Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 2 Feb 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Is that a ‘party’ area?
Not during the day but the busier bars, Ricks Place, Irish Kevins, Sloppy Joes and Hogs Breath Saloon are all down the end closest to where the cruise ships dock and Mallory Square. Its a bit of a hike up Duval but we prefer the quieter end up near the Southernmost Buoy.

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
Not during the day but the busier bars, Ricks Place, Irish Kevins, Sloppy Joes and Hogs Breath Saloon are all down the end closest to where the cruise ships dock and Mallory Square. Its a bit of a hike up Duval but we prefer the quieter end up near the Southernmost Buoy.
Could I ask at what point you'd say Sloppy Joe's and the area for example gets too raucous for a 13 y/o daughter?

Google says kids are welcome there, and has 21:00 as their no under 21s watershed, but I suspect it may be prudent to depart a wee bit earlier (particularly as sunset is about 8pm in August?... So we'll want to be at Mallory Square for that).

We're staying at Pier House for a couple of nights, and that's at the Mallory Square end of Duval. Reckon our post sunset evenings will be "in resort".
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Could I ask at what point you'd say Sloppy Joe's and the area for example gets too raucous for a 13 y/o daughter?

Google says kids are welcome there, and has 21:00 as their no under 21s watershed, but I suspect it may be prudent to depart a wee bit earlier (particularly as sunset is about 8pm in August?... So we'll want to be at Mallory Square for that).

We're staying at Pier House for a couple of nights, and that's at the Mallory Square end of Duval. Reckon our post sunset evenings will be "in resort".
You don’t need to “batten the hatches” at that time it’s all very civilised. Yes the main bars have a rope and bouncer at the front from 9 and it’s over 21s only but nothing gets lively until later and you won’t see the sights you do in Magaluf etc. like you do on the reality shows. There are drag queens touting tickets for shows on a couple of corners half way up Duval but they’re all very respectful and quite funny to banter with. Nothing should worry your 13 year old at all, unless you go at the end of October for Fantasyfest 😂 I’ll report our findings on that time of year when we return in early November, it’s like a combo of Mardi Gras and Pride, should be great fun but body paint is mostly the theme 😂

Edited at 02:33 PM.
sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d also add ... don’t be put off by the above, Key West is a tranquil place day time and early evening. To be honest you’d never know it was a party town if you arrived and left during daylight hours. The streets are immaculate, even the morning after parades. It’s an amazing place, full of culture, diversity with equal respect for every class, my husband and I just adore it, hence this will be our 5th stay later this year. That said we also love Islamorada with the same passion.

Old 3 Feb 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d also add ... don’t be put off by the above, Key West is a tranquil place day time and early evening. To be honest you’d never know it was a party town if you arrived and left during daylight hours. The streets are immaculate, even the morning after parades. It’s an amazing place, full of culture, diversity with equal respect for every class, my husband and I just adore it, hence this will be our 5th stay later this year. That said we also love Islamorada with the same passion.
Thanks for your replies, not put off at all. Little one is no way over protected or bound in bubble wrap... She's one moment a princess, the next my little karateka ambushing me in house like Cato in the Pink Panther.
She ain't shielded from life, and she loves exploring other cultures.

Cheers.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had 3 nights in Key West just before Xmas - I wish it had been 30 nights!

We absolutely loved it.

Weather was great .

We were on Duval Street but at the Southermost end - about 2 blocks away and only 2 minutes from the Butterfly sanctuary.

We saw a coupe of drunk ladies - but nothing outrageous and certainly nothing that would be scary to a teenager!

We ate at Carolines and a lobster shack just opposite.
We also found a little beach shack called Lagerheads which isn't far from Mallory square - it was awesome.

Lots of really lovely places to eat and see and just wandering around was wonderful.

Id happily go back in a heartbeat!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

We’ve a trip booked for this summer, 2 nights Key Largo, 2 nights Key West, 2 nights Marathon and 3 nights Miami. Can’t wait!
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
we stayed 3 nights in the Hyatt in Marathon
lovely hotel with the bar over looking the boats, Next door to the Turtle Hospital
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

... our go to right now is Breezy Palms Motel, very close to Bud and Marys, walking distance to Lazy Days (our favourite restaurant) and a short drive to Robbie and Loreleis for sunset celebration and great food.
Ours too :-) We've booked again for this October and can't wait!
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hil View Post
Ours too :-) We've booked again for this October and can't wait!
Brilliant, thought we were the only ones 😂 stayed in a one bed poolside and the 2 bed above the office. Back poolside October, can’t wait for my first bowl of lobster bisque at Lazy Days ❤️ Breezy is definitely not for everyone but we love it.

Sharon