Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 11 Jun 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Wheelchair at check in

Hi I am travelling on Friday with a manual wheelchair for my son for the first time. Can someone who has checked in a wheelchair before let me know what the process is? Do I need to stick ID labels on it or do check in staff label it? Does it go in a big bag or just on the conveyor belt with the cases? Is there any advice on avoiding it getting damaged? When it folds down there will be a separate cushion for the seat. What's the best way to avoid this getting lost without having to take it on with my hand luggage?

Flight is BA Edin - Gat - MCO

Any advice greatly appreciated

Edited at 10:51 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Well for a start you're best taking him in it to the door of the plane where they take it off you. They tag it there. I would take the cushion on board with you. I take the hangers of the front as well- just in case. If you book special assistance they will bring it back for you at MCO. Then you can use the wheelchair lane at immigration. Much quicker. Hope that helps.
Edit . I've only ever done MAN - MCO on Virgin but I doubt BA are any different.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you Twiggy, I had asked about keeping the chair til we get to the gate but BA said best to check it in and use their disability assistance where they will use one of their own chairs to wheel him to the gate. Thats why I was wondering if they would just load it onto the conveyor belt with my cases and if so would the protect it in any way?
Old 12 Jun 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

How old is your son?
My son always keeps his chair to the plane the airline ones are huge for kids and you have to wait for someone to push you if he has his own you can make your own way to immigration. You do have to wait untill everyone else is off the plane though but that's no bother really as you would have to wait for your bags anyway.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

I've always taken my sons wheelchair to the door of the plane. It's usually already tagged by this stage. I've never flown with BA so unsure if it's their policy. As someone else mentioned there can be quite a wait for an airport wheelchair and it has to be pushed by a member of staff. Unsure of your sons condition but the airport wheelchairs maynot offer the support he requires and also would he be happy with a stranger pushing him. Personally I'd tell them your keeping your sons chair until you board.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you for your replies. My son is 21, he also has learning difficulties hence the reason I am not letting him loose on a scooter! Far too many kiddies around the parks. He can walk on and off a plane and short distances around the airport. I think I will ask if we can take our own chair to the gate. He needs double hip replacement and although he gets tired walking he would probably manage walking to immigration if he had to.
Old 13 Jun 17, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Cockahoop View Post
Thank you for your replies. My son is 21, he also has learning difficulties hence the reason I am not letting him loose on a scooter! Far too many kiddies around the parks. He can walk on and off a plane and short distances around the airport. I think I will ask if we can take our own chair to the gate. He needs double hip replacement and although he gets tired walking he would probably manage walking to immigration if he had to.
He would be better in his chair especially if there are planes just in front of you at immigration. The queues can be very long indeed. In his chair it's a relatively short queue of other wheelchairs.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List