Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Jun 20, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile Travel Insurance

We currently have annual worldwide travel insurance via Virgin, this expires September 2020, however we have Florida already booked for October 2021. Under the current situation would you recommend continuing my insurance (would me paying a year for nothing) or hold out until November 2020 and take out policy which would cover Florida.
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’d ask your current insurers what will still be covered and what won’t if you renew. If afraid most annual insurances are dropping Covid related cancellation insurance for renewals. Seems unfair but it is a new policy.

Assuming there is no advantage to buying a new annual policy with your current provider I’d just look for the best value policy that meets your needs. You won’t get Covid cancellation now but I would have thought in your timescales as long as you have Covid related medical which most will still cover that shouldn’t be a major issue
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I can fully understand your financial thinking.

The only real risk I see in delaying renewal is if you have to cancel for any reason between Sept 2020 and Nov 2020 and you'll have no insurance cover in place. Is it just a deposit you may lose if you have to cancel? If so you may consider having no cover a better financial risk than paying 2/3 months too early.

I've just tested the market as I do every year because of our ages and PEMCs and none of the dozen or so that I tried covered cancellation loss due to Covid. We have to pay over £850 per annum though so I do test the market thoroughly.

Mick
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Yeah we have only paid deposit £550, have learnt my lesson about paying additional off now as so hard to claim back so just keep balance in my bank until due from now on.
Think need to 'test the market' nearer the time, I didnt think would get covid cancellation cover now but was more the medical cover I would want.
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
Yeah we have only paid deposit £550, have learnt my lesson about paying additional off now as so hard to claim back so just keep balance in my bank until due from now on.
Think need to 'test the market' nearer the time, I didnt think would get covid cancellation cover now but was more the medical cover I would want.
Our renewal was with Staysure and included unlimited medical cover if you were ill with Covid over there.

Always safe to pay all elements of a holiday with a CC anyway to get S75 cover then at least you can recover from the supplier or bank if they cancel.

Having said that I'm still awaiting over £1,900 from VA requested on 6 April. Along with 100,000 others I guess.

By Sept the insurance market may have settled - who knows?

Mick
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks will hang on another couple months and take it from there! You just never know what to do for best!
Do you get S75 cover with debit card?
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thanks will hang on another couple months and take it from there! You just never know what to do for best!
Do you get S75 cover with debit card?
I don't know to be honest. To the best of my knowledge you don't but during the Thomas Cook insolvency last September lots of Dibbers were getting money back from their current accounts using "charge back" but I've no idea what that is I'm afraid. Nor the legal description of how it works.

Not a personal question honestly but you may choose not to have a CC? They are safer than using a DC basically because if a DC is hacked they get straight to your bank account. If a CC is hacked the bank are responsible as soon as it's apparent.

Mick
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks! No I have a CC which can use then just pay straight off that would be fine. Was just curious to see if same applies to DC.
I appreciate info.
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thanks! No I have a CC which can use then just pay straight off that would be fine. Was just curious to see if same applies to DC.
I appreciate info.
We use credit cards for all such purchases but the companies don't make any money out of us.

Large purchases such as flights for example we book on the day after the CC statement is made up (assuming price is right obviously ) then we pay off in full from our holiday savings account. Get the maximum length of free credit from them.

Mick
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

I keep seeing a lot of confusion over this. If you have an annual policy and booked a trip before March then when it comes to renewal they are supposed to be still covering that trip for the virus. I think a lot are giving false info so you don't renew as they obviously don't want to cover it.

Edit... For the op, just realised trip booked for next year, it depends when you booked the trip.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!

Edited at 09:21 AM.
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List