Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Aug 10, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TR_Wolf View Post
No. The fact that taxpayers have to pay the estimated £20 million cost for him to visit isn't anything I'm happy about. He should pay his own way.

Plus this is a man who, aside from being in the Nazi Youth, said that abortion and homosexuality were "among some of the most insidious and dangerous challenges facing the common good today,". That refers to me, my partner, and many of my friends as well as many GOOD people in the world who might've led incredibly virtuous lives, donated to charity, done voluntary work, been doctors or vets, or surgeons, and helped little old ladies across the street but who happen to be gay.

I will not ever celebrate someone who is so full of hatred for people and who spouts hate against people of different sexualities and religions, then has the gall to charge US for him to visit, especially when he and the thousands of people surround him live in such wealth and opulence.

So no, I shan't be going.

Rant over.
i totally agree with this but each to his or her own and i hope you have a good day
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm not religious so this visit has no significance for me whatsoever. I'm realistic enough to recognise he is viewed as a figurehead by Roman Catholics. However, I do feel that some of the security costs involved should be paid by the R C church. I feel that about any visiting dignitary's costs - even Obama!

Edited at 12:44 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
roodlesnouter
Very Serious Dibber

No. The fact that taxpayers have to pay the estimated £20 million cost for him to visit isn't anything I'm happy about. He should pay his own way.

Plus this is a man who, aside from being in the Nazi Youth, said that abortion and homosexuality were "among some of the most insidious and dangerous challenges facing the common good today,". That refers to me, my partner, and many of my friends as well as many GOOD people in the world who might've led incredibly virtuous lives, donated to charity, done voluntary work, been doctors or vets, or surgeons, and helped little old ladies across the street but who happen to be gay.

I will not ever celebrate someone who is so full of hatred for people and who spouts hate against people of different sexualities and religions, then has the gall to charge US for him to visit, especially when he and the thousands of people surround him live in such wealth and opulence.

Rant over.
Here Here
Hotels Uni CBBR x3, RPR x2, HRH
DVC Since 2011
roodlesnouter is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Rant over.
Personally I couldn't agree more but my in-laws will no doubt be going and I hope everyone who does go enjoys it.
Old 10 Aug 10, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

Rant over.
Well said Adam. Also as an atheist I would not be attending...and yet as UK tax payer I have to pay for it... and the catholic church has billions in its coffers... doesn't seem right to me!
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
amizzle
Being a bit Goofy

amizzle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I am aware and respectful of his importance within the Catholic church and its worshippers, however I am not religious in the slightest so I won't be visiting him.

I hope that everyone who is has a great day though.
by only me is your doing, my darling)
amizzle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
babybelle
Apprentice Imagineer

babybelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I am not going however have some degree of involvement in aspects of the visit to Scotland and, for info only, many of the costs ARE being passed onto the catholic church locally.

Hopefully this will put peoples mind at ease a little more over the potential costs to the taxpayer.

As a lapsed catholic, I agree with many of TRWolf's views. But at the same time I also think that the catholic church has the right to maintain many of its tenets over things such as birth control/promiscuity. Not saying I totally agree with them but if that is their principles then they have a right to hold them.
1993 - Comfort Suites, Kissimmee;1994 - Howard Johnson Foutain Park, Kissimmee;1998 - Four Points Sheraton, Kissimmee;2003 - Vistana Villages & Wedding - Cypress Grove; 2006 - Springhill Suites; 2007 - private villa; 2009 - 3 weeks for Christmas in Orlando; 2014 - Beach Club Villas
babybelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Not going in scotland, but a few of my friends are going and they are looking forward to it. I've not felt any connection to this pope, and have joked with friends that he's not the 'real pope' as we all associate that with JPII.

Hope all have a great time
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Hope you have a great day.
As far as the cost is concerned... I heard on the radio last night that Church is picking up a percentage of the cost... It is no different to when Queen Elizabeth visits other countries, the tab is picked up by the country she is visiting.
If it brings comfort to those who attend then I'm sure it is worth it. We all seek comfort in different ways ( I just prefer my comfort in the form of a large cake with a cherry on to )
I remember the visit of Pope John Paul II it caused a great deal of upset for people my age because we didn't get a day off school ( ND ) but all the kids from the RC schools got a day off to go to Bellahouston Park! Religion and costs and politics were irrelevant... THEY got a day off school lol
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by purple myra View Post
Hope you have a great day.
As far as the cost is concerned... I heard on the radio last night that Church is picking up a percentage of the cost... It is no different to when Queen Elizabeth visits other countries, the tab is picked up by the country she is visiting.
If it brings comfort to those who attend then I'm sure it is worth it. We all seek comfort in different ways ( I just prefer my comfort in the form of a large cake with a cherry on to )
I remember the visit of Pope John Paul II it caused a great deal of upset for people my age because we didn't get a day off school ( ND ) but all the kids from the RC schools got a day off to go to Bellahouston Park! Religion and costs and politics were irrelevant... THEY got a day off school lol
I went to school in hamilton, most of my class visited Bellahouston park, I didnt want to go so I allowed myself the day off, next day the teacher asked where I was as she knew I wasnt on the list to go and those were the only kids that were excused from school to go to Bellahouston, I got into trouble for "doggin" school

To the op, have a lovely day