Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Jul 18, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

New England Road Trip - Pre Trip Report - Back Now new post

New England Road Trip

I am very excited, DH and I (both 56) and DD (24) are going on a fly drive to New England. Our dates are limited as I work in a school. I’d love to be there for the fall foliage but hopefully the longer hours of daylight and warmer weather will compensate.

Our plan is to stay or visit an attraction in each of the 6 New England States so we are moving around quite a bit. We have chosen a mixture of hotels but at least if we don’t like any of them we won’t be there for long.

We have booked flights with BA because their schedule seems to arrive at a more sensible time than Virgin, but we have booked our car with Virgin because their website made it very clear what was included in the price. All of the hotels are booked via Expedia.

Apart from the hotels that are fixed (well, we’ve changed one already) none of the activities have been booked yet and may well change a few times before we actually make up our minds.

The more I research, the more I realise that we could easily spend a lot more time at any one of our destinations, but we’ll enjoy what we can do and try not to regret anything that we miss.

Fri 10 August BA flight to Boston – pick up car – drive to Best Western Cold Spring Plymouth for 2 nights
Sat 11th Visit Plimoth Plantation
Sun 12th Leave Plymouth – possibly visit Heritage Gardens – Drive to Hampton Inn & Suites West Yarmouth 3 nights
Mon 13th Possibly ferry to Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard
Tues 14th Explore Cape Cod
Wed 15th Leave Cape Cod – Zoo at Providence – hotel Howard Johnson Mystic
Thurs 16th Mystic Seaport – drive to Yankee Candle Shop mid afternoon – D Hotel Holyoke
Fri 17th Billings Farm Museum – Kancamagus Lodge Lincoln (2 nights)
Sat 18th Flume Gorge / Cannon Mountain
Sun 19th Kancamagus Highway - drive to Lynwood Inn York harbour
Mon 20th – Nubble Lighthouse – shopping mall – return car – Lenox Hotel Boston (4 nights)
Tues 21st hop on/off bus tour, book shops, Baseball game?
Wed 22nd freedom trail tea party ship
Thurs 23rd Harvard/MIT museums (more book shops?)
Fri 24th Morning sightseeing – mid afternoon go to airport
Sat 25th Arrive home

I will try and take plenty of photos and keep notes of what we actually do and I hope they are of interest to someone. Not long to go now. 

Edited at 02:04 PM.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

You leave Plymouth the day before we arrive there

It sounds like a fabulous trip! Hope you have the most amazing time!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Sounds an amazing trip. Can't wait to hear all about it as are doing a similar one in May next year Have a great time.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyKim416
Trying for More Ears

This sounds like my dream trip, excited to read your report
DisneyKim416 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Sounds fabulous looking forward to reading your report.

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Looking great, New England is up there with my favourite places in the USA. You will love Plimoth Plantation, we tried to catch the village inhabitants out but couldn’t manage it. Cape Cod is so beautiful.
We chose Nantucket over Martha’s Vineyard as it is slightly less touristy and not so full of the very rich! I’d like to go back and see MV though.
The Kancamagus highway is also so lovely
Surprised you haven’t included Maine in this plan? My favourite place up there is Bar Harbor, really wish I was there now.

Oh and New England is the only part of America where chips are chips and not fries!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Surprised you haven’t included Maine in this plan? My favourite place up there is Bar Harbor, really wish I was there now.
We had originally included Bar Harbor but, with only a fortnight available to us, something had to give or we would have spent more time in the car than we want to. We are making a token step over the Maine border and having a night at York but Maine looks as though it could be a trip in its own right in the future.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sounds wonderful. Hope you have a great time. I will look forward to reading all about your trip.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney1sttimers
slightly serious Dibber

We’re staying at the Lenox for 5 nights before leaving on the 21st for NYC. Might pass you in the lobby!
Disney1sttimers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney1sttimers View Post
We’re staying at the Lenox for 5 nights before leaving on the 21st for NYC. Might pass you in the lobby!
It will be funny if you see yourself in the background of my trip report photo!