VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
The Dibb made me do it - Day 11 Animal Kingdom

We start the day of quietly, we are all in need of a bit of a rest. Eventually, everyone is up and breakfasted and we are going to Disney Springs to meet my friend. She’s also over here, so we are meeting for ice cream in Ghiradelli’s, We get there quite quickly, as there isn’t too much traffic, and are quickly parked in the Lime Garage. I don’t think the garages are very attractive, but they are much easier than the old car park, and its nice to be parked in the shade.
Ghiradelli’s is still very quiet, so we get a nice table outside, and meet up with my friend. She has her husband and son with them, and her son is very cute. He is really taken with Molly and spends the next hour or so chatting her up (he’s 6!). They have never met before but they all get on really well, its very sweet. Katie and I shared this lovely sundae
and Molly had a mint sundae

Phil had a shake which I have neglected to photograph. It maybe on someone elses phone – we have 4 phones and 2 cameras with us, trying to get all the photos in one place is interesting!
We have been to Ghiradelli before and always had proper glass dishes or plates, so I was a bit unimpressed with the cups and thought they sundaes looked smaller, but they were still huge, so have no fear.
We sat and chatted with our friends for an hour or so, but it was starting to get very very hot where we were sitting, so we said our goodbyes, they were headed to the Lego Shop, but my girls (well one particular girl) really wanted to go dress shopping. Katie had seen the Dress Shop online before we came out, and was very keen to buy herself a dress. She’d tried on the Tiki Room dress last week but it was too big, so we were hoping for a delivery. We went in, and there were only a few Tiki Room dresses left, and it appeared they weren’t expecting anymore. They said they had had the delivery in April and hadn’t got anymore since. She was a bit disappointed, but we had a good look at the other dresses, and she tried a few on. She hadn’t tried the Its a Small World dress on the first time, but decided to try it today, and she really liked it. It was very cute, and a bit more ‘everyday’, so she will be able to wear it more often. The straps are a little long so we will need to shorten them when we get home, but it’s not a big problem.
She bought her dress, which came in a lovely garment bag, and she got DVC discount so it was I think $65 which was a lot less than she had budgeted for a dress, so she was really pleased.

We spent quite a while in the big Disney shop, I wanted a new hat, Molly needed some sunglasses, and I was interested in the Vera Bradley bags, (not that I am likely to buy one, but I wanted a look), they seem to have been discontinued though, we couldn’t find them anywhere.
We had a fastpass in Animal Kingdom that was completely unchangable, so we had to leave Disney Springs about 2 and dash over there. I was hot – way too hot before we even got into Animal Kingdom.

We got to the park about 2, and headed straight for Pandora, it looks fabulous.

We had a walk around, looking at it all, but I was really struggling with the heat so after we’d checked out the air conditioned shop, we decided to eat in the air conditioned restaurant. We went into the new place called Satu’li Canteen – I think this is my new favourite quick service. We had a beef bowl and a chicken bowl, you use your meat, your “base”, we had potato hash for one, and grains and rice for the other, and then a sauce. We weren’t too sure about the sauces so had them on the side but they were both delicious.
I took some bad photographs. I’d brought my big camera out as we were going to Pandora, but you can’t just snap with it or you get out of focus photos!

These were both delicious and I definitely want to go back again. It’s a quick service but you get real bowls etc, and they have people clearing the tables, so it’s a bit nicer than a typical quick service.
After something to eat, and drink I was feeling better, and it was time for our Flights of Passage fastpass. These are hard to get, so I wasn’t going to miss it. The wait time was 120 minutes, but we got to walk straight in, there was a very very short wait just before we boarded our flight, but it was very quick.
While we were boarding, they took 2 guests from what appeared to be a single rider queue – if there is a single rider queue then I’d recommend it, as it’s a superb ride, but 2 hours is a crazy wait time. And we saw people still joining the queue so it was only going to get longer.
The ride is just amazing, I was a bit nervous as I really didn’t know what to expect. And I was worried about the ride vehicle. Which looks a bit like a motorbike, you sit on it, and then a ‘clamp’ goes on your back and your legs, they are secure but not uncomfortably tight. Once the ride starts, it’s amazing, it really feels like you are flying. It’s very much like Soarin’ but just so much more. You are riding on the back of a banshee, and you can actually feel it breathing. I don’t want to say too much as a lot of people haven’t ridden yet, but it really was that good.
We got of the ride, and we were buzzing, it was so good. We walked down into the shop and had a little browse and then out back into the heat. I think it was the hottest day we’ve had so far. I wanted to do the river ride as well but that was over an hours wait, so I wasn’t up for that, so we left the Pandora area, and did Tough to be a Bug, not the world’s greatest attraction, but it had a 10 minute wait! It has air conditioning. And seats. It was looking like a winner!
After tough to be a bug, we needed another cool attraction, and so we walked over to the Lion King show. We were in the Lion section, we are nearly always late and end up giraffes, so this was new for us. The show is always great, but I’ve seen it often and always compare the cast to the first cast we saw (who seemed to be around for quite a few years).

After the Lion King, we had fast passes for Expedition Everest. I’ve ridden this a few times, but I was not feeling up to it today, so I took the bags and got an ice cream while Katie and Molly went for a ride. When they came back, Molly wanted to ride again, but Katie didn’t, so she took my fastpass and Phil and Molly rode a second time.

Molly is much more of a thrill rider than the rest of us, as you can probably tell from the photos. It’s a shame as she doesn’t like to ride alone but there are some rides the rest of us just don’t want to do…
After Everest, I’m a bit flummoxed. It’s 6pm, we have fast passes for the Rivers of Light show for 8:30, and there doesn’t really seem to be much to do between now and then. No more Nemo shows for the evening, we’ve seen Lion King (we should have done Nemo earlier as Lion King is on into the evening but we didn’t think it through), a few rides with over an hours wait. We have a bit of a debate, and decide to call it a day. Hopefully we will get back to Rivers of Light later in the holiday.
We have driven to the park, so we get the tram back and find the car. Apparantly it’s 107 inside… No wonder I was feeling the heat…
We make it back to the room, an collapse for a little while, and then we reheat our meals from Olive Garden. They were very nice, but each has to go in the microwave individually, so we don’t actually manage to eat all at the same time. I think the girls watched a film, you can borrow films from the ‘community hall’, so Molly has been borrowing a Disney film each evening
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Ak always seems hotter than other parks. Ghiradelli looks yummy as usual.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great day! Can't wait to see Pandora, looks and sounds amazing! Love the sundaes at Ghiradelli, but can never finish them

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sounds a fab day even with the extreme heat. I always find AK a very hot and humid park
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

We always feel the heat in AK too. I've tried to plan our clothes accordingly this year, or cool off on Kali!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Fab day, the ice creams look lush. Pleased Katie got her dress. I can't wait to see all things Pandora, I have a bit of a wait still! I'm starting to panic about the heat now, we've only ever been in May and October.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Those ice cream sundaes look so good Glad Katie managed to get a dress she liked, even if it wasn't her first choice. It looks really cute in the picture.

Flight of Passage sounds fab, can't wait to try it out in October. What a hot day today, it drains your energy so you did well to spend the whole afternoon there.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Lovely day, Pandora sounds amazing. And Ghiradelli is never a bad idea.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 17, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Nice to meet up with friends. Animal Kingdom is fab but oh the heat sounds a bit unbearable.