Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 6 May 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The Reopening of Disney Theme Parks

With Walt Disney World fans from all over the world wondering and speculating when Disney will open its parks again, the desire to get back to a 'new normal' in relation to Disney vacations is extremely strong.

There will be a phased reopening of the Disney parks and as each park opens Disney will be scrutinising and amending its policies and procedures that it puts in place for each park to maintain the health and safety of Guests and Cast Members.

The first park to open will be Shanghai Disneyland. Disney CEO Bob Chapek said on Tuesday during the company's second quarter earnings call that it plans to open its Shanghai Disneyland theme park on 11 May, 2020.

Shanghai Disneyland was the first Disney park to close due to COVID-19. Chapek told analysts during the call that the decision to reopen the park comes in part due to the lessening of the COVID-19 restrictions in China.

Shanghai Disneyland has a capacity of 80,000, however, as per government guidelines the park will open with around a 30% reduced capacity. The actual park reopening capacity may actually be more governed by public confidence rather than any figure that Disney set.

Chapek also stated that the park will open with "density control measures" and "guest capacity". Measures and procedures set for the opening, could act as a roadmap for other parks around the world.

The new measures include the following:
  • Limited attendance numbers
  • Advanced ticketing and Reservations
  • Social distancing in queues
  • Social distancing in ride vehicles
  • Social distancing in Restaurants and other facilities
  • Increased frequency of disinfection and sanitisation
A limited number of tickets will be available each day during the initial reopening. Tickets will be available from Disney's official channels and partners. Guests are required to purchase admission tickets valid on a selected date only and Annual Pass holders must make a reservation prior to arrival.

Using controlled attendance most of the rides and attractions will be open, some of the shows, dining and shopping locations will also be open. Some interactive attractions/experiences such as theatre shows and play areas will remain closed. Parades and nighttime spectaculars will not take place until a later date.

Character meet and greets will not be available, however, Disney characters will make new appearances in each of the themed lands. interactions and close-up photos will not be permitted during the initial opening phase.

Capacity will be managed in queues, restaurants, ride vehicles and other facilities. Queues will be structured and ride vehicles will be loaded to promote social distancing.

Hand sanitisers will be available at at queue entries and attraction exit, restaurants and stores. High touch locations, such as queue railings and turnstiles along with ride vehicles will have increased sanitisation.

Implementing required government health and prevention procedures, which includes
  • Temperature screening
  • Use of the government issued Shanghai Health QR code, (tracing and early detection system used in China)
  • Guests must wear a mask during their visit, except when dining.
Cast members will receive training on procedures with an emphasis on contactless guest interaction, cleaning and social distancing and will receive additional protective equipment including masks.

Quote From Disney Parks...
by Dr. Pamela Hymel, Disney Parks Chief Medical Officer

Dear Guests,

As you may have heard at Disney’s Q2 FY20 Earnings Results Webcast, our CEO Bob Chapek announced that Shanghai Disney Resort will begin the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland on May 11 – an encouraging sign for Disney parks and retail locations all over the world. After so much time at home, I know many of you are eager to enjoy the magic of a Disney parks visit, and we can’t wait to welcome you back.

I’m fortunate to work with Disney’s extraordinarily talented team of health and safety experts who are some of the most experienced in the industry. Together, with our colleagues in operations, and local health and government authorities, we’re evaluating several new and enhanced safety measures to do our part towards helping us stay well while we work, stay, and play at a Disney resort and a Disney store. I’m also working closely with the US Travel Association on a set of guidelines the travel industry may tailor to their individual businesses to help demonstrate that safety of travelers is a top focus.

To that end, I want to share an update with you about our plans and considerations as we prepare for the reopening of our parks, resorts and stores. At Disney, we’re exploring:
  • Phased reopening: We’re looking at all of our locations and how best to begin the reopening process, including a gradual reopening and/or partial reopening of certain locations. For example, the opening of retail and dining locations prior to the opening of our theme parks.
  • Physical distancing and capacity measures: As you can imagine, managing guest density in queues, restaurants, hotels, ride vehicles and other facilities throughout the park and across the resort is a major focus, as we implement physical distancing guidelines based on guidance from health authorities, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and appropriate government agencies. This will likely include implementation of guest capacity measures to comply with state and federal guidelines. We’re also exploring ways to use technology to aid us in these efforts, like with our Play Disney Parks App and through virtual queues at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
  • Cleanliness and sanitization: We’re planning increased cleaning and disinfection, determining where that should take place (for example, in high-traffic areas), and the cleaning products and processes we’ll use.
  • Screening and prevention support: We’ll follow guidance from the government and the medical community regarding enhanced screening procedures and prevention measures, including those related to personal protective equipment (PPE), such as face coverings. Some measures, like adding hand sanitizers and hand washing stations across our resorts, have already been implemented.
  • Cast training: We’re further emphasizing our strong culture of health and safety amongst our cast members, and will continue to provide new training and reinforcement as we get closer to reopening.
These are just a few examples of the many areas we are developing plans for, so please keep an eye on our online channels, where we’ll provide more details as we confirm and begin to implement our plans. Given the constantly changing global health environment, these practices may evolve as we consider the latest guidance, but we will share more information with you as we look towards reopening.

In the meantime, our focus remains on the health and safety of the entire Disney community – including the wellbeing of the Cast Members who are caring for and securing our parks and resorts during the closure. We have already implemented a number of enhanced health and safety measures, such as increasing the frequency of cleaning and disinfection in work areas, adjusting practices to promote physical distancing, and providing Cast with access to necessary PPE, including face coverings. We continue to learn from these experiences and will carry these lessons into reopening and beyond.

Finally, I want to recognize the medical professionals working to bring care and comfort in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. We will continue to do what we can to help support the medical community and our local communities during this time.

We’re looking forward to welcoming all of you back to our Disney parks, resorts and stores. Until we are together once again, we wish you and your families health, hope, and happiness.

Thank you,

Edited at 10:41 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Westhamtillidie
Earning More Ears

Initial reaction to all this is 'are there any theme parks in Russia?' I think that for quite a while the huge list of restrictions will outway the point of going on holiday in the 1st place. The theme park experience has always had it's quota of 'stress time' however you try & pre plan your day & the new restrictions will add to this 100%. Add to this with the problem of how are we going to get there? Airline companies are dropping or look like dropping almost daily, I had 3 holidays booked (Europe) at the start of the year, 2 are already cancelled, I hope to go to Florida 2021 so I could be lucky by then but this year looks like a wipe out, so,so sad.
Westhamtillidie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Bit of light at the end of a very long tunnel. Thanks for the update.
Old 7 May 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Unicorn88
Earning My Ears

This will be a learning curve for Disney and will show up really fast what works & doesn't work so will allow them to fine tune for reopening DL & WDW.

My fear is that in China they are very compliant in wearing masks so the fact that everyone Guest & staff are wearing them (& with the increased cleaning) it should keep potential transmission low in the parks. If they see Shanghai doing well they will reopen DL / WDW but trying to get the visitors to those parks to wear a mask will be a battle that I'm not sure Disney can win.

I would have no issue wearing a mask to the parks but they need everyone to comply to keep potential transmission low. I can't see that happening especially in Florida which means it won't be safe for a lot of people until a vaccine or herd immunity is reached.

Just think of the amount of eldery people that normally visit along with groups like "Make a Wish" who take immunocompromised children to visit. I just want people to take the precautions to make it as safe as possible for all people not just the young / healthy.

Will be watching Shanghai reopening very closely to make my decision when to replan my WDW holiday!
April / May 2023 and now 2024
Unicorn88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
simon
VIP Dibber

simon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile

The comments above are all very valid , we certainly have had the best of these holidays . I can never see it going back to what we know and Love . Going forward will Joe Public be able to afford to go in the first place ? Will Joe Public want too ?
simon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by simon View Post
The comments above are all very valid , we certainly have had the best of these holidays . I can never see it going back to what we know and Love . Going forward will Joe Public be able to afford to go in the first place ? Will Joe Public want too ?
Why would it not go back? Covid won’t be a problem forever. Once there’s a widespread vaccine it’ll be like flu and we’ll go back to normal. All this is temporary.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Boris85
Helping Mickey

I wonder how they’ll deal with tickets/crowds in Florida. Like us, who had tickets for April, people will already have tickets to use as last time I checked you can use unused tickets any time till the end of 2021. If they’re capping capacity, will people who already have unused tickets get priority or will it be first come first served on the day and you run the risk of being turned away.
Boris85 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Grimdogg
Trying for More Ears

We were planning on visiting Orlando again next year - now we are unsure as to whether or not to go ahead - surely the restrictions and updated policies will go forward into 2021 - and if they do - this will have a massive impact on the overal experience of the parks.

Will it be back to business as normal next summer or not?