongkok which was fab. It was next to a massive shopping mall and minutes from the ladies, goldfish and night markets and also close to mongkok station which made getting around so easy. There was also a great rooftop pool that we and the kids loved in the hotel.
There are loads of cheap places to eat and it was great to try the local delicacys
I feel 2 days spent at Disney would be enough, we only spent 1 day there but when we went in early December there was no wait longer than 10 minutes. Remember this is the smallest of all the Disney parks.
I would recommend adding a trip to the big buddah to your itenery and travel there by using the ngong pin cable car, the views are amazing.
We flew with Cathay Pacific which is Hong kongs national airline and couldn't recommend them enough.
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
awebber
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the advice The Royal Plaza looks lovely! Big Buddah added to list of must do's🙂
Old 20 Nov 17, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

Jumping on this thread - hope that's ok!

How easy is it to get a taxi from HK airport to a city centre hotel? Just a bit concerned it might not be straightforward.

We're hoping to avoid hassle after a long flight, but the private transfer quotes I've had so far seem quite steep!
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

We had a week in Hong Kong in May this year with our 2 kids who are 5 & 2 and did the following:

Day 1 - Star Ferry, Peak Tram, Observation Wheel. (We walk a lot so we walked down Nathan Road to the Star Ferry then from there up to the Peak Tram station and got that up & down to/from the Peak.)

Day 2 - Ocean Park.

Day 3 - Disneyland.

Day 4 - Sai Kung (our friends live there).

Day 5 - Pool, Kowloon Park, Dim Sum, Markets & Shops.

Day 6 - Big Buddha, Pool at Disney Explorers Lodge.

Day 7 - Disneyland.

We had 6 nights in Kowloon at the Eaton Hotel (they have family rooms which have a separate sleeping room with a sofa bed and bunk for the kids and also a roof top pool) then moved to the Explorers Lodge for our last night. We did also visit Disneyland very easily from Kowloon too on the MTR so its not necessary to stay out there.
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017

Edited at 01:33 PM.
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Hil View Post
Jumping on this thread - hope that's ok!

How easy is it to get a taxi from HK airport to a city centre hotel? Just a bit concerned it might not be straightforward.

We're hoping to avoid hassle after a long flight, but the private transfer quotes I've had so far seem quite steep!
It's very very easy. There are lines for the taxi's depending on where you are going so you will be directed to the correct one. We were heading for Kowloon so joined that line and it didn't take long at all. (The other lines were for Hong Kong Island or Lantau Island as they all have different coloured cabs for area). I think we paid around 300 HKD for 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cases, 4 bits of hand luggage and a buggy.

It was a lot easier than it would have been trying to get the MTR or the bus and it was a lot quicker and cheaper than the hotel shuttle would have been and I think we arrived too late for it anyway.

We used a taxi again to go to / from Sai Kung to visit our friends then from our Kowloon hotel (Eaton) to the Disneyland explorers lodge hotel then again from there to the airport for our return flight.
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
awebber
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Ourdaybydesign View Post
We had a week in Hong Kong in May this year with our 2 kids who are 5 & 2 and did the following:

Day 1 - Star Ferry, Peak Tram, Observation Wheel. (We walk a lot so we walked down Nathan Road to the Star Ferry then from there up to the Peak Tram station and got that up & down to/from the Peak.)

Day 2 - Ocean Park.

Day 3 - Disneyland.

Day 4 - Sai Kung (our friends live there).

Day 5 - Pool, Kowloon Park, Dim Sum, Markets & Shops.

Day 6 - Big Buddha, Pool at Disney Explorers Lodge.

Day 7 - Disneyland.

We had 6 nights in Kowloon at the Eaton Hotel (they have family rooms which have a separate sleeping room with a sofa bed and bunk for the kids and also a roof top pool) then moved to the Explorers Lodge for our last night. We did also visit Disneyland very easily from Kowloon too on the MTR so its not necessary to stay out there.
Thank you! That is very helpful
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ourdaybydesign View Post
It's very very easy. There are lines for the taxi's depending on where you are going so you will be directed to the correct one. We were heading for Kowloon so joined that line and it didn't take long at all. (The other lines were for Hong Kong Island or Lantau Island as they all have different coloured cabs for area). I think we paid around 300 HKD for 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cases, 4 bits of hand luggage and a buggy.

It was a lot easier than it would have been trying to get the MTR or the bus and it was a lot quicker and cheaper than the hotel shuttle would have been and I think we arrived too late for it anyway.

We used a taxi again to go to / from Sai Kung to visit our friends then from our Kowloon hotel (Eaton) to the Disneyland explorers lodge hotel then again from there to the airport for our return flight.
Thank you for the info - very reassuring!
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 17, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Currently sat in our room in the Regal Kowloon hotel at the end of a month in Australia. Final day tomorrow - going to Disneyland.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We went for the day as seniors, over 65 and took passports as proof of age. I needed mine but DH was upset they didn't ask him for his. Very easy to get to. We used the train/underground and found the map of stations touch screen easy to use. We had two changes and the sunny bay one for Disney was fantastic with the Disney touches. A great day, park very like Paris in layout with variations in rides and shows. Loved Mystic Manor and the Lion King show differences.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List