Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Jul 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
boomie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We tend to go at the end of August and we love it! It is noticeably quieter however last year they brought the dates forward for food and wine. Epcot was ridiculously busy. I believe it starts on August 29th this year.
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge - Dec 2017
Disney Dream Cruise & Disney's Boardwalk 2018
boomie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

I was wondering the same thing! We are going on 5th aug 2020 for 3 weeks, dreading the queues lol we are staying onsite so we can get our fp’s sorted I’m sure it will be ok
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Hodders
Very Serious Dibber

I’m sure someone quoted on here before that August is like living in Satan’s ≈≈≈≈ crack, you will sweat from places you didn’t think it was possible to sweat from.

However, to fit 2 weeks in and not miss school there is only summer hols or Easter and I would never go Easter due to the crowds.

We didn’t find the crowds too bad but went the last few weeks of August. You can find some of my trip reports, but Universal was dead and we seemed to be done within a few hours.
Hodders is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We’ve been here a week now. Tuesday in magic kingdom was horrendous and I was starting to question why we were here, but we’ve had great days since then and just returned from A superb morning in magic kingdom. We did 8 rides one after the other. No waiting. I had three fastpasses booked for 9/10/11 but was able to move them forward as soon as we tapped in so we had done all three within an hour or so. Then I kept picking up new ones that were within 5 minutes of us getting off the current ride.

We did
Big thunder (fp)
Splash (5 min standby)
Pirates (fastpass)
Watched the castle show
Buzz Lightyear (fp)
Carousel of progress (walk-in)
Goofys barnstormer (fp)
Ariel under the sea (fp)
Haunted mansion (fp)

This was between 9:15 and about 1:30

Then we came away but there were still rides available.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Lozzi
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Third August for us next year, we have done other times of the year and whilst the heat is a pain you do get use to it.

Crowd wise we have always found it similar to the other times we went in April, May and October.

Few years ago we were there when a hurricane hit in August, we just made sure we had ponchos every day and used them when required, or as in the day it hit we were in a lovey bar in AK.
Lozzi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

We have done two August trips now and will be returning next year. First trip we were off-site but I managed to get all rides (including 7 Dwarves) at 30 days. There was no Pandora or Toy Story Land then though.
Keep trying for popular rides, even whilst there, things sometimes pop up.

We have experienced brief showers and rain that lasted all afternoon and evening. You will get used to the heat but pace yourselves. Drink loads and wear a cap/hat.
You’ll have a great time.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Whilst getting FoP, SDD, 7DMT and ToT can be difficult if off-site we found pretty much everything else bookable on the day. We followed the advice of doing our first FP and then moving our others forward as soon as we were tapped in. Repeated the process on our second FP and then immediately after tapping in for our 3rd FP we would book the next one. After booking it you can keep refreshing availability and keep moving it forward until you get a time you want.

On one day we did 15 FPs. Only joined the standby line for 7DMT but that was because we had a breakfast booking at BoG and got on before general park opening.
I did this constantly whilst there at the park and the only one I managed was a fastpass for Space Mountain, which was then down for the 3 times we went to it.
As I said, it’s not really an option anymore for people wanting 1 or 2 days at a park. It’s a shame but we will be sticking with Universal for future visits.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We’ve been here a week now. Tuesday in magic kingdom was horrendous and I was starting to question why we were here, but we’ve had great days since then and just returned from A superb morning in magic kingdom. We did 8 rides one after the other. No waiting. I had three fastpasses booked for 9/10/11 but was able to move them forward as soon as we tapped in so we had done all three within an hour or so. Then I kept picking up new ones that were within 5 minutes of us getting off the current ride.

We did
Big thunder (fp)
Splash (5 min standby)
Pirates (fastpass)
Watched the castle show
Buzz Lightyear (fp)
Carousel of progress (walk-in)
Goofys barnstormer (fp)
Ariel under the sea (fp)
Haunted mansion (fp)

This was between 9:15 and about 1:30

Then we came away but there were still rides available.
This is what I was hoping for, Thursday was horrendous for us and we don’t have time to return now.
Good that you had a good second visit😄👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
I did this constantly whilst there at the park and the only one I managed was a fastpass for Space Mountain, which was then down for the 3 times we went to it.
As I said, it’s not really an option anymore for people wanting 1 or 2 days at a park. It’s a shame but we will be sticking with Universal for future visits.
That's a shame. We managed to get loads of FPs each time at MK. The only one I never saw available was 7DMT but everything else popped up at some point or other and with judicial use of the refresh I could usually move them all to reasonable times too. You really do need to keep checking it's no good looking every 5 or 10 minutes (not that I'm suggesting that's what you were doing).

I have to say though that if you don't have a FP then the standby queues are ridiculous.
Old 28 Jul 19, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
madmax250
Looking for my Ears

Went year before last. Only did one day in magic kingdom (paid on gate) did fast passes soon as we arrived 9.30ish and booked FP's got late afternoon. You'll be fine.
madmax250 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List