Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dolphin3094
Earning More Ears

Mobile

As someone who gets bitten and reacts I have tried many things including SSS and jungle formula. Following a thread on here when we went 2 years ago I showered in Original Source Lemon and tea tree and used Incognito insect repellant bought from Holland and Barrett. I also took an anti allergy ( priton) tablet daily even though I don't suffer with allergies or hay fever.Didn't stop every bite especially at Busch but only had one or two instead of lots and didn't react quite so badly. Also used the after bite stick and aloe vera gel when I did get bitten.
Dolphin3094 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I am also considering taking garlic capsules. Not sure if that’s an old wife’s tale but I suppose it won’t do me any harm
With garlic capsules, skin so soft, citronella oil & jungle formula the folks in Florida will smell me before they see me 😂😂
I might be putting off my husband never mind the mosquitoes 🦟
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

2015 in Mexico I used/took:
-the wrong skins so soft
-garlic tablets
-vitamin b (I think)
-lemon shower gel
-mosquito milk
-anti histamine each day
Above didn’t work so bought bands and deet spray in the shop. Had a terrible holiday and tried to get a cheap flight to Orlando to escape. It didn’t help that they had a storm before we arrived and hadn’t sprayed the area.

2019 Mexico, same hotel with lots of people having loads of bites. We got a couple of bites only using the following:
- SSS (the original one)
-vick vapour rub on ankles, back of knees, elbows
-lemon shower gel
-no perfume or too much deodorant
-2x pyramid mosi-off bands on ankle/wrist
I also took high dose pyramid deet but didn’t need it.

I’m using the above combo for Mexico this year. Hopefully it still works.

They are nasty little beasties.😡

Edited at 12:29 AM.
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fluff48 View Post
-vick vapour rub on ankles, back of knees, elbows
That's interesting. Hadn't come across that one before.

Have a great time in Mexico!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
That's interesting. Hadn't come across that one before.

Have a great time in Mexico!
Thanks. No idea if the vicks helped but this combo worked last time.
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

I try to layer up. Start with a citrus shower gel as well and build up. I tend to buy the original source lemon or citrus for holidays. And build from there with jungle formula for me. If you don’t like the smell of the spray they do roll on and wipes which could help. Especially as you could then top up as the day goes on.

I recommended skin so soft to my parents as it didn’t work for them either.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
I wouldn’t trust that in a dengue area! It’s ok for nuisance bites but not for Dengue which is prevalent in many areas in Asia.
one bite between 3 of us in 14 days HK, Samui + 3 other island & Singapore. seemed to work fur us?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

After seeing a thread on here last year, we tried the bands and they definitely helped in Singapore and Bali. The little devils love me and I’ve tried most things over the years but the bands worked a treat. We bought them off Amazon and once opened, they last for about 10 days, but we changed them after 7.
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We always carry Cortisone 10 for DH when in Florida.
Available most places in the US; CVS, Target, Walgreen etc.
A small roll on type stick that you apply as soon as you know you've been bitten to relieve itching, inflammation, irritation etc; he finds it soothes any bites.

DH used to react very badly to mosquito bites; cellulitis on a few occasions needing antibiotics etc.
He uses the Jungle Formula if going out early morning or at dusk/night, the Cortisone 10 if bitten and now takes a Target own brand non-drowsy allergy relief tablet each day year round; touch wood, we visit Florida 3 times a year and little reaction to any bites for the last 3 years or so.

Edited at 10:46 AM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
After seeing a thread on here last year, we tried the bands and they definitely helped in Singapore and Bali. The little devils love me and I’ve tried most things over the years but the bands worked a treat. We bought them off Amazon and once opened, they last for about 10 days, but we changed them after 7.
Regarding the bands which brand did you use?
Also did you just put one on one wrist? Does that repel the whole body? If that makes sense ?
Thanks
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List