Notices

Old 20 Jun 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Scottishnellies 5th Element 2019. Pre-travel Day, Train To Manchester, Premier Inn Heald Green

My pre-travel trip report detailing our plans for this year is in the pretrip section.

Woo-hoo!

It's today!

Kevin was nightshift last night, which I hate when we are going somewhere next day. Normally he goes to bed and I have to be organised enough not to need into the bedroom all morning. This time he decided rather than go to bed he would stay up and just lie on the couch for a while but that meant none of us were allowed downstairs til later so we didn't disturb him. So although I had the run of the house most of the morning I had a later start than usual, so it impacted on bed stripping etc as less washing machine time til we left the house. Hey ho.

I spent the morning finishing sorting hand luggage, taking Kieran for a haircut, picking up Caitlin from her house and bringing her to ours, clearing the fridge, yelling at folk to get in the shower so I would have time to wash and dry the towels... you all know how it goes.

I also did the online checkin and it was the same as last year - kevin couldn't be checked in and we need to do him at the airport. This basically means he has been randomly selected for the extra checks. They definitely think he's dodgy

We set off to the local train station at 12 into Glasgow Central, picked up an assortment of burger kings and M&S meal deals and onto the train for Manchester airport. It was a smaller train than usual so it was jam packed and meant no cheeky wee staff upgrade to first class. Shocking if you ask me.

There was no room for everyone's suitcases in our carriage, so the guard told us to stack our cases in the bike rack in the next carriage. Kevin decided to sit through there with them as he doesn't like not being able to keep an eye on them. The girls sat together, and Kieran with me.

Sitting through there he met an American family who have been on holiday here (what were they thinking?) and are on our flight back home to Orlando tomorrow.

Spent the journey mostly looking out the window (once I persuaded Kieran to switch seats since he was playing on his tablet anyway). Nice sunny day so plenty to see. The girls took a pic of our manicures. Bet you can't guess which hand is mine eh? Spot the mammy!

And when I had a wee snooze my darling daughter took flattering pics

Arrived at Manchester airport station on schedule at 16:49. I'd checked Trainline just before we pulled in to see what platform we needed for the train to Heald Green. We walked 100 yards round to the right platform and onto the 16:59 for the 4min journey.

Off the train, 2 min walk to the premier inn at Heald Green, checked in and all settled.

We had a wander up the Main Street to stretch our legs, stopping at a wee grocers to get Kieran some fruit.

Then we about turned and walked round to the Flying Horse which is of the Hungry Horse chain. We've eaten in the beefeater attached to the hotel the past 2 years with the dinner and breakfast deal but there was no point this year as we are out too early tomorrow. The hungry horse menu is cheap n cheerful

We had:

Curry for Kieran

halloumi and fries for Hannah

chicken and mushroom pie for Caitlin

steak and ale pie for Kevin

and salmon with lemon and garlic sauce for me

Kevin had a pint and I had a wine, Hannah coke and Caitlin and Kieran had water. It was very cheap so definitely a shout for those on a budget.

Kevin then had another pint and Hannah and Kieran had a candy and something or other dessert

Wandered back round to the premier inn and settled down for some TV.

When it got to 9pm I left the boys and went along to the girls room to watch Love Island. I know, I know! I'd never watched it before but this year hannah asked if I would watch it with her as a mammy daughter thing so she could gossip about it with me so of course now I'm hooked.
Although I have to admit I do spend the whole programme giving appropriate mammy commentary ^why do none of their bikinis cover their bums?^ ^What's this thing with the boobs hanging out underneath?^ ^Why would anybody do that on tv^ ^that lassies granny could be watching^ ^don't you ever do that/wear that/say that^ (delete where appropriate). I'm still addicted. Going cold turkey in Florida should sort that out though.

And so pre travel day is done. Alarms are set for our early start and it's off to bed (where I will no doubt lie awake all night worrying about sleeping in for our 5am start)

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by scottishnellie - 20 Jun 19 10:16 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sounds like a good start
Have a great travel day tomorrow
The weathers to be hot hot and not much rain your first few days
I’ll be reading along in Florida time for the next 10 days
Then home sadly
Helen
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Ooh good to know the weather is looking a bit dryer Helen! Thanks x

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Is it possible that I’m more excited than you as I love your reports! My morning reading to get me ready for the day. Safe travels x
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Yay you've started! Safe travels tomorrow, I cannot wait to read about what you all get up to

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Safe travels! Looking forward to reading along 😊
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Thoroughly look forward to reading your daily updates have a great time, and I can just see the "Love Island" viewing experience coming in somewhere !
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Excited this has started. Going to try and read along daily. Good start, although a shame about no upgrade on the train. Well, that was a cheap meal for 5 of you, looked nice as well. Lovely nails girls!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Great start, have a safe journey tomorrow, looking forward to following your report on the other side of the pond.
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List