Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Aug 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Adding an older driver can be counter productive to a black box policy. Yes we bring down the initial policy fee due to lower risk, but our ingrained bad habits trash their "driving score" so they don't get such a big good driver discount on renewal.

We stopped driving DDs car as everytime we used it she got a "bad driving warning" email the next day
I’m always much more careful if I drive DDs car with the black box, she always checks her score after I’ve driven and I never affect her score.

My DD has kept a black box for her 2nd year to keep her renewal down as we live in a high price postcode, she is with Tesco this year and gets extra miles per month for good driving. She got 98 out of 100 extra miles this month
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Adding an older driver can be counter productive to a black box policy. Yes we bring down the initial policy fee due to lower risk, but our ingrained bad habits trash their "driving score" so they don't get such a big good driver discount on renewal.

We stopped driving DDs car as everytime we used it she got a "bad driving warning" email the next day
True, however if he gets his own car and goes down the black box route we won't be driving the car (not very likely we will need to drive it at all).
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
True, however if he gets his own car and goes down the black box route we won't be driving the car (not very likely we will need to drive it at all).
Don't tell the insurance that though. Whilst it is impossible to prove, it is technically fraud to insure someone as a named drive that you know will never drive the car.

That is if course very different legally to insuring someone who "may" drive the car but in fact never does.

So long as you don't say to them "ah, yes well we won't actually drive it" you have not done anything wrong though
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Don't tell the insurance that though. Whilst it is impossible to prove, it is technically fraud to insure someone as a named drive that you know will never drive the car.

That is if course very different legally to insuring someone who "may" drive the car but in fact never does.

So long as you don't say to them "ah, yes well we won't actually drive it" you have not done anything wrong though
We will be named drivers incase we need to drive it so the option is there. I don’t think ideally we want to go down the black box route unless it works out a lot cheaper... need to decide on a car so we can get some accurate insurance quotes now.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

We will be named drivers incase we need to drive it so the option is there. I don’t think ideally we want to go down the black box route unless it works out a lot cheaper... need to decide on a car so we can get some accurate insurance quotes now.
My son had a black box on his car for the first year, it gave me huge peace of mind that he would be sticking to the speed limits and driving safely
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Our son has had a black box for over a year now. He hasn’t had a single notification on it. Personally I think all new drivers should have to have one fitted. It was always said that a driver only learned to drive after they passed their test. With increased traffic this is even more pertinent now.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Low powered cars aren’t always the cheapest to insure , my sons 1.6 diesel Zetec S fiesta is cheaper than all his friends 1.2 Corsa’s and polo’s
( it was the same when my daughters best friend had a 1.6 mini for her first car )

He does have a black box but there are no time restrictions on his , he’s with wise insurance .

Post codes also make a big difference to insurance .

I know of one lad who had his insurance cancelled though due to his awful driving , and another that was on a final warning from his insurance company .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Both my kids have had / have black boxes and it’s really no issue to them .
Neither had any restrictions and both got some money back .

It’s rare we drive our sons car but we used to our daughters and my husband always used to score 90-95 in it so it actually boosted her score .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

My children had black boxes for the first year. They used Hastings Smart Miles, My Policy & More Than. All 3 policies had no restrictions/curfews and all 3 companies were fine. None of the companies penalised their driving but More Than paid bonuses quarterly on a pre paid MasterCard.

All 3 of them had identical policy costs and one drove a £4,500 4yr old Ford KA, one drove a £500 12 year old Vauxhall Corsa and one drove a £11,500 2 year old Volkswagen Polo. Their policies were within £50 of each other so I couldn’t find much logic with old car v new car, boy v girl or car value either.

All 3 of them had myself and my husband on their policies as named drivers. It bought down the cost on all policies. I drove all 3 cars on occasion and my husband only drove them if they had to go to the garage for a service or MOT - or if he had to move them on the driveway etc.

Also, the cost of a policy without a black box was approximately £2,000 more for the first year.

Edited at 11:13 PM.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Thanks for replies. It’s good to hear positives about black box policies.