Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 16, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Thank you MrsBB, again, have a smashing holiday girl, I hope this injury doesn't impinge too much
Fingers crossed! Maybe it might mean a few more pool days and that means cocktails, not all bad!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Airport assistance at MCO are excellent - used for several years now for my mum.
Definitely consider a scooter - this year my mum hired a much smaller portable one which was able to come apart very easily and went in the back our our SUV.
We hire with Apple every year - they charge your card the day hire starts.

Edited at 06:06 PM.
Teach0778 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by hazel.searle View Post
Airport assistance at MCO are excellent - used for several years now for my mum.
Definitely consider a scooter - this year my mum hired a much smaller portable one which was able to come apart very easily and went in the back our our SUV.
Hi Hazel,

Thank you for this. Really good advice. There is an airport assistance form on the Thomas Cook website - do you book this twice or if you have it outbound do you get it automatically on your inbound flight?
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Hi,
As long as you book it with Thomas Cook it will be available at both airports there and back. I have always found the guys at MCO to be super helpful. This year the guy helping my mum and I took us all the way to our hire car and even helped me choose a car and load my luggage!
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi, I tore my ACL last year three weeks before I flew to Turkey! I was with easy jet but still had assistance (it's part of the airport rather than air line) and my crutches came on bored and just went up in the over head locker. I'm sure with PE you'll be fine but worth ringing up the airline to make sure you have an aisle seat as I found that was better if I needed to stretch my leg (it was still fairly painful to bend!). My best advice with a knee injury and flying is to move around! I know it will be difficult but I went to the loo every hour even if I didn't need it. My knee swelled a lot and got quite stiff so moving it helped so much!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by hazel.searle View Post
Hi,
As long as you book it with Thomas Cook it will be available at both airports there and back. I have always found the guys at MCO to be super helpful. This year the guy helping my mum and I took us all the way to our hire car and even helped me choose a car and load my luggage!

This is so helpful, thank you so much! I have now submitted my assistance form even though I feel bad as I can walk a little, just not very far - the thought of the airport is very daunting

Its reassuring to know they are so helpful.
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
Hi, I tore my ACL last year three weeks before I flew to Turkey! I was with easy jet but still had assistance (it's part of the airport rather than air line) and my crutches came on bored and just went up in the over head locker. I'm sure with PE you'll be fine but worth ringing up the airline to make sure you have an aisle seat as I found that was better if I needed to stretch my leg (it was still fairly painful to bend!). My best advice with a knee injury and flying is to move around! I know it will be difficult but I went to the loo every hour even if I didn't need it. My knee swelled a lot and got quite stiff so moving it helped so much!
Thank you. Did you need a note about your crutches or anything? I was worried about security but doctor said it was fine. I'm also worried if I have wheelchair assistance in the airport what I do with my crutches though I guess hubby can manage with those. We have booked a window and an aisle so we should be okay.

I have some instant ice packs but they are liquid (freeze with chemical reaction) that I thought would be good for the flight, but I don't think I'd get them through with them being liquid.

I am worrying about the sitting and will need to move a lot as it gets ever so stiff.
Old 11 Aug 16, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
Hi. Just to reassure you. I have limited mobility due to arthritis & several artificial joints but I managed a 3 week holiday on my own. Porters are very helpful as previous posters have said. I usually tip $10:20 depending on time taken.
I was staying offsite so the only issue I had was walking from the car park (handicapped section) to the wheelchair hire shops. I only went to MK once as that has the longest transit time. I couldn't hire long term as I can't lift much.
Have you considered getting a visitors handicapped permit? There's a sticky on here giving instructions. It's very easy to do & would help at the malls?

You mentioned ice packs. Can you use heat packs on this type of injury? I use them on my back & knees when travelling & find they really help but maybe that's just for arthritis?

Hope this helps & you have a great holiday!
disneywiseowl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Hi. Just to reassure you. I have limited mobility due to arthritis & several artificial joints but I managed a 3 week holiday on my own. Porters are very helpful as previous posters have said. I usually tip $10:20 depending on time taken.
I was staying offsite so the only issue I had was walking from the car park (handicapped section) to the wheelchair hire shops. I only went to MK once as that has the longest transit time. I couldn't hire long term as I can't lift much.
Have you considered getting a visitors handicapped permit? There's a sticky on here giving instructions. It's very easy to do & would help at the malls?

You mentioned ice packs. Can you use heat packs on this type of injury? I use them on my back & knees when travelling & find they really help but maybe that's just for arthritis?

Hope this helps & you have a great holiday!

As, thank you - this is reassuring to hear and am sure I am working myself up over nothing. As you say you manage alone which is amazing, and I'll have my hubby to help.

I didn't think of the heat packs, I used the ice when my knee swells as I walk so might have to ask my physio about the heat. Maybe it would help with stiffness etc? And I would be able to get these through security.

Thanks for info re- the badge.
Old 14 Aug 16, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsBB View Post
Thank you. Did you need a note about your crutches or anything? I was worried about security but doctor said it was fine. I'm also worried if I have wheelchair assistance in the airport what I do with my crutches though I guess hubby can manage with those. We have booked a window and an aisle so we should be okay.

I have some instant ice packs but they are liquid (freeze with chemical reaction) that I thought would be good for the flight, but I don't think I'd get them through with them being liquid.

I am worrying about the sitting and will need to move a lot as it gets ever so stiff.
Hi! I didn't need a note about my crutches. They just put them through
Scanners like everything else and didn't even bat an eyelid. I've also seen on some of the airport wheelchairs especially they have a little holder to put your crutches! I did take ice packs with me but didn't take them onto the plane (mainly because of liquids.) you could take a plastic bag with you on the plane and if you need to ice just put ice in it and put that on. I think you will be fine as long as you move around and just keep it warm.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread