theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Talking Easter 2012- Tramps Like Us- Pre trippy- THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

KEEP YOUR GOB SHUT GEORDIE HINNY
PRE TRIPPY

Okay its that time of year again.

50 days before we go.

For the uninitiated / interested among you "We" are..

Irishrover- Bren 40- ish, loves holidays, football and fun, crocked body but mind very willing, very inane sense of humour and has to find something funny in something at least every 10 minutes or I fall asleep.

Irishrover2- Paul 40+++ish, Lives for, Holidays, football & beer, is the irish in irishrover, can be persuaded into most things, but has no sense of humour, which makes him a great stooge.

Georgia (7) beauty of the bunch. Like I have said many times its something to do with two negatives making a positive, don't know how we managed it as neither of us are strangers to the fugly bush, but Georgia on the other hand constantly has complete strangers telling her how beautiful/pretty/model material she is.
Sadly she is very uninterested in making us pots of money as a model and prefers to spend our money on furry animals, moshi monsters and twirl bites.

This will be our, errrm , not quite sure how many times trip. I think it may be 12 but that dosnt include 5 disney cruises. Ooops .

Fair to say we have been very lucky over the last 7yrs to have been able to do all this, and appreciate every single moment. We have lost ALOT of people very young in our family and we really do live in the moment as much as we can.

So there you go serious bit over, now onto the story.

HERE IS US- all ready to go to Farmfoods for our weekly shop...

It hit me one gloomy day in november 2011.

After being on a disney holiday that previous Easter, and three disney cruises, last one the transatlantic which included a visit to disney, (all in the space of 7 months) Georgia (6) came out with this statement.

"When are we going on holiday? Its been ages man"

(No she isn't a new age hippy, she's a geordie)

Now no matter how I tried to justify that 6 weeks is AGES to a 6 yr old I couldn't help but feel the need to give her the - "you spoilt rotten little brat" speech.

So I did. Told her all the usual stuff how I lived in a hole in the road at her age and the furthest I ever got was south shields beach, ate lard outve the frying pan, ect ect. In the middle of my rant I looked up to see her doing the "yadda yadda face" - the sideways noddy head mouth opening and shutting in time to my sad & sorry tale.

The ultra violet mist descended pretty quickly and I blurted out- Right that is IT ! No more holidays for you madam, never, EVER , EVER !
Did she crumble? Did she cry scream and kick? No, she said- "Well daddy will take me"
Think Verucca Salt from Willy Wonka, and you're close.

Before I could get my dodgy back up off the couch she had beaten me into where Paul was working and was regaling the tale with great dramatic flourish, The Extra Tears and Profound Hurt Special Edition HD.

…and as I got to the door I heard his dulcet irish tones saying " no honey, of course we are going to Florida, we are going next easter, so thats not that long after xmas, now what do you want for a xmas? A rolex? A pony ? Maybe a small aston martin and a chauffeur? Please don't cry…."

Well I am exaggerating about the xmas presents, but you get the gist.

And so the fight started….

[The bit I missed out is that Georgias spoilt brat mum & dad (us) had already booked flights for florida, for Easter 2012,

BUT

and as you can see its a very big but

We booked with Thomas Cook.
Typically in our "luck of the irish" style, we had booked less than a week before they decided to let us all know they are on the bones of their bottoms, they have no money, so we have the flights, (maybe, maybe not, ) that of course will be the cliff hanger right up until the day we go.]

More on the flights that mightnt fly later.

After the dust had settled and Georgia left in a state of confusion ~ I of course telling her that her father has a hole in his head where his brain should be, which started off more tears.

Badparent.com

So between Paul & I, we agreed we would indeed be going to Florida (flights permitting) but we wouldn't take , , oops! Of course I mean tell Georgia. Try and get her to appreciate the simple things more, not have high expectations-basically not be a brat.
Goodparent.com

So the party line was, " No we don't think we can go to florida anytime soon, we have to save up all our pennies, and you do too."
Surprisingly there was no more tantrums, just a semi shocked look on her face, and a promise to save up her £3 pocket money until she had enough for us all to go.

Well time passed. Our first grandchild was born, and Xmas came and went, and then we were sliding into February at a high speed. Georgia had kept her word, no asking for moshi monster tat, or build-a -bears and popping her pound coins into her tin, occasionally counting it up and asking " Have we got enough yet?"

Paul , needless to say lets the secret slip EVERY time he's had more than 3 pints.

The man has a goldfish memory.

Every time it happens I have an explosive cough and splutter and have to throw the nearest object at him. Georgia thinks I have a new exotic disease which I have called "Freakinshurrupyahole"

February 14th arrived , which was Georgias 7th birthday.

Spending Valentines Night with 30 7yr olds trying to organise them into some sort of party games, left a lot to be desired believe me. I was very tempted to get the duct tape out again but settled on the old loo roll games…

Alot of fun was had and she got lots of presents and £s of friends & family which made their way into her "florida fund" tin.
With the exception of £16 of it which was spent on her favourite present …. PEG.

After buying this in the Disney shop she got herself into a little morose mood, saying how sad she was that we weren't going to Disneyworld this year. I reminded her she was saving up and she said, how much does it cost mum?
I said quite a lot georgia
ok how much is quite a lot?
Well, a lot more than Peg cost.
how much more?

Really really a lot more,
More than Peg and Lady?
Yes
And the Tramp?
Yes Georgia
More than all the toys on the that wall.?
Ermmm (quick count up)
Yes lots more.

Shocked
&
Stunned
Silence
from
Lil' Red

So exactly how many birthdays do I have to have before I have enough money?

At which point the saleswoman, faffing about needlessly straightening clothes on a rail nearby, but obviously listening our conversation (who for the benefit of the story we will call Winnie) butted in, in a very helpful un-disney-esque way-
Winnie-
" You'll be as old as me before you can save enough to go there, hahahaha, JUST JOKING"

(now as a little aside that phrase "just joking" added on to some smarmy, clever or smart comment, is in my eyes lower than a rattlesnakes belly button. It is a sure sign the person is NOT joking at all just being a nasty witch)

Georgia- Is that true mam?

Winnie- trying to stifle her wicked witch chortle.

It must have given her, her warm fuzzy feeling of the day, popping a kids bubble, and not even 11am yet. Loving your work Winnie.

Would like to have popped her bottom lip for her, but instead said,

"Arrrgh no Georgia of course not, When we are as old THAT lady we'll go to Brittle Bones Bay, hahahaha JUST JOKING"

Anyway

So Back to the plan.

The plan is- after a bit of necessary shuffling (paul having gave me the wrong initial dates) well theres a surprise

We had to buy more flights that were cheaper than the original ones but in fact cost us an extra couple of hundred just to change them, ( grrrrr how do they get away with that? )

Driving to Manchester staying in the Radisson, just love the little walk to the terminal, its the only calming thing about our departure usually.

(Before reading the next bit in order we are not jinxed please make sure you're fingers are crossed , turn around three times and blink twice,and wish that Tommy Cook will be able to buy the petrol to get us there with his Wonga loan money. If you don't and our flights are non existent I will KNOW who let me down and I will track you down and kill you.)

Then flying from Manchester into Sanford in the teeny tiny seats that Tommy provides, along with fuzzy tv screens and a bag of sandwiches as Paul is too tight to pay for the in flight meals.
Well tbh, thats a bit of an oxymoron, they're hardly meals anyway even if you are used to eating matchstick box sized containers full of gunk, I don't think they are worth £20 each or whatever they were charging.
Im not moaning here, just been reading too many forums.
In fact Im looking forward to the challenge, and to unfolding myself from the origami toad position I will have been sitting in for the last 10 hours, when we hit the tarmac of sanford airport, and breathe in that lovely florida air.

Once there we'll be-

Hiring a teeny tiny car with almo AP discount.

Checking into the Boardwalk where we will stay for 9 nights in a 1 bedroom , (just NEED the jacuzzi bath)

Moving to Wilderness Lodge for the last 5 nights in a 1 bedroom (never been there but looking forward to it, especially the boat ride to MK)

In between that, Bruce Springsteen kindly announced some concerts in the USA while we will be there (sadly not Tampa) but we MAY depending on ticket availability fly up to a concert stay overnight.
Georgia will not be best pleased so there will be some amount of bribery included in this deal. She dosnt mind Bruce Springsteen but would prefer Katy Perry. - Say No More.

However due to my Boss obsession she does know all the words to "Thunder Road" and usually can be heard wailing along to it in the car, especially the line "you aint a beauty but hey you're alright" which will stand her in good stead for her teenage years in Newcastle city centre pubs, (one of the nicer chat up lines around here, along with - "you don't sweat much for a fat lass")

We have the annual pass so will be flitting in and out of the disney parks at leisure, and have a few ideas of for things we haven't done before. Some ADRS have been made, and lots of plans laid very lightly as we never EVER follow anything religiously (except of course out beloved Newcastle Utd)

We also have had a few ideas of how to break the news to Georgia including all the usual, treasure hunts, letters on the fridge ect ect, but are trying to think of something a bit more unusual.

So now we sit and wait for the inevitable disasters that will befall us before take off time. Whether it be flights going belly up (not literally hopefully) the child getting some infectious disease, Paul realising he has forgot to put his holidays in, I don't know. But I do know we are set for some shenanigans.

Brace yourself , it might be a jiggerty ride.

Edited at 03:39 PM.
Irishrover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Fab pre trip report, I love yur trippies and your daughter is adorable!
Old 17 Feb 12, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post

So thats what you been doing for the last few hours...
was wondering what was going on with ya heed in the puter !

cant wait...

next line of this tripper will be... after checking in irishrover2 heads onto the boardwalk to ESPN for a bud lite lime,
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Brilliant start! looking forward to seeing how it all pans out!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Loving the fact we've got one of your reports to look forward to! x
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Oh Bren cant wait for your reports, they're my favourites.

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Fantastic! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Hiya Bren and family, you don't half know how to make me laugh, thank you for cheering me up this evening.

I just love your trip reports, my favourites on the Dibb.

Everyone is correct Georgia is beautiful, you are a beautiful family, and look lovely in the photo too.

Did you manage to get a camcorder sorted for your holiday?

50 days will be here before you know it!

Looking forward to hearing more of your plans. Take care xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishrover
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sarahewoods View Post
Hiya Bren and family, you don't half know how to make me laugh, thank you for cheering me up this evening.

Did you manage to get a camcorder sorted for your holiday?
arghh thanks Sarah x

We havent sorted out any camcorder yet , boiler just broke today so we might stick with the flip... lol

Thanks people for reading, but not YOU PAUL ! :angry:

Irishrover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 12, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
You are more than welcome to use ours, its not HD, but gives decent quality. it does not require sd cards, as it holds 80gb. xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List