Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jun 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I hope you get all your money back, if the Paypal claims aren't successful I would do a chargeback on the card linked.

On another note, both Wayfair and Wish are legit. I've used both for years - the only issue being a office chair from Wayfair where the spring went couples of weeks after purchase and they gave us a full refund no questions asked and told us we could keep it.

Wish you have to wait a while for bits to arrive but I've never had any issues with the quality of what has been sent.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
I blame lockdown but really it is my own stupid fault. I was taken in by 2 ads that popped up on fb, one seems to be one of these bait &switch scams and the other plays on its name to entice you in! I thought I checked them out but obviously not well enough.

A pair of shoes turned up yesterday, nothing like the advert and when I emailed them, they want twice the price to send them back when they "might" give me a refund if they are in immaculate condition. The 2nd item has not turned up at all. Both I paid for with paypal and when I looked into it on their "community" discovered that both companies have issues but pp not doing anything so despite me opened disputes I doubt I will see that money again.

These companies seem to be the door to door salesmen/junk mail of the virtual world so I will have to use the same tactics - ignore anyone trying to sell me stuff and only go looking for what I want Makes me feel old that I fell for it
Something very similar happened to me in January except it was 2 'designer' handbags. I have no idea how I got sucked in as I am usually pretty savvy with these things. Anyway after a couple of weeks an envelope arrived with 3 pairs of 'Burberry' socks. I emailed and eventually got a reply (they were based in China) saying their distributor had made a mistake and they could not be held liable for their distributor's error and asked me to keep the socks and as a gesture of goodwill they would refund me 30%. After many emails back and forth I referred it to Virgin Money Credit Card who investigated and after a month or so did a chargeback. I can't fault them for their service and really can't believe I had embarrassed myself by being such an idiot

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
There are whole fb groups dedicated to this AliExpress dropshipping. Full of 18-22 year olds claiming to be making bank each day with all their targeted FB ads using 'hot products ' .
Their aim is to get to using fulfilment centres to reduce shipping times from China ( lots use epacket until they get to that stage ) .
Basically a whole machine it is , they also sell 'expert courses ' on how you to can make $1000 a day dropshipping from AliExpress/Alibaba
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
posted this on your other thread back when it happened, i think its still relevant for people... i've got to the point where i can now spot them a mile off, and i then report the site. yesterday, i got a fb ad for a website selling 48" samsung curved TVs for £65. yeah, because thats going to arrive!

most of these sites seem to be a generic shopify site with some nice photos (ripped off a kickstarter or some other site) and a price that is *extremely* reasonable. so reasonable you think "yeah, what have i got to lose? ill just get my money back through paypal)

update on the two items, i got a full refund on one of them, but only after jumping through various hoops. the second claim was denied, and i dont seem to be able to appeal it. because they provided a tracking number that says it was delivered, i get no money back

-----

hate to say it, but i think youve been scammed

scamdoc/view/223577

dont feel too bad, i've even been caught out TWICE in recent months. both via facebook adverts for cool gadgets. they seemed like no brainers and were at a very reasonable price.

upon deeper inspection, the products images and stuff were nicked from kickstarter for a product 5 times the price. the other item was available on amazon for 3 times the price. i now have two paypal claims in to try to claw back the money.

so yeah, even I got scammed, and i can usually spot these sort of things a mile off. both times via facebook adverts. i now dont trust *any* facebook ads, and always do a reverse image search if there is anything im remotely interested in...

*edit*
heres what i wrote on facebook last week:

BEWARE SCAM FACEBOOK ADVERTS!

i'm not someone who usually gets scammed, and can usually spot something iffy a mile off, but recently (the last few months) i've bought two things via fb ads that i've now had to put in a paypal refund claim for, as one didn't even turn up, and the other was a piece of garbage plastic not even worth a quid.

the first one was a cardboard midi controller. i thought it was cardboard, and mostly contained cheap arcade controller buttons that £30 seemed a reasonable price for it, so i thought why not, and ordered. after it not arriving, and not hearing back from the seller for over a month, i put a paypal claim in, and whilst doing so, i discovered this kickstarter, charging considerably more for the exact same thing

kickstarter/projects...controller-kit

the second item was a metal sink rack thing for £20 or so. again seemed ok for the price, so i ordered. and this photo is what turned up! the website i ordered from is long gone, but identical variants have popped up... wheedle.store/products/stain...-kitchen-drain is one of them.

so yeah. be wary of facebook ads, even I am susceptible. always pay with paypal or similar too so you have buyer protections and you aren't entering card details into a potential scam website, who could clear you out. especially if its a debit card!

now i just have to hope i get the refunds from paypal... fortunately, i'm only £50 out of pocket.

(im making this post public in case anyone wants to share with others)

Thought I had only been caught with the shoes but seems not, at least I have dd's money for the tshirts
Old 3 Jun 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I once got caught out on my mums behalf, I ordered her some lovely flowered cutlery online but it never arrived, I got in touch with PayPal only to find that they couldn’t do anything as paid for them as a friend. It still piddles me off over a year later
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

I had this with some make up products recently, I complained that the product I received was extremely falsely advertised to which they said they would give me a refund and blocked my email, so instead I called the bank, they investigated then recalled the full amount x
Old 3 Jun 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

My husband ordered a set of weights for £80 from China, they were supposed to weigh 40kg so I thought it sounded dodgy in the first place! 6 weeks later a crappy fake leather card wallet was delivered. Hes currently going through PayPal to try and get his money back
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

One note of warning you appear to of paid with paypal and paypal took the money from your card. The card company could argue that section 75 does not apply as the payment was not direct to the seller. However this is an ongoing argument and so is still worth a try if paypal won't pay up.
I would add that not all sellers are rouge and one i bougth a web cam from 10 months ago agreed to send me a new one free of charge. So just do your home work before trying a new company.

Also worth doing a reverse image search on a site such as tineye.com then you may see which other sites are using the same image. for example yours fonfony/collections/kitc...-kitchen-drain
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Am sorry this hapoened Parisdisneyfan! I do love that you used the word ‘Plonker’ though, made me think of Rodney Trotter!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
oh dear I recently purchased a pair of shoes from a website claiming to be Russell and Bromley outlet, I am now thinking I have been dupped and will probably either not receive a quality pair of shoes or receive nothing at all.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List