Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 6 Aug 11, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

One of the things that I do is, when we have found a British owned villa that we like the look of I always get the home address of the owner (in Britain) and check out there house on google street view, if the front of there house is in a good clean presentable condition I think if they look after the villa like there home it should be okay
Old 6 Aug 11, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Very interesting thread.

I personally like to use sites which allow you to send a general enquiry to each owner by specific communities.
Then makes it easier to sort out the replies, which will hopefully contain a link to the individual website, which will have some nice photos.

Pool heating - I would like the website to say what temperature the pool is heated to, and whether a pool blanket on rollers is available - this information is almost never given.

Wi Fi is a must for me, games room not a must, spa is a very nice extra. I will normally put all my requirements on the general email as posted above.

Price - although most sites show price, my experience is that many owners will give a discount to advertised rates, therefore it is worth asking for a quote for the dates in question. From my persanal point of view, if there are two families sharing, generally it is easier to afford a more luxurious villa.
When I enquire, generally we only need a 3 bed villa, but I am happy for owners with larger villas also to give me quotes, if they have availability (late usually) they may decide to quote a competitive price to compete with 3 bed villas. Gives me more choice.

I prefer costs in £ but $ would not stop me booking.

I agree communication is the key, and if I am unhappy with response or tone I would not pursue the booking, and this is of course a 2 way process, and the owner has also to be happy you will take very good care of their home.

The choice is bewildering, although may becoming more limited.

After my good experience in 2007 (last minute holiday, villa booked 14 days prior to departure with US owner), we have waitied for a late booking this year, mainly as so undecided, and our party size decreased, so hoping for a late discount but also appreciate our choice of villa will be much more limited.

I am now almost certain it will be a villa with pool and not townhome/condo.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 11, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Google Street View - very out of date - our house was taken several years ago and the image is still the same! You could be looking at very outdated views!

The poster above would have nothing to worry about by not doing the garden for 6 weeks.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 11, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I like the villa but don't book it because...

I put a search in for the villa with a personal message asking for a TOTAL price inclusive of all taxes and pool/spa heating..
if I get back a general message with price per week and pool heating cost... special offers available ... (info I could already see) these go straight into my NO list ..if they can't be bothered to give me a full quote then I can't be bothered asking them again..

those photos of the pool but not the view put me off before I even ask for a quote
as is true with most of my other must haves

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 11, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dogken View Post
One of the things that I do is, when we have found a British owned villa that we like the look of I always get the home address of the owner (in Britain) and check out there house on google street view, if the front of there house is in a good clean presentable condition I think if they look after the villa like there home it should be okay
Thats really random as peoples Florida homes are looked after by Management Companies not their owners.

Sue

Edited at 09:21 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 11, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

• It is not South/South West facing
  • The pool is overlooked by other villas
  • The pool backs onto a road
  • No WiFi

There is little else that we need having stayed in several villas now.

We don't use the games room, we don't really use a spa either.

We would prefer a lake view from the pool but really as long as there are not other villas backing onto it I wouldn't mind too much.
Old 7 Aug 11, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Availability Calendar's

Some owners don't like them as people (burglars) can see when the villa is not occupied - I fully understand this view.

As a renter

If the villa site has a search by date availability for villas (some do) then there is no need to show availability calendars, they can be hidden. Also if there is an option to send requests to owners with your dates then again calendars not required.

Searching through individual home sites and checking calendars and setting individual enquires is very time consuming, but this is what may renters like - not me though.

I just like the option to choose a community or serveral communities I would like to stay in, send a request to these owners, and then review the replies and individual sites then.
Old 7 Aug 11, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
re Availability Calendars... I can understand the issues re making it known when the property is going to be empty... but as a renter I would always be looking to see a calendar on adverts/websites.

Maybe just me not wanting to send out tons of emails on properties who already have bookings.

Something more annoying though, is having an availability calendar but not updating it!
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 11, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sally2808
Earning More Ears

Flowery sofas and/or flowery bedspreads.

Date-stamped photos on websites that show they were taken several years ago. Either keep them recent or remove the stamp so I don't know.

Availability calendars not kept up-to-date.

Sally
sally2808 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 11, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I like to see lots of photographs, have an availability calendar and have good communication with the owner.

There have to be pictures of the pool area, which show whether its overlooked or not. If the pictures don't show it, I assume it is anyway and move on.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread