Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Aug 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Well, here in Scotland it is results day and our boy did fantastically well - we are SOOO proud!

He got 3 grade As at Advanced Higher! - Chemistry, Physics and Biology!

That means he is going to be a Doctor!
I literally could NOT be any prouder!

He starts at his dream uni - The University of Saint Andrews next month.

Glad that wait is over

The very BEST of luck to everyone else waiting! XXXX
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mousefan
Apprentice Imagineer

Fantastic results. Well done to your son, Cloverlady.
mousefan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Well, here in Scotland it is results day and our boy did fantastically well - we are SOOO proud!

Glad that wait is over

Oh wow! Fantastic, a huge well done to him, you must be incredibly proud. The relief is immense isn't it, we were exactly the same last year. I hope you are all having a lovely celebration this evening.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post

Glad that wait is over

Fantastic news. I imagine there will be a few corks popping later!
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Well we are stating to get a bit stressed here waiting for A level results as we have found the % of students who obtain AAB at DD’s college. This is what she needs to take up her place at University of Surrey. There were 80 students who took A levels in 2016/17 and 3% got AAB or above! DD says she is probably one of the top 5 in each of her subjects but with that % that’s not good enough if the exam board only allows the same % this year although there are about 150 there this year. She was chosen to a special session for those headed for Oxbridge and was one of 8 there including a medical student. Even though she hasn’t been told the grades submitted, she has been assured she has nothing to worry about.

DD goes to Hartpury which is an agricultural college and uni and also a sports college. She went there as they have a pre-vet enrichment course which she did alongside her A levels. Others on the course either decided not to be a vet or didn't get any offers when they applied for vet school so she is the only person in the college holding an offer to do the vet med course

I asked DD why the % is so low and she said most of the people doing A levels are only doing them in conjunction with their sports and the sport is where they concentrate so then the A levels suffer as Hartpury has got very good sports teams.

I have read that Scottish students are allowed to appeal and a panel looks over their mocks, mini assessments and homework etc which is consistently A*, A and B for DD but English students cannot. Does anyone know where we would stand if the college submitted AAA (for example) but the exam board downgraded it to a ABB if the college can show that her work warranted a higher grade?

ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Well we are stating to get a bit stressed here waiting for A level results as we have found the % of students who obtain AAB at DD’s college. This is what she needs to take up her place at University of Surrey. There were 80 students who took A levels in 2016/17 and 3% got AAB or above! DD says she is probably one of the top 5 in each of her subjects but with that % that’s not good enough if the exam board only allows the same % this year although there are about 150 there this year. She was chosen to a special session for those headed for Oxbridge and was one of 8 there including a medical student. Even though she hasn’t been told the grades submitted, she has been assured she has nothing to worry about.

DD goes to Hartpury which is an agricultural college and uni and also a sports college. She went there as they have a pre-vet enrichment course which she did alongside her A levels. Others on the course either decided not to be a vet or didn't get any offers when they applied for vet school so she is the only person in the college holding an offer to do the vet med course

I asked DD why the % is so low and she said most of the people doing A levels are only doing them in conjunction with their sports and the sport is where they concentrate so then the A levels suffer as Hartpury has got very good sports teams.

I have read that Scottish students are allowed to appeal and a panel looks over their mocks, mini assessments and homework etc which is consistently A*, A and B for DD but English students cannot. Does anyone know where we would stand if the college submitted AAA (for example) but the exam board downgraded it to a ABB if the college can show that her work warranted a higher grade?
My daughter is in a similar position, an average school where she performs well above average - but got - basically - an email of positivity from Bath today. Letting them know the procedure on results day, stating there is "leeway" in the grading requirements for students because of this year etc. It really has lifted DD's spirits.

Don't know where we would stand on procedural appeals, but do know that if it comes to it DD will sit exams in the autumn. Bath have said that if they get a worse result the better one will count, also that any conditional offer will still be there if they wait a year - so she has many options.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
My daughter is in a similar position, an average school where she performs well above average - but got - basically - an email of positivity from Bath today. Letting them know the procedure on results day, stating there is "leeway" in the grading requirements for students because of this year etc. It really has lifted DD's spirits.

Don't know where we would stand on procedural appeals, but do know that if it comes to it DD will sit exams in the autumn. Bath have said that if they get a worse result the better one will count, also that any conditional offer will still be there if they wait a year - so she has many options.
We are just waiting for an answer from Surrey but most of the other vet schools are saying that they have to go through the whole application cycle again including assessments, interviews etc. It is an oversubscribed course so it was an achievement to get the 2 offer she has. It would be a nightmare to go through it all again.

Old 6 Aug 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

I feel your pain. My DD did 4 A levels and got an A* for every piece of work or exam she completed during the courses. She needs A* A* A for Warwick and the stress is starting to kick in now. It’s crazy the system of ranking pupils in each subject.
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
I feel your pain. My DD did 4 A levels and got an A* for every piece of work or exam she completed during the courses. She needs A* A* A for Warwick and the stress is starting to kick in now. It’s crazy the system of ranking pupils in each subject.
Fingers crossed for you. I think it’s worse this year as previously if you didn’t get the results you needed it was your own fault but it would be awful if it was down to this ranking or an over zealous exam board slashing results.

Old 6 Aug 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sonill
Excited about Disney

Also rather worried here in Wales. My DDs school put its first set of students through A levels last year. They were a very small cohort whose GCSE results were significantly lower than DDs year. We also don't get to appeal though I understand the school do. Her class sizes are very small so I am concerned that any "regrading" could involve more than one grade change. Trying not to worry for now as there's nothing to be done and I am sure the school will fight her corner if needs be.

Have to go through it all the following week with GCSEs but DD2 needs 5 to go back to sixth form, has 2 already and waiting for results on 13 - surely that will work out!
sonill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List