Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Feb 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Ancestry DNA or 23 and Me

Has anyone used either ofthese DNA tests? Interested in finding out a bit more about my family tree. I'm wondering what other people thought if they had used them?
Pjamas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
brown4034
Excited about Disney

I tried to use ancestry but to properly use it they charge. I was curious about my mums family as she was adopted but didn't get very far 😬
Old 14 Feb 17, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I'm reading this with interest as I have been thinking about the ancestry DNA test for years and would love to read true experiences of it.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
brown4034
Excited about Disney

Me too 😀👍🏻
Old 14 Feb 17, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by brown4034 View Post
I tried to use ancestry but to properly use it they charge. I was curious about my mums family as she was adopted but didn't get very far 😬
I know how you feel! I have decided to budget some funds towards this as it is something I really want to know about and if it costs then so be it. I am going to invest in a DNA test too I think, just looking into all the options now. So interesting when there is adoption involved etc.
Pjamas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

It depends what you want from it. I've done the ancestry DNA and what it told me about my ethnic heritage was interesting. The closest links it found for me were some possible third cousins. I already have a huge tree I've been working on for around 20 years. I haven't had time to check it all out, but the cousins I've checked out were relatives. It's not going to provide a tree for you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Going soon!
Excited about Disney

I've done 23 and me.

Not had much success with the ancestor part of it (most users are in the US) but occassionaly I get an email to say I've got a potential new relative... usually 4th or 5th cousin susoected but in digging a bit, it comes to a bit of a dead end.

What is interesting is the medical side of it. It gives you what your traits are and what likely interactions you could have with medication. Have I found it useful? No. Have I found it interesting? Very.

Hx
Going soon! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to do both Ancestry and 23 and Me as they both give such different data. I am sending them off today, really excited to see what comes back!
Old 16 Feb 17, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

If you have a dead end not so far back in your family tree it could point you in the right direction. It could be useful on DW side as we don't know who one of her great grandfathers was as her great grandmother wouldn't say (not married at the time and was a social stigma at the time). The only thing we know is they weren't British.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pjamas View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have decided to do both Ancestry and 23 and Me as they both give such different data. I am sending them off today, really excited to see what comes back!
Good Luck x
Hopefully you are related to the Royal family and have a huge tract of land hidden somewhere for you
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List