Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Oct 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile NYC - tips and tricks

So in just over a week we will be in NYC for the first time... 2 adults and a 1 x 2.5 year old.

Spending 5 nights there and hotel is just on 52nd and Madison.

We have the New York Pass so have most (if not all) tourist places already paid for.

Just want to know if any good tips and tricks from people who have been before? Do we do areas in a day? Any advice with toddlers? Places not to miss or best missing?

Any nice family friendly restaurants recommended?

Thanks in advance
Old 19 Oct 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Definitely do areas together, split NY into upper, middle and lower - make a must do list and a if time allows list. Take advantage of the fact you will be awake early and head to the really popular attractions early (we managed to get up the Empire Stage building as it opened and missed loads of queues), also don't rush from attraction to attractions (not sure you can with a toddler anyway), take some time to just absorb the atmosphere of the city. You can probably spend a full day in Central Park, especially with a little one, but also go via Bryant Park and Battery Park to give your little one a bit free running time.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

It took us five visits but we finally walked The Highline and visited Chelsea Markets on our last trip. It was certainly a highlight of our visit. We were going to get some food to eat in Central Park but it was raining so we went to the food court at The Plaza, that was cool.

I’d suggest deciding what you want to do and grouping things together. If you decide to use taxi’s or Uber, just bear in mind the traffic and add extra buffers into your schedule. I don’t have experience of the subway with a toddler so I don’t know how pushchair friendly it is.

I’m not sure what’s included with your pass but going up either the Empire State Building, Top of the Rock or One World Observatory at dusk and seeing the lights of New York coming on is stunning.

Oh, have you looked at going to Coney Island? We’ve been twice and love the atmosphere. If your little one likes the beach and sea then I’d highly recommend a few hours there.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz987
Excited about Disney

watching this thread, we're nearly there same time as you

26th - 31st happy happy happy
2015 - Sunset lakes villa
Buzz987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

I'm not sure what days exactly you will be there on but on Saturdays there is a food market in Williamsburg, Brooklyn called Smorgasburg. It is without doubt some of the best food I've had in New York and is right on the edge of the river so has stunning views of the Manhattan skyline. It is outdoors so obviously dependent on the weather but I can't recommend it enough. It just gives you a totally different perspective of the City which a lot of people don't usually get to see.

You would need to get the subway there (should only take about half an hour), and you could walk the Brooklyn Bridge back over to Manhattan. You would need to take a quick subway ride to get to the Bridge from the food market, but I honestly couldn't think of a better way of spending a Saturday morning/afternoon! One of my favourite things I've done in NYC.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post

If heading down to battery park to go over to statue of liberty there is a lovely indoor glass fish carousel. It glows in the dark and is beautiful then but the area maybe not 100% late at night. We went in the day time.

Central park zoo may be on your list. If not, it's worth considering. If there are puppet shows at the nearby Swedish Cottage marionette shows they are great fun for little people. So are terrapin and duck spotting in the lake.

I second the recommendation for the Brooklyn bridge area. There are some fab playgrounds in the Brooklyn bridge park for kids to run off their surplus energy easily. There are some great pizza places nearby, my favourite is set back by the steps up to the Brooklyn bridge walkway and it's called Front Street. It's in Dumbo, on front Street. 😆. More neighbourhood feel than the tourist ones by the bottom.of the bridge. Very kid friendly.

I would think carefully about times Square. I am not so sure I would wish to take a toddler there, it had been pretty full on, noise, overwhelming crowds etc. Plus a number of those over pushy character dress up folks who want money for pictures. Def not an after dark option with toddlers walking imho.

Main thing I would say is take it slowly. Are you taking a buggy or carrier or is the little one walking?

Edited at 03:27 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

We are just at jfk waiting for our flight to Tampa... have had a great 3 days in NY with my DH and 4 DS (20, 17, 14, 10) who haven't complained too much about all the walking, we have averaged 32000 steps per day! Definitely group attractions together, we all loved doing the harbour lights cruise. Would recommend julianas pizzeria in Brooklyn, not far from the end of Brooklyn bridge. I would avoid times square if you can, we found it to be much too busy. Loved hudson yards and the vessel. Have a great trip!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

I second that with Hudson Yards and the Vessel, did that 2wks ago. Have a great trip.
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Some great tips thank you...

Chelsea and Highline are on our to do list... also the fish carousel in battery park.

Central Park zoo if we have time but thinking we can be in a zoo anywhere maybe and we do have annual passes to Chester Zoo.

We are taking a buggy... so although we are planning time in parks for little one to have a lot of running time he will be in the buggy for any longer walks around the city.

Expecting to do ESB and RC first thing of the morning to avoid Q’s but with New York pass I think we do get fast track on some attractions.

We want to see Times Square of course but likely only going to do this on first night and planning on going Hard Rock. But other than that going to avoid it for the remainder of the time!

Buzz we are there 27th - 1st. Can’t wait.

Coney Island we did cross off our list... not sure why but we do have many things that we plan doing and had to cut it down somehow... also not sure we will make it over to Brooklyn.

Off to check this Hudson Yards...

Also anyone done the intrepid air and sea museum?
Old 20 Oct 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Also just one more thing - in my opinion the Freedom tower is easily the best tower of the three! If you can squeeze that in I would definitely recommend it. Great experience start to finish :-)
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List