Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 4 Jun 19, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Pans
Excited about Disney

Is my son bonkers?

My son (19) has got it into his head that he wants to go the MK on our arrival day to see the fireworks. We are due to land at around 2pm local time and I guess by the time we get to AKL it will be approx 530pm.

Our original plan was to use the pool and get a bite to eat before starting in earnest the next morning. To make matters my wife now thinks it’s a good idea as well!

My view is that the early start, journey and time difference will take it out of us and that my wife and son have underestimated this. Having said that I don’t want to be the odd one out.

Has anybody else attempted the MK on arrival day or am I right ( as usual )?
Pans is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
jadepansy459
slightly serious Dibber

Yes we did it once before and honestly we were completely delusional by the time the fireworks started.
When we arrived we were so excited we just wanted to go to MK and just soak it all up. However, this was not the best plan as we were both awake at 3am the following morning so could have used an extra bit of kip. We haven’t done it since 😂
jadepansy459 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Sorry trying to work back off of your counter, if you arrive the Sun then just tell them to forget it as it's MNSSHP For us much rather be "up & at them" 1st morning- they'll just suffer for it next morning
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Everyone is different, But there is no way I would go of to MK to watch the firework with thousands of people after I had been travelling for hours, I usually feel tired and just want to unpack, Have a walk around resort, Grab some food and sleep feeling refreshed and ready to go for rope drop the next morning.
Your son will have plenty of time over the holiday to watch the fireworks.
I am with you on this.
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Absolutely no way would I go to any park on the day I arrive.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMermaid
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Same as above!

When I visited for the first time in 2009 I was desperate to go straight into the park after the flight - what I actually did was nearly fall asleep into a bowl of chips in the OKW cafe 🤣

I’d convince them to get some proper good sleep and head there in the morning - maybe book an early morning breakfast reservation to get into MK whilst it’s quiet
MinnieMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
MrIncredible
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Mobile

I've done it before. It was great! I'd advise just to 0lay it by ear - if you feel like it when you get there then do it.
MrIncredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I think your original plan is better but see how you feel on the night.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Don’t forget that if you do this, that is one day of your tickets gone.

On both of our trips there were severe delays and we have never actually managed to check in before about 10pm. We did venture to DS last time, but only because it was 10 min walk from us in SSR!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pans View Post
My son (19) has got it into his head that he wants to go the MK on our arrival day to see the fireworks. We are due to land at around 2pm local time and I guess by the time we get to AKL it will be approx 530pm.

Our original plan was to use the pool and get a bite to eat before starting in earnest the next morning. To make matters my wife now thinks it’s a good idea as well!

My view is that the early start, journey and time difference will take it out of us and that my wife and son have underestimated this. Having said that I don’t want to be the odd one out.

Has anybody else attempted the MK on arrival day or am I right ( as usual )?
I've never gone to a park, but I have been up that late on arrival day, and yes it knackers you out. You hit a zombie like state, so whilst you are there you are not quite able to enjoy it to it's fullest.

I know it will sound unconventional, but I've found the best way to handle it is to try and sleep that first night on UK time, so your body clock gives you good proper rest. It doesn't feel right to arrive on holiday and go to bed by half eight, but it works. I sleep on UK time and then unpack and such like the following morning at 4am...after a lie in! We then rope drop Magic Kingdom.