Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Jul 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Indeed it is but no form to tick a box now though. The Immigration Officer will always say "You can get that stuff here sir" when we declare instant coffee.

Mick
Mick are you saying you don't tick the box for food but tell the IF that you have coffee ? is the coffee in hand or hold luggage ? have never taken coffee before but after searching high and low for a mild instant coffee last year and not finding one I'm going to take my own 😊
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
Mick are you saying you don't tick the box for food but tell the IF that you have coffee ? is the coffee in hand or hold luggage ? have never taken coffee before but after searching high and low for a mild instant coffee last year and not finding one I'm going to take my own 😊

We haven't been given the customs forms to fill in for maybe three trips and the automated kiosks disappeared from MCO sometime between April 18 and Nov 18.

You now go straight to the immigration officer who'll probably ask if you have food. Doesn't matter if it's in hold or cabin luggage and he/she will invariably say "You can get that stuff here"

Mick

Edited at 11:34 AM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

We haven't been given the customs forms to fill in for maybe three trips and the automated kiosks disappeared from MCO sometime between April 18 and Nov 18.

You now go straight to the immigration officer who'll probably ask if you have food. Doesn't matter if it's in hold or cabin luggage and he/she will invariably say "You can get that stuff here"

Mick
Thanks Mick , I just had visions of them wanting to check your baggage , not ideal when you are on connecting flights .
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thanks Mick , I just had visions of them wanting to check your baggage , not ideal when you are on connecting flights .

Linda

Totally forgot you were indirect. Ignore everything I said about customs forms and kiosks as you'll arrive as a domestic into MCO

Mick
Old 4 Jul 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Linda

Totally forgot you were indirect. Ignore everything I said about customs forms and kiosks as you'll arrive as a domestic into MCO

Mick
But won't it be the same arriving at JFK ? I know we will go straight through from JFK to Miami but we will hit immigration at JFK
Old 4 Jul 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
But won't it be the same arriving at JFK ? I know we will go straight through from JFK to Miami but we will hit immigration at JFK
Linda

We've flown out of JFK but not into it. They may even have kiosks there and you may still be given customs forms flying to there. To be on the safe side I'd still say "yes" to food whether it's a form, a kiosk or just the IO asking - then you're safe. We always pack our coffee in the checked luggage.

Mick
Old 4 Jul 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

as long as you can eat it, you must declare it.
it doesn't matter if you do it on a form, a kiosk, or by telepathy (even though the latter is quite underdevelopped in most airports, lol, kidding)

you might be given a customs form on the plane. The crew might tell you you don't need it, but if they hand it out, take one, fill it, and if you don't need it ... well ... you don't need it

I always prefer to fill the form in, just in case the kiosks are out. One year in ATL, there was panic among some passengers around us in the immigration queue, because we were all sent to the regular line (where you need the form) and we were the only one who had chosen to take the form on the plane ... the other passengers did not know when, where and how to get that. Eventually, there were forms handed out at the end of the line, but, people needing to fill those in with the IO ... you can imagine how painful the line was

now, that was a few years ago. since then we always have the form, even though kiosks were operating (admittedly I crashed our kiosk at MIA last year ... but I had my form ... hey ... lol)

with the form, or with the automated kiosk receipt, you'll see an IO no matter what. They might question about having food or the purpose of your trip
then you'll need to collect your bags at JFK, go through Customs with your luggage (carry on and hold luggage) and that's where they might pull you to the side to search your cases if you have declared food (even though, they probably won't bother)

then recheck luggage right after customs, in the connecting flights area, then through security, then to your next terminal and gate

but, most important, declare or don't bring with you
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Re:JFK

We flew in to JFK last August and used the machines. We were not given customs forms to complete

Edit: Just for clarification, no forms were given out even though some people used machines whilst others queued for immigration officers.

Edited at 01:43 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Linda

We've flown out of JFK but not into it. They may even have kiosks there and you may still be given customs forms flying to there. To be on the safe side I'd still say "yes" to food whether it's a form, a kiosk or just the IO asking - then you're safe. We always pack our coffee in the checked luggage.

Mick
Thanks Mick , anyone would think I’m new to all this , I keep second doubting myself , must be a gadgey thing 😂
Old 4 Jul 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Re:JFK

We flew in to JFK last August and used the machines. We were not given customs forms to complete

Edit: Just for clarification, no forms were given out even though some people used machines whilst others queued for immigration officers.
Thanks for that , have used the machines before and it was a pain , six in our party , three got straight through, the other three got a big ✖️ and were directed to immigration 🙄 . I hate the machines as I’m never sure what I’m supposed to be doing and end up in a flap 😳 luckily our daughter is on hand to assist 😊