Notices

Old 22 Jan 12, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Ear we go, ear we go, ear we go!

OK. It's Saturday night. I am in AGAIN and have withheld the need/desire for a takeaway after work because, as I have explained to the children, "the money I save on not getting a takeaway tonight can go toward an even more delicious meal in Florida". HOW EXCITING. So chicken in wraps with coleslaw it was.

I am relatively new to the DIBB (only put 2 posts on) but feel that I have been looking at it FOREVER! I may even look at it more than certain social networking sites. Thought I'd try a pre-trippie and maybe try and add a photo so I can upload all those luscious food piccies when I come home. Nom nom nom. The "cast"

There is me. Helen (Moosehead is just my husband's pet name for me. He really loves me! ) I am 39 and general organiser of this large trip.

Husband - Kev. I won't tell you my pet name for him on here but I really love him too! He has already reached 40 and like it or not he is soon to be 41. He has been drooling over pictures of dole whips when my back is turned!

DS1 (Think that means Eldest Disney Son?) He is 13 and loves rollercoasters and the Xbox. 2 whole weeks of no trading on FIFA 12 and no joining parties on COD. OMG

DS2 (Think this means 2nd son) He is going to be 11 and in his final year at primary school however, the school have "declined" my request for 2 days off school that he will miss due to flight times. Bizarre, as he is missing 2 days this week for a "speed stacking" competition and a football tournament. I do feel that if he doesn't make it to Oxford or Cambridge then I should be held entirely responsible. To any heads of educational government departments who are reading this I am going anyways. Haven't yet told the secondary school. Don't want to get told off by another headmaster in the space of a week.

Well, I have 4 flights with American Airlines operated by British Airways and I think they are just standard economy. I don't travel outside the UK very much and didn't realise there were different types of Economy now. I am soooo not with it. I have a villa AOA but I am sure it will be beautiful after all I have my own pool for 2 whole weeks! I have an intermediate car which is probably massive and tickets to US/IOA/SW/BG/AQ thanks to one of the advertisers on here.

I have got insurance through Boots and an Eat and Play card. Did think about getting a Kids eat Free card but think they may then be restricted to the kids menu and when they get a little older they tend to broaden their tastes (bigger portions in the adults menu too! ) Probably going to get 7 day MYW tickets via Mrs 0. Have yet to do my ESTA's either - that's a job for next week.

We are going with friends although we have our own villas and we met up last week to go through a "final" plan. I use that term very loosely as it does tend to change but we now have a really good idea of where we want to go on what days - thanks Dibb for your busy day guide. We can let the hardcore rollercoaster junkies do their thing and the bag holders do theirs! Which group are you in?

I went to the gym last week for 2 reasons (1) in preparation for the large amount of walking and (2) the expansion of the waistline which has crept up in me over the festive period. Unfortunately, due to my annual review (last carried out in 2009 ) I am already "moderately fat". I would like to explain to the very nice young muscley trainer boy that I am merely slightly too short for my weight and if indeed I was allowed to be measured in my beautiful 6" Dune heels i would be "normal". Or when I was on his scales if he had only let me lift up me left leg, lean slightly over to the right and close my left eye whilst breathing in then I would have been half a stone lighter. This ALWAYS works on my bathroom scales.

Have tried to include photo but think I need to read a tutorial first. I will be back...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 12, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mouse mess
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 99
Sounds great Helen, I'm going to enjoy this one, I can tell
Mouse mess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 12, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gem67
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Or when I was on his scales if he had only let me lift up me left leg, lean slightly over to the right and close my left eye whilst breathing in then I would have been half a stone lighter. This ALWAYS works on my bathroom scales.

Have tried to include photo but think I need to read a tutorial first. I will be back...
Loved reading this, especially this bit on the scales... I so know what you mean looking forward to reading on about your trip.

LBVR&S Apr23/POFQ Apr22/Apr18/
OKW Apr16/RPR&OKW Aug14/OKW Oct12/AKL Aug 10/RPR&CBR Oct 09/AKL Jul 08/AKL Jul 06/
Residence Inn SW Mar 05/Nikki Bird Apr 03
Gem67 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 12, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
tink3
VIP Dibber

What a great read, DH thinks I am going a little bit crazy as I am sat giggling whilst reading.

Looking forward to reading more.

Even miracles take a little time - The Fairy Godmother

Aug 16-Oak Island Cove/Polynesian/HRH
Oct/Nov 15-Windwood Bay/AKL
May 14-Calabay Park @TL/AKL
Feb/Mar 13-Clear Creek
Aug 11-Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Mar/Apr 11-Calabay Park
Apr 08-Lake Davenport Estates
tink3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 12, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great start, check out restaurant.com for voucher to buy for restaurants, we used a few last year and they were received by servers without a blink of the eye.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 12, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
emwratten
Imagineer

Oh you made me chuckle, looking forward to more.
emwratten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 12, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Love the pre-trippie... I tend to have to alternate between rollercoasters and taking daughter onto tamer rides as shes only 2!
Old 22 Jan 12, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

Really enjoying your report so far. I too have experienced an expanding waisteline over christmas but am waiting to join a gym untill I get my NUS card as it will save me £10 a month (great benefit of doing a part time 12 week module at Uni is I am officailly a student again )
15isto2 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 12, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Excellent! looking forward to reading more, Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 12, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone. As you can see I'm tip tip tapping on my keyboard for a second night in a row. I really do need to get out more but not until at least May! But I'm sure it will be so worth it.

Thought I need to give a bit of background as some other pre-trippies seem to have done it. Have been once before 5 years ago. That only happened 'cos we had to cancel a trip 6 years ago and the travel insurance paid out in full so we put the money down straight away and took another year to save. Thats it really.

Did go to Kefalonia a couple of years ago but I now know that they don't carry out appendectomys on the Island! Only on the mainland which was some 2 ferry rides and 4 hours drive in a ford transit - no sorry, correction it was an ambulance. Thank goodness for the E111. Mental notes to self :-

1) when DS1 complains of stomach ache on 2nd day of all inclusive holiday do not shout at him for eating 5 ice creams and drinking copious amounts of fizzy drink on the 1st afternoon. Automatically assume the worst!

2) Do not have appendix removed on a bank holiday as the Insurance company offices are not open.

3) When travelling All Inclusive take at least £1,000,000 in spending to buy essentials like food, anaesthetic, x-rays etc. The £200 we took for the obligatory boat trip just weren't enough.

4) Plan removal of said useless bodily part no later than 3rd day of 7 day holiday in order to assume return to the hotel on the morning of the afternoon flight.

5) Always take at least 2 mobile phones (serious one this one) We only took one and it was really tricky.

6) Ensure DS1 never forgets and will pay for a trip in the future for his parents. Although, as explained previously he is having to take 2 days off of school so is quite frankly doomed from having any career or success in his adult life. Insurance was rubbishy on this one as only got £75 back. Gotta laugh. Actually,don't make someone laugh who has just had their appendix removed. Can't say enough though about how really lovely the Greek people are. The doctor who gave hubby cash to get boat back and the Greek plumber who gave DH and DS1 the 10 hour lift home. Due to the language barrier, I am led to believe there was a lot of pointing at mountains and making grunting noises on this return trip.

Actually, had to go to ER in America. DS2 this time I knew it was a simple ear infection (bit like I "knew" it was only the ice-cream). Lots of jumping in pool etc. Just needed some good 'ole amoxycillin. Instead we got drips and x-rays and wheelchairs. I did draw the line at him having a suppository. Signed a disclaimer and ran out the door. Still got rather large bill though. INSURANCE IS SORTED ON THIS TRIP. Just remembered too that last time Virgin lost 1 case. Now come on girls we all know to mix up everyone's clothes so if this does happen we got some clothes right? Well, I did but the missing suitcase had ALL of my knickers and swimmers in it. I thought that's fine it will turn up later but we woke up in the morning and still no news of my case! Now we were travelling again with friends (2 lots) and going commando on our first group trip out to Wallmart was not an option so DH first mission was not to see Mickey or have the infamous Dole whip but to find me some pants! And boy did he find some. I don't think the sizes are the same in US and I needed to wear a belt! Ho Hum.

Actually reading this, I really am very lucky to still have friends that will go with us! Only 1 lot this time though LOL. We didn't have a holiday last year except a sneaky weekend in Butlins (with different friends) as we have been saving.

Have been asking the children today what they want to do. We looked through my little book of magic and ticked some bits off and that sent me off with the a little grin. Then to top it all off DS2 said "what do you want to do mum? It's your holiday too". Aaahhh that's my baby. Came down with a massive bump though (literally) when I came up to bed as one of my little "treasures" had left a bloody great spider poking out from underneath the bedroom door! I love my children, I love my children, I love my children is definitely my new mantra for the next 67 days! (and counting) whoop whoop!