Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Dec 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jcarter
Proud to wear my Ears

Anyone else not had a pay rise for 11 years?

I have worked for the same company for 12 years and after the first year I got a pay rise but the following year the recession came along and since then I haven't had a pay rise.
Things are still tough for the company however I have reached a point where I am feeling very undervalued when I hear my friends/family all getting pay rise but I don't want to leave my job as I enjoy what I do. So anyone else out there in the same position as me how understands how I feel or can anyone offer some advice please on how I go about speaking to my boss about getting a pay rise? Note: this is a small business and the boss feels rather aggrieved about the pension contribution he has to make every month so this is not an easy situation! Its a discussion I have with him every month when I process the payroll!
jcarter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBeliever
Getting Excited

Three Choices:

1) Get promoted within the company you're in, promotion will come with a payrise. This may be difficult for you if you are in a small business.

2) Speak to your boss and ask for a payrise. Don't hint, don't beat around the bush. Ask for one but be prepared to back it up with a reason why.

3) Leave the company you are with and find a better paying job elsewhere.

You should never settle in a job where you feel as if you are undervalued.
DisneyBeliever is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

My OH is a teacher and hasn't had a rise as long as I can remember.
The company I worked for also had pay freezes for many years.
So very common.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Personally I think unless an organisation is loss making to the point of near liquidity they should be paying inflationary payrises to all staff each year. It's usually not the staff's doing that an organization is not doing well (that's usually down to poor decision making by directors / management - and I bet you they are still getting payrises / bonuses…)

What they have effectively done is given you a paycut of 10 years of compounded inflation (I don't have my calculator with me to work out what % that is) - and doing so have funded their business / band aided loss making activities.

I think you either need to leave, or ask your boss to give you 10 years worth of inflationary payrises. I wouldn't put up with one year of no inflationary payrise let alone 10

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
As far as I know the public sector hasn’t had a pay rise in ten years making life rather difficult just now.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I work in the public sector and have had a succession of derisory pay rises between 0.5 and 1% Even these have been entirely offset by increases in pension contributions so my take home pay is about what it was in 2012.

As said if you want a pay rise ask. Have good reasons why. For instance are you doing more than you did when you started you should’ve more capable so perhaps have taken on additional responsibilities. Ideally have some comparable salaries you could earn elsewhere with your skills. As a back up have some suggestions for additional respo you could take on to help justify a pay rise.

You can’t just rely on no pay rise for X number of years as your only reason.

It’s probably a good idea to ask for a proper meeting with the actual decision maker and let them know in advance what you want to discuss
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydreamer29
A Guest at All-Stars

I've just requested a substantial payrise.

I asked for a meeting with my line manager and took 2 job descriptions of similar roles in the same industry to benchmark my salary.

I did this tho very much prepared for them to turn around and say well apply for them ones instead.
Disneydreamer29 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Personally I think unless an organisation is loss making to the point of near liquidity they should be paying inflationary payrises to all staff each year. It's usually not the staff's doing that an organization is not doing well (that's usually down to poor decision making by directors / management - and I bet you they are still getting payrises / bonuses…)

What they have effectively done is given you a paycut of 10 years of compounded inflation (I don't have my calculator with me to work out what % that is) - and doing so have funded their business / band aided loss making activities.

I think you either need to leave, or ask your boss to give you 10 years worth of inflationary payrises. I wouldn't put up with one year of no inflationary payrise let alone 10
I dont disagree.
But big corporates are of the view - if you dont like it, go somewhere else. Zero loyalty.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post

I was with a company when I left college for 10 years. The only pay rise I got was after my 3 months probationary period. I was made redundant after 10 years though and went to a different company in which pay rises were given on how you performed. Lucky I was really good at my job and within 5 years added over £3p/h, doesn’t sound much but it was good for retail 😂

Its difficult with a small company. I do go by your don’t ask you, don’t get’ but just be prepared to for them to say no.

Edited at 08:10 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I dont disagree.
But big corporates are of the view - if you dont like it, go somewhere else. Zero loyalty.
^ this

i work in IT and this year i got a 2% rise only 60% of my colleagues got a rise as there wasnt a budget for a rise for everyone

this is despite being constantly bombarded with emails on how great we are doing as a corporation, xx consecutive qtr of record growth etc etc

but if you speak up/ask you will be told if you think you can earn more elsewhere you a free to leave...
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List