Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Nov 10, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafamily
Imagineer

Quantas's A380's grounded

Just heard Quantas have grounded all their 6 x A380's due to one having to make an emergency landing in Singapore on a flight from London to Sydney as one of the engines failed.

Not good for Airbus.
floridafamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Oh dear that's not good at all!
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Having seen similar threads before, can we agree to avoid "I wish I hadn't read this..." type of replies? It tends to take the thread away from the topic in hand. Having read the title of the thread, the content will be self explanatory. Thanks

From the BBC website:

The Australian airline Qantas has grounded its six-strong fleet of Airbus A380 airliners after one of the superjumbos made an emergency landing.

Qantas flight QF32 experienced engine trouble shortly after taking off from Singapore on its way to Sydney.

One of the engines "exploded with a loud bang" and the plane started shaking, a passenger told the BBC.

Pieces of debris believed to be from an aircraft were found on the nearby Indonesian island of Batam.

Qantas said the plane, with 433 passengers and 26 crew on board, experienced an "engine issue" over western Indonesia shortly after taking off from Singapore time at about 1000 (0200 GMT).

"It's a significant engine failure," Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce said at a news conference.

"We do take our safety reputation and our safety standards unbelievably seriously. And we're not going to take any risks with passenger safety - and as a precaution, we're suspending the flights of the A380 aircraft until we're comfortable that we understand the reasons for this."

No-one was injured during the incident, which ended at Singapore's Changi airport.

Smoke billowed from the aircraft, which was surrounded by fire engines after it had landed.

One of the engines was blackened and its rear casing was missing.

'Big scare'

"I was on the plane right next to engine two, which exploded with a loud bang within the first 10-15 minutes of take-off," Lars Sandberg - a DJ who was travelling to Sydney to begin a music tour of Australia - told the BBC.

"I thought that something had fallen down in cargo underneath the plane, but the plane started shaking... I'm a little bit shaken up. I travel a lot and this is the first big scare I've had.

One eyewitness quoted by AFP news agency spoke of seeing a "little bit of fire" coming from the stricken engine.

Passengers said the pilot spent at least an hour and a half circling in order to use up fuel ahead of the emergency landing. They said the landing itself was smooth.

"When we got off and saw the engine itself and the back casing burnt off, that was pretty scary," Mr Sandberg said.

"I'm just happy to be alive and safe in the terminal building."

On the Indonesian island of Batam, witnesses said they heard an explosion as the plane flew overhead.

"There were metal shards coming down from the sky into an industrial area in Batam," eyewitness Noor Kanwa told the AFP agency.

The BBC's Nick Bryant in Sydney says aviation experts have identified the debris as part of a Qantas engine casing, but that the airline has not confirmed this.

Qantas said the grounding of its A380 fleet would be followed by a full investigation.

But Singapore Airlines, which runs 11 A380 aircraft, said it had no plans to follow Qantas in grounding the fleet.

Qantas had no immediate comment on whether the incident might be related to eruptions of Indonesia's Mount Merapi over the past 10 days - which have prompted some flights above the volcano to be suspended.

Flagship airliner

This incident is a worrying development for Qantas, an airline which prides itself on an exemplary safety record.

The A380, which made its maiden flight in 2007, is the flagship of the European aviation giant's fleet.

The result of a long and costly research programme, it made its first commercial flight in 2007. It is the world's largest passenger airliner, a double-decker which can carry up to 800 people - though Qantas A380s are set up to carry about 450.

Airbus hopes the plane is winning a reputation as quiet, economical and safe.

A spokesman for Rolls-Royce, the British firm which made the plane's engines, told Dow Jones Newswires that it would "work with Qantas to identify what the problem is".

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Having followed this on the news, i must say it wouldnt put me off booking with Quantas(were off to OZ again in Decemeber next year, and can book our flights in Jan)
It could happen to any airline i guess, certainly hasnt stopped me pricing our flights with quantas.

jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

my DH is on a emirates A380 flying from Dubai as I type this. Can't wait to get the text to say he's home.
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post

I just heard this too, not good
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
joshmadty
Imagineer

so many passengers on one plane - can't be good!

Edited at 01:39 PM.
joshmadty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by joshmadty View Post
Qantas is NOT spelled with a u!
SO helpful.
Old 4 Nov 10, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Originally Posted by joshmadty View Post
Qantas is NOT spelled with a u!
Doesn't take long for someone to remind me why I hardly come on here anymore. Thanks anyway you reminded me to cancel my annual fees just before they are due.
Old 4 Nov 10, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Ah, i see the spelling police are in attendance! Better watch yourself, folks.

Anyway, yep, saw this on the news this morning, glad no-one was hurt. It doesn't put me off flying, in a way the opposite, as it gives me more faith in the pilots who fly these skies, day in day out, and thankful for their excellent skills!
Closed Thread