Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 11 May 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Imagineering Story (Disney+)

I know there were probably other threads on this. Sorry - I'm too lazy to find them.

Just started watching this and one thing that struck me was that crowds and long queues at the Disney parks have been a thing since the beginning. The opening of Disneyland attracted huge crowds and the place was packed, busier than I've seen any of the parks in Florida. And the opening of Star Tours saw queues longer than 4 hours and the park had to stay open for 60 hours. Basically it didn't close for over 2 days!

Anyway, it's a fascinating history of the theme parks, although I was expecting it to be more about how rides and attractions were built. And, amusingly, you know when the episode is about to come to an end when things start to take a downward turn. It's like they want to end on a low point - like a depressing cliffhanger.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:45 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s a good series.
Read the book ‘Realityland’ on Amazon.
Old 11 May 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I really enjoyed the series. I don't remember the queues always being horrendous but it maybe that in the early days I was able to go out of school holidays.
Old 11 May 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I really enjoyed the series. I don't remember the queues always being horrendous but it maybe that in the early days I was able to go out of school holidays.
Some people here on the DIBB would sometimes say that you never got 4+ hour queues for new rides back in the "good old days". Well, clearly they were wrong!

That's not to say that the queues aren't longer nowadays or that the parks aren't more crowded. They are (well, they were until a couple of months ago anyway). Just an observation that long queues and large crowds are not a new thing.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
It is a fantastic watch and each episode throws up just a new little bit of information that keeps you watching. Those depressing cliff hangers really do show just how close the whole of Disney came to the edge of the financial cliff in the past and probably reflect the current times too.
Unmissable viewing and one of the best things I have seen for ages.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Jamie99
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just watched this too, fantastic viewing. What I found most interesting was the leadership dynamics. The business seems to have had ups and downs but interesting that it thrives most when creativity and commercial were in alignment and struggled when either dominated too much.
Old 14 May 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

I can't bare to watch this yet, I declare dramatically ha. We were due to go tomorrow, our family's first time (I've been but not since a teenager). If we are able to rebook then I will watch it, right now anything Disney just makes me sad! It sounds great though!
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
I can't bare to watch this yet, I declare dramatically ha. We were due to go tomorrow, our family's first time (I've been but not since a teenager). If we are able to rebook then I will watch it, right now anything Disney just makes me sad! It sounds great though!

Lol! I hate to break it to you but the Dibb is full of DIsney stuff! (Yes I know you know that really)
Old 14 May 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Jamie99 View Post
Just watched this too, fantastic viewing. What I found most interesting was the leadership dynamics. The business seems to have had ups and downs but interesting that it thrives most when creativity and commercial were in alignment and struggled when either dominated too much.
I found one of the episodes interesting in that it discussed Micheal Eisners impact on Disney (and WDW). I must be missing something becaise I thought - in a lot of Disney fans eyes - we was always seen as a bad influence but he seems to be the driver behind a lof ot eh expansions

What am I missing?
Old 14 May 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Lol! I hate to break it to you but the Dibb is full of DIsney stuff! (Yes I know you know that really)
Haha I know torturing myself! I had to come off the facebook groups, but lots of support on here with people feeling the same also like the hope of seeing others rebook
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List