Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Glad to hear you’ve been seen & hope things get better for you, I did say asthma a few days ago, mind you the Drs try & give everyone a pump now
I thought about asthma, but does it come on suddenly? I literally went to bed fine and woke up with a sore chest and shortness of breath, it’s so odd!
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

I have asthma and I can go to bed fine and wake up struggling but usually I have forgotten to take my preventer the night before, chest feels tight and short a breath, and can cough a lot that morning, can even happen suddenly when I have a cold or chest infection, so I now have a routine for the preventer inhaler is placed right next to my bed so I now remember to take it before bed. Hope you get some answer soon I was 30 when I started with asthma after having flu that winter, I do have a peak flow monitor I check my peak flow every morning as this really does help me if it starts to drop by 100 I make appointment with my asthma nurse and take her advice she will even go and get one of the GP's there and then if needed.

I will say that I do have a great GP surgery never been refused a same day appointment when I have called them but they do know my history I can go from really well to really ill within a short time frame.

Hope you get answers you need soon and feel better soon hope everything with your tests go well.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by suehen View Post
I have asthma and I can go to bed fine and wake up struggling but usually I have forgotten to take my preventer the night before, chest feels tight and short a breath, and can cough a lot that morning, can even happen suddenly when I have a cold or chest infection, so I now have a routine for the preventer inhaler is placed right next to my bed so I now remember to take it before bed. Hope you get some answer soon I was 30 when I started with asthma after having flu that winter
I can understand asthma starting after an illness, especially one as nasty as the flu. I’ve not been poorly though, I haven’t had a cough, sneeze, cold in months. I’m definitely not ruling it out, I’m just confused, but I’m not sure what else it could be.

I was really hoping it was something which would go away, and soon. I’m signed up for the WDW Princess Half Marathon in February and should be training but I can’t do more than 2-3 miles, even doing run/walk. and I worry I won’t ever get back past that.

I’ll wait and see what this referral brings, though I have a feeling I’ll be waiting a long time for it.
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I can understand asthma starting after an illness, especially one as nasty as the flu. I’ve not been poorly though, I haven’t had a cough, sneeze, cold in months. I’m definitely not ruling it out, I’m just confused, but I’m not sure what else it could be.

I was really hoping it was something which would go away, and soon. I’m signed up for the WDW Princess Half Marathon in February and should be training but I can’t do more than 2-3 miles, even doing run/walk. and I worry I won’t ever get back past that.

I’ll wait and see what this referral brings, though I have a feeling I’ll be waiting a long time for it.
Maybe keep a symptom diary until you have had your referral appointment
Record how you feel & what you were doing
ie- did you cough
Were you wheezy
What were you doing
What time of day
Did your breathlessness stop you doing anything
Did it happen on exertion or at rest
Did it wake you up at night
The more information you can give will help with diagnosis
Hope you will get your appointment soon
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

Our DS as asthma but only gets it when exercising so he just as a reliever before exercising, do what Talland 2016 said about a dairy it can be good for when you see the doctor or nurse.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
Maybe keep a symptom diary until you have had your referral appointment
Record how you feel & what you were doing
ie- did you cough
Were you wheezy
What were you doing
What time of day
Did your breathlessness stop you doing anything
Did it happen on exertion or at rest
Did it wake you up at night
The more information you can give will help with diagnosis
Hope you will get your appointment soon
Originally Posted by suehen View Post
Our DS as asthma but only gets it when exercising so he just as a reliever before exercising, do what Talland 2016 said about a dairy it can be good for when you see the doctor or nurse.
That’s a great idea, I will do that, thank you.
Old 11 Dec 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

So a month has passed and I thought I’d update.

My referrals haven’t yielded anything but it’s early days. The inhaler the GP gave me has not helped. The last few days I’ve been feeling worse, out of breath just from general life whereas previously it’s required some exertion. I can feel something in the back of my lungs, and my chest feels like it’s got a weight in it.

I went to the out of hours GP as I can’t get into my own surgery until January. He did an examination - BP normal, heart rate a bit high, oxygen sats 99% but 95% after he sent me for a walk, peak flow 360.

He’s none the wiser but has asked my GP to arrange more bloods and another ECG.

We’re going to Florida in February but insurance won’t cover me whilst I’m under investigation. We’ve got balances becoming due from 27th December onwards so we need to decide whether to postpone/cancel or to pay everything and see what happens. We’d obviously never travel uninsured.

Thanks again for the support.
Old 11 Dec 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Has the GP not suggested any scans?
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Mobile

Ugh, I feel for you - I got caught in this loop earlier in the year when I was under investigation for a potential kidney issue. No diagnosis - no insurance cover available. I was travelling to China and after much debate we decided to continue with the trip because a) China has really good international hospitals and b) the costs for being admitted or treated in China - worst case, weren’t too bad. Also my dr felt that my condition was unlikely to change whilst I was away.
We said at the time if it had been America - we couldn’t have risked it - the costs, if not insured are enough to ruin your life.
You are really gambling that you can get a definitive diagnosis before your trip - almost any condition can be insured (for a cost) but no one will cover you for an unknown condition.
It’s a real dilemma and you have my sympathy I hope you get answers soon.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

So a month has passed and I thought I’d update.

My referrals haven’t yielded anything but it’s early days. The inhaler the GP gave me has not helped. The last few days I’ve been feeling worse, out of breath just from general life whereas previously it’s required some exertion. I can feel something in the back of my lungs, and my chest feels like it’s got a weight in it.

I went to the out of hours GP as I can’t get into my own surgery until January. He did an examination - BP normal, heart rate a bit high, oxygen sats 99% but 95% after he sent me for a walk, peak flow 360.

He’s none the wiser but has asked my GP to arrange more bloods and another ECG.

We’re going to Florida in February but insurance won’t cover me whilst I’m under investigation. We’ve got balances becoming due from 27th December onwards so we need to decide whether to postpone/cancel or to pay everything and see what happens. We’d obviously never travel uninsured.

Thanks again for the support.
I feel for you, you know how you feel even if the test results don't show it up! My ds has been unwell for a year, he has seen gp, referred to immunology, infectious diseases and haematology culminating in a bone marrow biopsy as for a terrifying couple of weeks they suspected either lymphoma or leukemia. Luckily all his results were negative but they can't find what is causing these high blood results but decided that despite his symptoms he is fine so have discharged him Only suggestion is that he has an extremely sensitive immune system so to change all his products ie soap, washing powder, shower gel, shampoo to some totally natural ones to see if that helps!

Unfortunately unless your problems are sorted soon I think I would postpone the holiday, just not worth the risk financially or taking a long haul flight with those symptoms. Big hugs xx